SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare sore after attempted breeding....

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mare sore after attempted breeding.... « Previous Next »

Myah Inskeep
Neonate
Username: Minskeep

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night one of the mares(a 2yr old) got out of the barn and got loose with the stallion. The mare wasnt in heat so im not worried she is bred but she acts very sore in the back. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

We checked all the scrapes and bumps on her legs, nothings broken. I applied pressure all the way down her spine and didnt get even a swish of the tail. Shes very tired from running all night im sure but Im worried it may be something in her hips. She is dragging her back toes a little when walking and doesnt like to move very much. I dont want to call the vet right away but if shes not a little better by tomorrow I will.

I didnt see any tearing when i looked under her tail so I dont think the stud ever got her to stand still. Shes only 14 hands and a pretty frail looking 2yr old so I wonder if all the attempts at mounting her just made her sore.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've dealt with a lot of sore backs but It's very hard to make a diagnosis about this filly without seeing her. She may be just sore from all the scrapes and sores on her legs, the stallion may have kicked her or hurt her in an attempt to mount her, she may have injured herself trying to run away from him. It's impossible to say without seeing her. Maybe try some anti-inflammatories and call the vet if no improvement.

Myah Inskeep
Neonate
Username: Minskeep

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shes a little better today but still very short strided in the back end. Since she improved a little im going to hold off on calling the vet. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

Carol K
Weanling
Username: Rodawn

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Myah, is it possible with all the running that she tied up a little?

Is her urine normal color as a light yellow? If it is a very dark amber-yellow, browny-orange or frankly brown, then it could very well she tied up a bit. I would keep her very quiet for a couple days in a small paddock as exercise after tying up can cause serious and permanent muscular damage, not to mention potential kidney damage as all of this muscle-break down, acids, etc., must be excreted by the kidneys. Don't give her any anti-inflammatories that can affect the kidneys (like Bute). Ask your vet what kind of anti-inflammatory you could use that won't be hard on her kidneys. Keep her very well hydrated.

Otherwise, if she hadn't tied up, and if you're thinkin she possibly ran all night, then it would be similar to you or I suddenly running a marathon that we hadn't properly trained for. All of our muscles would be extremely sore and our feet would be sore too. She would be dragging her toes because her muscles are tired, feeling heavy, are still full of acid, and very sore. Being a 2-year-old she wouldn't have full physical strength for that kind of extremely rigorous exercise. Letting her wander around in her regular pasture, grazing is natural-enough exercise for the muscles to repair themselves. But only if she stays quiet.

For either case, pull her off all grain and carbohydrates, and pull her off alfalfa hay (the proteins are hard on the kidneys and her kidneys are dealing with muscle repair already). Switch her to good quality plain grass hay for a couple weeks and/or pasture grass, or both. Gradually, reintroduce any growth-formula grain you were giving after a couple weeks, but lay off the alfalfa for a good month and then start to gradually reintroduce it again.

We should be careful with protein-rich foods to begin with in horses, but especially so in the instance of potential muscular damage due to over-exertion or tying up, simply because the kidneys can get overloaded with things to filter out. Excess protein is always filtered by the kidneys, so laying off the protein-rich foods can give the kidneys a much needed break while the body repairs itself.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US