SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lavage question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Lavage question « Previous Next »

Sideshot Ranch
Nursing Foal
Username: Sideshotranch

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that had about a 29mm follicle Monday (quarter horse) - the owner dropped her off Wednesday - of course showing signs of heat - we bred her Wednesday, Friday - still showing heat yesterday - I flushed her out with saline yesterday - cervix was wide open (still no idea if she ovulated) - we gave her 2 seperate shots of Oxytocin (1cc) 1 hour after flushing, then again about 4 hours after. She still showed signs of heat today - so we put more semen in her - question: can she still get bred even though I flushed her yesterday? or will any remaining saline compromise the effectiveness of the semen I put in her (if she has not already ovulated)?

jim ormond
Neonate
Username: Rolomaxi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flushing the day before breeding with saline is not such a good idea as it causes an inflammatory reaction, usually mild, but this may interfere with sperm viability. Lots of people do it but results vary from mare to mare. Ultrasound paints a better picture of what you need to do!

Sideshot Ranch
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes - I wish we could checked this mare - but timing was all wrong to get her checked - and I just figured she would have been out by now. She could have ovulated already for all I know - but I had to go ahead and put semen in her today just in case. I am worried that she possibly could not have cleared it all out that well. I was hoping she would be out by today, but I couldn't get that lucky! Thanks for your response.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, research (Vanderwall et. al.) has demonstrated that one can lavage with Lactated Ringer's Solution ("LRS") as little as ½ hour before breeding without negatively impacting pregnancy rates.

Sideshot Ranch
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok - we had her checked today, and she ovulated Friday. So my timing was right on flushing her out, but now I have put another dose of semen in her yesterday - ugh! So should she be flushed again or should I just give her some Oxytocin? I put about 10 mL of semen + extender yesterday. Again, she ovulated Friday, so should I just leave well enough alone?

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just so I know...I'm learning this...how do you know she ovulated Friday, if you just checked her today? My vet always checks the day after AI, to see if she ovulated...how can you tell 3 days later and say she ovulated three days earlier...I'm just new and confused? Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can safely use oxytocin until about 3½ days after ovulation, so if you're going to use it, you'd better do it soon! :-)

If you find that there is >2 cm of fluid in the uterus per ultrasound, then lavage may be indicated along with the oxytocin, but I prefer not to lavage after about 24 hours after ovulation if it can be avoided. If you do end up lavaging, use Lactated Ringer's Solution, not saline.

Sideshot Ranch
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, My vet checked her today and could guess approximately when she ovulated based on what he saw. I guess the CL had formed or was starting to form. I was not there when he checked her though.

I did call my vet later though, and he thinks this mare has issues. She still has a long winter coat, and her uterus is not in good shape. She still has fluid that he said is caused by edema. He did not recommend any more Oxytocin since it is so late in the game - but he is not optimistic about her getting pregnant at all. In fact, he is recommending that she be tested for Cushings Disease. It just sucks because our timing was so right with her this time, but it looks like it is a bust!!! Oh well, that is life!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US