SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What to do with the foal when teasing mama?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » What to do with the foal when teasing mama? « Previous Next »

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I have not ever been in this pretty normal situation. In the past, I either had very easy to read mares and/or no foal around. I also usually do AI and now I have to breed live cover. So a few changes for me. We tried to tease my mare today by bringing her and foal into a stall and then taking mare out and over to a close by pen with the teaser. Well, she was upset about the foal and could care less about the teaser. Last year it would take her 10 minutes to warm up to our teaser and actually show herself "in" and that was without a foal. They didn't even think she was ready to breed at the shed either, but I have a foal to prove that she was...so I don't have the easiest mare to read on top of things. Now I have a foal in the way of this. I need advice. Also, when we returned the mare to her foal within minutes...she acted very strange, started to pin her ears at her filly and act as if she was going to reject her or attack her. So we didn't turn her loose, we just brought her and foal back to their paddock and I fed her some lunch (grain) to get her mind off of being mean and put her back into the normal routine she is used to. She kind of acts like she doesn't want to nurse the filly sometimes and won't ever set still. But then I see her let her nurse after awhile, usually in the stall though. So what's the best way to tease a mare with a foal by her side and also what are your opinions about my mare's behavior towards her foal after the teasing attempt? Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Ad TB
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tease the mare with the foal by her side, have somebody hold the foal so that she doesn't kick her.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no hard and fast rule on teasing mares with a foal at foot. With some mares, they will respond better if the foal is left in the stall and the mare is taken to the tease rail; with others one has to take the foal to the tease rail with the mare and hold it in front of her. Some mares lose their minds because the are worried about the foal being there; some mares lose their minds when the foal is left back in the stall. It's one of the conundrums of breeding mares with a foal...

On top of that, some mares with foals at foot will not show to a stallion no matter what - or perhaps will show just on the day (or even for a few hours on the day) of ovulation.

You may end up having to go with repeated ultrasounds. Other than that, you will just have to experiment to see whether the mare gets on better with or without the foal at her side when being teased. Do be careful though - these new mothers can be vary dangerous to handle in this type of situation.

Allison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much! I will give the "take the foal with her approach" and hope I don't have to do daily ultrasounds (I suspect I might have to though). Oh well, got to do what you have to! Thanks goodness my husband is quite a hand because you are right, new mothers can be very unpredictable and dangerous. Is it possible that during the first cycle after the foal heat that a mare can have post partum depression? Just wondering, probably a stretch.. but she sure isn't really herself. Thanks again!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3275
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with my mares, i find it is easiest if i let the mare and foal roam the hallway of my barn while i hold the stallion. Typically, the mare will place the foal in front of her, and back right up to the stallion. Sometimes i have to follow them around, as the foal will wander off, but the mare still keeps it in front of her and the stallion behind her. Works well for me, though i don't know that it would be as easy with full sized horses!! LOL

Allison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all! I ended up walking the teaser by her from a far distance while she was turned out herself. She did position the baby at first behind her and then as she started to really tease in, the significance of the foal being there greatly decreased. She even let the filly stay at her side. It was a drastic difference and she decided on her own how she wanted things which was most the battle it turns out! Thanks again, all the ideas really helped me figure something out that would work. She is much easier to deal with this week, either she is getting the hang of it or "really being in" changes the rules quite a bit with her!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US