MAIN PAGE
EQUINE REPRODUCTION ARTICLES
SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page
 
Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board
 
Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
New Posts New Posts Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare confirmed 43 days preg. with twins

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mare confirmed 43 days preg. with twins « Previous Next »


Author Message
 

MLCJ
Neonate
Username: Sunnymlc478

Post Number: 9
Registered: 01-2007
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet just left and palpated four mares that we had bred. He always wants us to wait until they are at least 30 days, because we aren't in a very ultrasound savy area. Three mares were open with no problems on the horns and one was bred at 45 days with twins.
vet would not pinch after 30 days, i know he shouldn't too risky, but kinda ironic since he won't come before then.
He called more vets in the area and they all concurred that we should wait out the pregnancy and just watch her close. She was off a year las year, but caught easily the two previous years with no problems so this is new with her. She is very colicy when preg. that is the only thing.
Please help!!JOS :-)
 

MLCJ
Neonate
Username: Sunnymlc478

Post Number: 10
Registered: 01-2007
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our problem is that we don't have any repro. specialists nearby or that we can consult with. The vets nearby said to, "wait it out, but that she would probably abort at 7 months". Well what is the good in that.
If we abort now we still waste a year, but without the trama to the mare.
I want to know if it is too late to do any procedures to save one. The vet said that the twins both felt the same size, he didn't feel one that was significantly smaller.
Please help!
 

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2440
Registered: 01-2008
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly wish I had experience in this field....but I am sure someone will help with your dilemma! Best of luck to you...I can only imagine what this must be like for you.
 

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 740
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know of any procedures to save on at this point, but have never had any experiance with this.

If it were me, I would most definately abort them both now. Your putting your mare at risk allowing her to continue the pregnancy, which is very likely to end in two dead foals as well.
 

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2532
Registered: 10-1999
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, now you know why it's necessary to check mares earlier, and you learned the hard way... :-(

Your options are limited at this stage. Probably your best bet is to take your mare to a facility that deals in advanced equine techniques such as a veterinary teaching university, and consult with them with a view to termination of one or both pregnancies. There are techniques that have a moderate success rate in reduction to a singleton pregnancy at this stage, the two most commonly used being an intra-cardiac injection of potassium sulfate into one of the fetus' (or sometimes procaine penicillin is used); or a cranio-cervical dislocation of one of the fetus'. The alternative is to use multiple doses of prostaglandin over the course of several days to abort both pregnancies.

I would strongly encourage you to contact someone other than your current vet though... and find someone with an ultrasound for the future....
 

MLCJ
Nursing Foal
Username: Sunnymlc478

Post Number: 11
Registered: 01-2007
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I didn't think the wait and see approach was the best to take at this point.
I will call the Univ. of GA today and see what they say, if they can get us in anytime soon. They are a 4hr drive, but she is a good mare.

Another question...if we are told to abort them both, do we lose this year breeding because she wont cycle back on her own or is there a way we can make her and get a chance to rebreed?
Thanks again,
 

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2535
Registered: 10-1999
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will almost certainly be done for the year.
 

MLCJ
Nursing Foal
Username: Sunnymlc478

Post Number: 12
Registered: 01-2007
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Thank you so much. I have a call in to the Equine Repro. Specialists recommended to us. They are supposed to be the best at reproduction issues without having to take her to UGA.

Thanks so much Jos!!



Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service
 

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US