I also have a mare that has a 14 day embryo and according to the vet "a fair bit" of fluid in her uterus though she did not say exactly how much. Just enough that she is a bit concerned about it. I did treat her for 3 days post breeding (we bred her once only) with the oxytocin protocal but did not followup with an ultrasound due to my vet not being open over the weekend except due to an emergency. We are going to recheck her again at day 28-30 to see if the embryo is still there. Is there any chance of the fluid being absorbed or would it be there for the whole pregnancy? Would this make her more susceptible to plancentitis (she has had it in the past)? Are we better off terminating the pregnancy or waiting it out to see if it terminates by itself? If the embryo implants and looks good at say 28-30 days then for the most part things should be fine or is there still a greater chance of loss after that? Thanks for any advice~
Fluid is a serious problem. I wouldnt wait for a 28 day check. Scan at 18 days. If the embryo is still there and more importantly still growing cross your fingers. If its going or gone she'll be coming back into season and you can breed her again!
Fluid is a big problem. I have one mare who always develops a huge pool during heats; however, my mare somehow seems to be able to carry these to term. 2 attempts, 2 full-term pregnancies. My vet just inseminates, then flushes the next day and puts in Caslicks. And then we wait. We ultrasound at day 14-15, day 29-30 and also again at 45 days. After that, we just leave her alone.
When she foals out, if we're definitely re-breeding her, she gets an automatic course of penicillin and Caslicks until we're ready to breed her again. Otherwise, if we're not re-breeding her, we just put in Caslicks right away and leave her alone.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: