SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Vaginal bleeding during live cover....

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Vaginal bleeding during live cover.... « Previous Next »

Sara Johnson
Neonate
Username: Saddleup

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 4 1/2 yr old TWH mare (assumed to be maiden, no previous foals that I know of and she doesn't appear to have ever had any) bleeds after being bred. As soon as the Stud withdraws from her, she is bleeding. This has happened the during each of her last 3 heat cycles (that she was bred). She shows no signs of discomfort at all and willingly stands in an open field, unrestrained, for breeding. She is 15.3 hands and the stud is 15.1 hands, so he is not too big for her. Any ideas??

Regena B-It's a BOY
Weanling
Username: Callawayssuzy

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is relatively normal for a maiden mare to bleed after the hymen has been ruptured (my broodmare did), but I do not think it is normal for that to be occuring with repeated heat cycles...

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=9075

I would have my vet check the mare out to make sure that there is no internal damage from the breeding(s)

Sara Johnson
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Regena. The hymen was my first thought after she bleed after the first cover. Then after the second and third, and she still bled I was concerned. My vet can not find anything wrong (damaged) to cause the bleeding. He is not really a "reproduction vet" but I would think anything seriously wrong he would be able to detect. Maybe I should take her to another, more experienced in reproduction, vet.

Sara Johnson
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might mention also, that the mare does not continue to bleed. It's like the blood is visible immediately after withdrawl, which of course is on the stallion as well as around the back end of the mare. There's no dripping of blood or anything like that.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2398
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A vaginal speculum or endoscopic evaluation is warranted, as vaginal damage during breeding can lead to abscess or more serious problems depending upon the cause.

As you are noting it as the stallion dismounts, and you say your vet finds nothing (did he use a speculum?) it could also be possible that the blood is originating from the stallion - i.e. he is haemospermic. Has the stallion been collected and evaluated?

Either way, AI might be a better option if the mare is being damaged during live cover, or to determine if there is already blood from the stallion in the semen (which can render it infertile).

Sara Johnson
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, I'm sure the blood is originating form the mare. The stud has also breed other mares without incident and they are in foal. I think I will have the mare evaluated by a vet more knowledgeable about reproduction. Thanks for your advice.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US