SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Shortened heat cycle?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Shortened heat cycle? « Previous Next »

Megan C
Nursing Foal
Username: Drumdoch23

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare foaled on 04/18/10 came into heat six days later, and her foal heat only lasted TWO days. According to my math, she should have gone back into heat during the last week of may. Yesterday 05/16/10 she came back into a STRONG heat. Today, she seems less interested... I'm concerned she may be on her way out again?
Vet is coming out tomorrow to ultrasound to see where we are... would like to get her re-bred.

My question is, Could there be some reason why her cycles are shortened? last year when I bred her, she was in heat nine days... that was the norm for her... seven to nine days.

Curious to hear any information anyone has to offer? I'm sure the vet will be able to shine some light on the situation as well.

Megan C
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, good news. Had the vet out to ultrasound, and she will be ready this thursday to breed :D (fingers crossed of course.)
seems it wasn't much of a problem after all (knock on wood......)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it Megan.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to respond to this and then got called away and never got back... sorry!

If the mare foaled 04/18 and then showed heat for a couple of days 6 days later, those 2 days were probably the days she was closest to ovulation. It's not uncommon for mares with foals at foot to not display prolonged estrus, but just very close to ovulation. So... if that was the case, we can presume ovulation on or about 04/26. Allowing a 14 day diestrus period, that would mean that she would be likely to return to estrus (but may not show it) about 05/10 and - again using the presumptive - if she were in estrus for about 7 days, with an ovulation towards the end of that time, perhaps showing again only around the time of ovulation, that would mean estrus display approximately 05/16-17 - which is exactly when you posted the original question! In other words, she was indeed behaving precisely as one would predict.

Now however, you have thrown the proverbial wrench in the works ("spanner" for those outside the USA), with her being alleged to be ready to breed Thursday! So all of my above calculations are of no value... I hope!!!

You might want to confirm suitability of breeding on Thursday again, and remember that mares can have mid-cycle follicles... :-(

Megan C
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh no! haha. well, the vet was out and said he measured two follicles... one at 31 and one at 35mm. He is coming back tomorrow morning to re-check her again. He may give her a shot then, (of what, I can't recall... SO many different hormone shots...) but something to encourage ovulation. We will be breeding on Thursday evening, with hopes that she catches. (Live cover.)
I will have to keep you guys posted in 15 days (will ultrasound at day 14) to see if we have a foal!!! Fingers crossed!

Megan C
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so not as easy as I thought.
Today we did another ultrasound, to find a hemorrhagic follicle! we are giving her lutalyze (sp.) on Monday... hope that clears this up and we'll try again.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US