SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Large follicle

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Large follicle « Previous Next »

marina novotna
Nursing Foal
Username: Marina

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a mare, who had 4,5 cm follicle on Tuesday, she still have a follicle 5 or 6 cm today, it means 6 days later. It has a thin wall today, so we hope she will finally ovulate. Do you breed on such follicle, or is the oocyte too old?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2558
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a risk of an ovulation of a decaying oocyte, which might be less viable. There is also always the possibility that you are heading toward an anovulatory hemorrhagic follicle situation (follow that link for more details).

marina novotna
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it seems we may be heading toward an anovulatory hemorrhagic follicle situation, because the follicle still didnt ovulate. However, it is still is anechoic and the mare shows more and more, she now shows to every horse she meets :-)
She is in day 30 of her cycle..

marina novotna
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follicle still present, it remained anechotic, uterine oedema gone...
Jos, what are your experiences regarding the second ovary in the presence of anovulatory hemorrhagic follicle? Does the anovulatory follicle block ovulations from the other ovary, or should we monitor it?
Any experiances of breeding in the presence of anovulatory hemorrhagic follicle?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An AHF will typically block further follicular development until it has resolved.

An anovulatory follicle (not hemorrhagic) will typically regress or ultimately ovulate, although after a prolonged period such as this the oocyte is unlikely to be viable.

Have you tried using hCG or Deslorelin to promote ovulation of the errant follicle?

marina novotna
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we didnt try hCG, because this mare got hCG during the last cycle and my vet doesnt want to use it twice in a row. Would you use it in this case?
I dont know, if Deslorelin is available here, for sure it is not commonly used, I have to ask.

We decided we wont breed on this cycle even if the follicle ovulates.
This mare has two follicles on the other ovary, one of them 4 cm (but she typically ovulates from +- 5 cm).

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recent research demonstrated that repeated use of hCG for up to three cycles in the same breeding season had little to no negative effect on its ability to promote ovulation in the majority of mares.

If Deslorelin (possibly marketed as Ovuplant) is not available, I am pretty sure that buserelin is, as I think we discussed that in another thread with you (?? or someone). Buserelin is typically used to promote ovulation by giving two doses a day for two consecutive days once a 35 mm follicle is identified, along with uterine edema. Results will be very similar to the use of hCG or Delorelin.

marina novotna
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on this:
The "follicle" didnt regress or ovulate. When we checked the mare later, we found out nice follicle on the other ovary. It ovulated, mare bred (frozen semen), checked in foal, put on Regumate, because my vet was affraid, if the mare is able to develope secondary CL on the second ovary with large "follicle". Empty on day 38. End of the breeding season.
Ultrasounded yesterday. "Follicle" still present. It is now 10-15 cm large. My vet suspects it to be the tumor of cellules of granulosis. I dont know, what is the correct term in english or latine, this is the simple translation, I hope you know, what I mean. It now seems to be hormonally active - the mare dispalys oestrus and there isnīt any follicle on the second ovary, which would cause oeastrus.
The questions are :
- how to confirm or refutate, that this thing is tumor of cellules of granulosis?
- what else could it be?
- if this is tumor of cellules of granulosis, what would you do with it? Ovarectomy? My vet said I should ask about inhibin?

Thank you very much for your help.
Kindest regards,
Marina

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe what you are referring to is a "granulosa cell tumor" - follow that link for more details.

marina novotna
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many thanks for your quick answer. So, we should draw blood for testosterone and inhibin levels. Where we can find, what are the normal and abnormal levels?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an abstract of a paper presented by Cooke to be found on the IVIS web site (follow that link - the article is at the foot of the paper).

The combined measurements of inhibin levels >0.7 ng/ml, testosterone levels >50 - 100 pg/ml, and progesterone levels of <1 ng/ml are suggestive of a granulosa cell tumor in a non-pregnant mare.

Having said that, be aware that it is normal for mares with a GCT to have an inactive contra-lateral ovary - hence the <1 ng/ml progesterone level (i.e. no functional CL). It therefore seems perhaps more likely that the mare simply has another PAF.

marina novotna
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Jos, you are very helpful. It seems there is no lab here able to test horse inhibin. It seems it can be tested only in US and Japan, maybe UK (Ad TB - do you know about such possibility?). Would it be possible to send blood to US, or does it has to be shiped on ice? (which my vet said could happen).
My vet said she also doesnt suppose high testosterone levels, because the mare doesnt express stallion behaviour and has no problems with temperament/character.
At the time the mare ovulated, the tumor (if it is tumor) would be only arround 5-6 cm, so probably in the beggining? Is ovulation possible in presence of PAF?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As noted, when there is a tumor present, it is unlikely that there will be activity on the other ovary, as if it is a GCT, it's steroid-producing, which shuts down the other ovary.

It may be possible to send blood to the US to have it tested, but I suspect you would have to get an import permit for biologicals. I would encourage you or your vet to call BET Labs (a sister company to BET Pharm) and if possible talk to Dr. Douglas (or if not him see if there is someone else there to help). Their contact telephone number is +1 859 273 3036.

marina novotna
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: Before we were able to call to see, if it is possible to send blood to US, we found, that the mare now has two 2 cm and one 3 cm follicle on the second ovary. Vet tried to measure the "follicle" or tumor or whatever it is and it was larger, than the screen - the screen is 10 cm, so she said approx. 15 cm. She said it could be a "true cyst" - hormonally inactive? Really confused...

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really difficult to hypothesize further. I wouldn't want to start putting ideas in your head as to what it really isn't! :-) If you're not comfortable with the diagnoses you're getting with your current vet, then you might want to seek a second opinion.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US