SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is she in heat or what??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Is she in heat or what?? « Previous Next »

Susan
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay I have a mare that foaled may 12 and am wanting to breed her for a june baby and well I started teasing her to my stud last Monday and she winks and squirts urine and swishes her tail all around and walks to the fence and puts her rearend in his face and walks away, but when I put my stud in with her she wanted to kick him and so I seperated them. I then checked her again on wed. and she did the same thing and so I put him back in and she kicked him at first but stood for him to breed. Well they've bred every day since last wed. Today she was backing up to the fence and holding her tail up for him and of course still winking and all that, so I let them breed again. After they bred my stud started nursing her.. I instantly made him quit and put him back out to pasture and put mom and baby back together.

My question is, Is she truly in heat or do some mares wink and squirt urine even if there not in heat? I was thinking this because of maybe fear of him getting to close to her foal. I just dont know what to do as she seems like she's in constant heat. My stud no matter what is always ready.
Is there a way I can really tell? Oh I dont have the mare and stud together because of fear of the colt getting hurt. I always put him in the stall before I breed them..

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, sounds to me like she was in heat. Typically, they will not do this with a foal at their side unless they're in heat. (In my experience). It's completely normal for her to scream or kick at him first, just to establish the fact that she is indeed the boss. They are usually in heat a day or two before 'standing' for the stallion. If she's letting him breed, I'd keep putting them together until she stops letting him. I have to admit, I have never seen my stallion try and nurse though! LOL thats too funny

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, Thanks for the response. They bred again today. I'm just wondering when there going to be done. seems like forever!! I wasn't going to breed anymore but decided what the heck.. lol. Anyway hows all your babies doing? Did any of them shed out to have spots?
I ended up selling Julie and Charm. So now I'm back down to 4 mini's.
Anyhow just wanted to say hi and thanks for the response.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2498
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Susan, One of my mares actually stood for 10 days! This is the longest I have ever seen one go. Usually it's about 6 or 7. All my foals are doing great!! Tiny Boomer is still very tiny. And yes, a couple of them did color out a bit. The bay mare will eventually have a full blanket to the withers, as she has alot of white hairs coming back in in a pattern. The little black foal might go grey like her mother, and has white hairs thruout her coat. Cash, I just bathed and shaved him, he has a couple of white spots about the size of pencil erasers, and about 7 black spots on each hip. It's really weird, because he's black, and we couldn't see it until he was shaved!! I haven't clipped the last one yet, but plan to this week. He also has alot of white coming thru, so we'll see!! I sold the stallion, he went to michigen, and all of my next years foals are going to be from Dynamite, my 25 inch snowcap appy! I can't wait to see his foals!!!! The only foal I'll have from Chips is out of my homozygous tobiano mare....she didn't have a foal this year, and my hubby really wanted a foal from them. We'll start back up around the middle of Februsry with the cams and foal watch....i'm so excited about 2010 I'm going insane NOW.....hahahahaha!! (what an idiot) good to hear from ya!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2666
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Susan! How are things in your mini world? Hadn't heard from you in a while....just wondering!

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dianna, Sorry I have not been on in a long while. All my mini's are doing good. I'm pretty sure Bryon is bred again for a July baby. At least I'm hoping. Oh also wanted to let everyone know that my little colt turned out to be a silver dapple just like his daddy. lol
I could not tell what color he was going to be but Now I know. I will update pics of him soon.

Oh I wanted to know, what kind of test do you all use to find out for sure your mini's are pregnant? I know theres some urine test but, which ones are accurate?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wee foal! Glad you're back susan. Have you seen my new miniature horse site? www.themysticalmini.com

Susan
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No but I'm going to check it out now...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US