SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I need your help Jos!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » I need your help Jos! « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is in reference to my 5 year old maiden mare named Uh-O. See the thread "huge news for Uh-O" and "Breeding Problem mares" for more info. regarding my mare.

Would you please give me your insight on what should be done with this mare that's been a chronic "dirty" mare? She's had the drug to rid her uterius of biofilm already and had been medicated for Strep. Zoo. The next culture and cytology came back negative with no inflamation. So she was bred, but was open at 16 day ultrasound. She was then recultured and had a cytology done and this is what the vet said the lab work showed. Can you give me advise as to what should be done with this mare? Do we medicate her again or leave her and breed her again?

Hi Marilyn,
The cytology was negative for inflammatory cell and bacteria; culture had Gardinerella vaginalis (not a pathogen) and "few E. coli"...the delay was in the susceptibility test for the E.coli...it was susceptible to everything. With the lack of cytologic evidence of infection and no fluid or physical evidence of inflammation, I'm not too concerned about the E.coli. What are your thoughts?
A

I have no clue what Gardinerella vaginalis (not a pathogen) is and if this is a concern for her. Also, having a few E Coli, wouldn't a few Ecoli make many Ecoli if left untreated? Do you think the mare should be medicated for all of the above? I'm not sure what I should do...

Thank you in advance for any and all help!
Marilyn

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOS, can you help me here, I'm not sure what I need to do.

Thanks, Marilyn

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Hoping he will check in soon and give some advice! K

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, if you wouldn't mind taking a few moments to help me with my mare's situation.I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you, Marilyn

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn....hoping all is well with you and your girls! I hope Jos checks in soon...Kim

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, it's the height of breeding season for us, and right before a major holiday when no semen gets shipped either from us or to us, so we're extremely busy right now and I am unable to check the bulletin board frequently and respond to posts as much as I would like... Just not enough hours in the day. It's gone 10:30 pm here now and I just got in and have to go back out in an hour to do midnight checks and feedings...

You already have the answers to most of the questions you asked. Reviewing the article about cytology will give you more. Your vet has said "With the lack of cytologic evidence of infection and no fluid or physical evidence of inflammation, I'm not too concerned about the E.coli." and that is almost certainly correct. E-coli is found in manure, and is a common contaminant. Inappropriate uterine treatment (of all organisms) can lead to a superinfection. As it says in the article I cited, an absence of inflammatory cell presence is indicative of an organism being a contaminant - something your vet has also advised you. Depending upon the route of contamination, it may well be that she would benefit from having a Caslick's procedure put in immediately post-ovulation. Additionally, use of the full oxytocin protocol even though she is a young mare may prove beneficial, possible with the addition of a post-breeding lavage (maybe with an antibiotic such as Timentin included) - points perhaps to be discussed with your veterinarian who seems to be on the right track anyway.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Marilyn....sounds like you made the right call...I agree too with caslicks...my vet put one in on Sweetie and after ovulation, stitched her even tighter, as she tends to get really loose while in heat. I know you will discuss Jos' other recommendations with your vet...glad to know she is clear for breeding again! Kim

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos for taking the time to answer my questions. I figured you were very busy, so I appreciate your efforts helping me with my situation.

Uh-O has been caslicked since 2008, so that part has been taken care of.

I'm very happy to see you agree with my vet. Now I feel much more comfortable with proceeding with the second breeding. When the vet asked me what I thought, well... that just threw me for a curve. I didn't know how to respond. You've taken the pressure off, thank you again Jos!

Thank you Kim for your help as well.

Marilyn

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US