SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding woes.....LOL

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Breeding woes.....LOL « Previous Next »

Chaz
Weanling
Username: Chaz

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK so after this thread http://www.equine-reproduction.com/board/messages/9305/33557.html?1266430100

Heres where we are at on this mare.

We gave her some hGC(sp?) and that got her out of that funky heat cycle on Feb. 19th

She came back into heat on Feb 28th
so we bred her every over day until she went out on March 10th. We thought we got her that cycle..WRONG She came back into heat on March 21st. This time I took her to the vet. He found that she had 5 large follicles. (2)30cm on the left ovurey and (1)35cm, (2)40cm on the right. He said her folds are fair so she should ovulate within 24hrs but no promises on this mare... she had some fluid not a lot but he did give her some oxy, as he thought it wasn't good to see fluid 48hrs after breeding. So here I am, I bred her last night and taking her to the vet in a couple of hours to see how bad the fluid is.... If she ovulated we will probably flush her and get her cleaned up before it drops into the uterus. If she didn't ovulate then we will probably check her tomorrow... See what things look like.... Sigh.......

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just brain storming....would it be a bad idea if she did not drop the follicle today to give her some des. or hgc and try to force the ovulation? Or is that a bad idea...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you actually confirmed ovulation? i.e. a visible CL per ultrasound or elevated progesterone levels in a blood-assay? A 10 day standing estrus coupled with subsequent multiple fairly large follicles is strongly suggestive of a transitional mare.

Intrauterine fluid 48 hours post breeding is bad. You should be following an oxytocin protocol, starting 4 hours post breeding.

Deslorelin or hCG given in the face of uterine edema and a 35 or 40 mm follicle (respectively) during transitional phase will often push them over the edge to ovulation.

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update::

I took her to the vet last night. U/S showed (2) follicles on the left still, and now only (2) on the right..one of the right side follicles is still present but starting to shrink. We decided to give her some hCG. U/S showed no fluid so oxy is doing its job. I will be breeding her again today, fallowed by another shot of oxy just in case. Her folds are still very fair as well. The vet said one of the Follicles on the right side is like a 42mm and is soft and shaped right. He suspects with the way her folds are and with the hCG that one should ovulate today sometime. Coupled with the breeding If we don't catch her on this one atleast we will be able to U/S her and be a step ahead of her next cycle. Her next vet appt. is tomorrow evening.

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bred her last night and gave her the shot of oxy....Taking her in a few to the vet for a U/S. She is still showing to my stallion today...Its been about 40 hours since her shot of hGC.

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took her to the vet on last Friday. U/S confirmed ovulation of 2 maybe 3 follicles. I will be taking her in on 4/12/10 for a conrfirm preg. check and to check for twins/triplets...

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today is day 11 still no heat... appt. is next Monday to check for preg.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Chaz, I hope she is preggo for you!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would be unlikely to see an onset of the next estrus until about 12 to 14 days after the end of the previous one. A return at 11 days would be early.

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn!

Today is day 14 no sign of heat this a.m. but she normally goes in at night for some reason...So I'm not holding my breath.

Vet appt. was bumped from Mon. to Fri.(tomorrow)

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2577
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD LUCK!!!! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chaz, any word from the vet appointment?

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vet appt. is later today.... She's not preggers though... She came in estrus last night. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath. My vets office opens in like a hour. I'm at a total loss. We did everything text book style. So here are my questions,

Could it be my colt? He's only 2 this is his test breed. We had him collected in Feb. he had fairly decent swimmers for a colt.

What else could be wrong with the mare?

Should I try a diff. stallion?

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talked to my vet. We are going to culture her and do a biopsy... My vet is having a hard time believing its my colt. So lets see what the tests say. I'm not sure if I want them to come back that she is clean or dirty. Atleast if she has a infection or something we can start to fix the problem but if she comes back clean we'll go back to scratching our heads.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a very good thing to do the culture and biopsy! It's a good first step and if it does come back clean, can you check your colt to see if his semen is good?

Chaz
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tests came back clean and perfect....Seasons almost over now. I decided to list her for sale. My breeding program is just to small for a testy mare. I need reliable broodies...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US