Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 11:38 am:
Hi I'm in need of some advice please. My mare went into heat Jan. 23. We have been breeding her every other day since. (Dont worry no Dec. babys here this is a draft mare that has had 5 foals normally foaling around 372 days)
I took her in on the 8th and had her u/s and she had 2 follicles. One at 42 the other at 53. The vet said give her one more week. Which we did. I took her back on the 12th for a u/s to she where she was at. She still had both follicles. The vet then figured she is Anovulatory. So we gave her a hormonal shot to force the ovulation. Now its been about 5 days and she is still showing to my stallion. We have high show hopes for this offspring so we are trying to make this happen asap. Any ideas on what to try next? If anything I just want to end this cycle so we can start a new one in March. Thanks!
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:48 pm:
At this time of year, mares are often "transitional", meaning that it is the time of year between winter anestrus (no cycling) and the regular ovulatory cycling period. This is typified by prolonged estrus periods with no ovulation at the end of them. Early season breeders usually attempt to promote the onset of the regular cycling period by the use of a lighting protocol (review that article for associated information).
If this is indeed the issue you are facing, then the only practical solution at this point is to wait for the onset of the ovulatory season. If on ultrasound you are seeing uterine edema (or alternatively once you are seeing it if you aren't now), you can possibly promote the onset of an ovulatory estrus by putting the mare onto a course of altrenogest (either Regumate for 10 days or a single dose of biorelease altrenogest from BET Pharm - either will have to be ordered through your veterinarian). Note that use of a progestin prior to uterine edema presence will have limited or no success.
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 01:08 pm:
Thanks for the fast response Jos! I am going to give my vet a call about the regumate or biorelease. Thanks.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: