SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

West Nile Shot kills foals?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » West Nile Shot kills foals? « Previous Next »

Trish
Neonate
Username: Tkhugo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been told for years that the west nile shot will kill your foals. I don't give the shot to any of my horses! I did alot of homeworking looking for a nice TWH breeding stallion and I found on last year. Bloodlines to die for. I was told this week that the breeder gave him the west nile shot. We bred him to Racking, TWH's and even my QH mare. I bred him to 15 mares and out of the 15 mares 5 took. Out of the 5 mares only one foal is alive. All the foals had big heads, and bad legs! The mare that had a dummy foal also was given the west nile shot. It was a bad breeding year for us. I will post pictures soon!

Has anyone had any problem with the shot?
Trish

(Message edited by tkhugo on July 23, 2009)

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We gave West Nile shots at 7 months and she's perfectly fine. But if I would have seen this post, I would have to rethink it.

We have a very bad mosquito problem by us and if I had to do it again... gosh, I guess I'd have to take the chance, but I would have been worried sick the whole time. So I'm glad my filly was fine and I didn't know about this.

Trish
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I WAS TOLD WEST NILE VACCINE CAUSES ABORTIONS, ABSORPTIONS, DEFORMED FOALS, DISRUPTS NORMAL MARES CYCLES AND CAN AFFECT THE FERTILITY OF STALLIONS ALSO!!
Trish

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was conformational defects with the breeding animals that cause "big heads and bad legs"...

I vaccinate every one of my horses for West Nile. I personally think it's bull when people blame the WNV vaccine harms horses. Never once, have we had a single issue with it, and we have a lot of horses. Of course there will be small risks with every vaccine, and I'm willing to take that risk, over potential death or $$$$$$$ to treat a horse.

My stallion gets it as well, his first insemination conception rate was 100% this year, and it was very high last year as well. Definately no fertility problems. My mares get it 30 days pre foaling, and I had 5 completly healthy foals born this year. My mares did start cycling a little later this year, but I think that was due to the odd weather. So in my experiance; it doesn't cause abortions, never had a deformed foal, cycles are fairly normal, and my stallion is very fertile. I suggest you check where your getting your information....

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in So Calif. and my mare was up to date on her West Nile during both pregnancies and I followed my vet's advice as to when to start the round of WN on my youngsters..first shot at 6 months...no problems and then their boosters after that. I have seen several horses stricken with West Nile and no thank you. Maybe the stallion is excellent but he is not any good on passing his genetics on? Not all excellent stallions are good reproducers

Trish
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did my homework and with his sire and dam also. Had a full check-up done. This boy was not cheap at all. If you go to http://lost-foals-group.4t.com/index.html Not all horses have problems. My vet also stands behind us about the WNV killing my foals. The WNV does work for 90% of the horses, but the 10% that it does effect is devasting. Until it happens to you, you will never understand the heartache. I hope you will never have too!
Trish

Trish
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn take a look at this site.http://www.holistichorse.com/ They give us another way to combat WNV. I know we need to be wary of this virus but it really needs more testing. I am going to check out this alternate form of vacine for my horses. Your filly may never have any problems. For both you and her, I hope everything goes fine. Meanwhile check out this link.
Trish

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trish~Heartbreaking Stories...Thanks for the link. But let me clarify...my mare was vaccinated prior to breeding and not during her gestation and no booster during gestation....the foals were not exposed to the vaccine until they reached 6 mos...perhaps that is why??? I hope that the other alternative works out for you...let us know..Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2556
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out out archive page for comments about the WNV vaccine furor when it was "news". You can also check out the thread about it on this bulletin board.

We personally received some incredibly rude correspondence from the "lost foals" website when we voiced our opinion - which remains unchanged. There is not a single piece of scientifically proven evidence offered on that web site to support their claims, while there is research that demonstrated a lack of problems with the vaccine use in pregnant mares.

OP - What did the autopsies show on your dead foals? You did have autopsies performed didn't you? How did the autopsy demonstrate a link to the WNV vaccine use?

Ann
Yearling
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, vaccines are seen as the end all and a panecia. This is not true...there are vaccine breaks (when a vaccine out of a certain lot number is not effective), there are adverse reactions, there are some that cannot get the vaccine due to allergies (think folks with food allergies and eggs/flu shots).

Still and all, vaccines are the best preventative medicines we have. For a relatively small cost, you are protcted against relatively large costs if your horse is infected or worse, dies.

As owners and stewards of animals, we must do our level best for the animals in our care. Each person evaluates what consitutes "best" based on their own finances, experiences and filters. There is no one best answer. Best practices however can guide and the best practices seem to indicate that vaccinations are well worth the inherant risks. (Pneomabort (sp? - too lazy to look) is controversial..some use it and some say that it causes mares to dump embryos. We use it with no issues.)

Personally, I would rather lose a foal to abortion then lose a mare or have a sick mare and thousands of dollars in vet bills. True losing a foal is sad but I suppose I ascribe those things to nature and natural selection. <shrug>

Bottom line, do your research and decide what is best for . You have to live with the decisions that you make so asking for advice is fine, but know that utimately, the decision is yours alone and you have to own the outcome. I might gently suggest that you look at other causes for the abortions and foal lose. Have you for instance had your water tested? As more and more people join this planet, the amount of pure crap getting in to our natural resources is staggering! Starting with water testing might show you a shock, and it is eay and relatively inexpensive. (Benefits the people drinking the water that the horses drink too..you may be driking some pretty nasty stuff!

As for genetics, were it easy, we would all be RICH. Some of the best horses do not relia
bly reproduce their best traits....perhaps this applies to the stallion you used?

Good luck!
Ann

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well spoken, Ann.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US