SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

OK to breed thin mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » OK to breed thin mare? « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone...many of you know that my mom lost her mare and foal this past month during delivery. On top of the devastation of losing the mare/foal, she had pre-paid for a breeding to a very nice stallion and it is only good for this year. Her mare was a A+ match with this stud. She only had a short time to try to find a matching mare. Long story short, I found a mare on our local horse4sale board and she ran her name...she is a A++ match with this stud. The girl who has owned her the last three years, is young teenager, who obviously loves horses, but with the economy, her parents just cannot afford to feed the mare. She really should have given her away, but I gave her a check for $500 for her...I know they could use the money and the mare can use an upgrade. We are now worried, with only having about a month and a half to get her in foal, I know we have to get her healthy first. She only wormed once a year (we are in FL), cause she thought the vet did it annually when they did their shots and things. This is a nice mare and really has a nice pedigree. She had all her JC paperwork, etc., so we really want to try and get her bred to this stallion. Just wondering if anyone has bred a thin mare, got her in foal and then continued to improve on her nutrition and weight throughout the pregnancy. We are really hoping this works for my mom. The mare got to my house today and immediately started winking at the stud colts as they talked to her, so I am hoping this is a good sign that she is still cycling ok. She is not so emaciated that she is not listless, she has energy and appears happy, just looks pretty poor, esp. next to my horses who (I thought were a bit thin)...LOL...now they look like they are overweight next to her. The next thing will be how to introduce her to good food. They had her on cow feed, cause they were in with cows and a big round roll (that I know was for cows too), looked very dirty and they obviously were not eating it. Any advice ideas are appreciated. We are having the vet out first thing Monday to do a health check on her and investigate her reproductive soundness as well. Thanks, Kim

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I'd put her immediately on Strategy...several small meals a day. Added to that a great Mare and Foal supplement. Nothing puts on weight better and faster than strategy. I recently rescued a very thin mare, and spoke with my vet about her not being in heat yet. She is of the impression that, if a mare is too skinny/unhealthy they will not come into heat. If the mare is winking/showing, maybe she's not that bad off? Can you post pics of her? I'm so happy your mom is finally going to get this breeding.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is something to think about if you do get her covered. There was a topic discussed about a month ago relating to a study of fillys vs colts being born to mares based on whether they were gaining or losing weight at the time of conception. According to the study, a mare gaining weight has a much higher probability of foaling a colt. This was researched with wild horses and the logic is that when the mares are giaing, food is plentiful and colts are produced so there will not be an over population. It has not been tested in a breeding program. It would just be interesting to see what has.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 681
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use Strategy, Enrich 12 and Amplify all Purina products in what ever combination is indicated...I am happy with the results...I have been very happy with Stategy for foals through grown ups

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't use Strategy, as it can make horses hot sometimes, but my "tricks" for packing weight on horses are as follows:

-Free choice grass hay (once their used to it of course)
-Alfalfa once a day
-Stabalized rice bran
-A&M
-Omolene
-Corn Oil

My stallion is a very picky eater, and I usually have a little bit of trouble keeping weight on him during breeding season. I've discovered that he LOVES A&M, which makes my life easy because it's cheap, and the other horses I have that need to gain weight love it too. I've even convinced him to eat rice bran as well, as long as it's mixed in with the A&M. This season he has lost essentially no weight at all because he's eating so well. Rice bran, A&M, and corn oil will all put nice shines on your horse's coat as well.

As far as breeding a thin mare goes... I had a mare that was rather skinny when I bred her, much skinnier than I would have liked to start breeding her, but she concieved first try. I just continued to improve nutrition, and she delivered a lovely large filly in February :-) I wouldn't breed an emaciated mare, but as long as she starts to get healthier, why not give it a go? You say she's teasing now, well give it three weeks and try on the next heat cycle. I'm sure she will have significantly improved in just three weeks time :-)

Best of luck!

tara
Nursing Foal
Username: Tarafawn

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a Tb mare that we had to feed Super gain and corn oil to her and all the hay she could eat to maintain her weight that might be a idea for weight gain. How long has it been since the mare was wormed do you know? I would say if she is not extremly thin you should go for it. We had neighbors that had a mare that was so thin (skin over bones not even kidding) anyways we drove by one day and I seen a new foal nursing on her I had to take a second look because I just didnt know how that poor mare was even standing let alone gave birth to a foal.The foal wasnt nearly as bad as I would have expected it to be by the mares condition. We turned them into the human society it was just awful. That to me just proved how much mares give to foals.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, you guys are great and full of such knowledge. My mom is very excited, she's not even seen her yet, she had to go out of town this weekend, she is due back this afternoon. I'm sure she's already contacted vet to be out first thing in am. I've written down all your weight gain suggestions and advice. I am so hoping this works for mom and the mare, they both need a break right now in their lives.

Tara: Based on what the young girl told me, she's not been wormed in a year...she said the vet gave them a yearly paste...I didn't even think anyone did that anymore? So that is the first thing...I was thinking that power pak, but I'll let the vet advise my mom...I know that will help alot.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 682
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also use the power pak with good results and my vet's okay

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2398
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kim..I would also have the vet out now to do a cystology and a culture....and they can ultrasound figure out where she is in her cycle and what is going on inside...if you can breed this heat great if not you will know that she is good to go and can short cycle her...but really encourage you to do a cystology...save yourself trouble and possible heartache down the rode. So happy that your mom has this to concentrate on! Have you spoken to the stallion owner and are they aware of the situation? Perhaps they would be willing to amend their breeding contract?

Fingers and Toes crossed!

Randi Taylor
Weanling
Username: Miss_daisy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare became very skinny after she was breed. Her a pic http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/DIXIETAYLOR1023/?action=view&current=MY Pic001.jpg
That pic was taken after she got back from the breeder. she was about 6monts in the pic . I put her Ultium by Purine here a link http://horse.purinamills.com/products/complete_list.asp. This feed has everything in it.My mare put wright on right away. Here she is about month after being on Ultium http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/DIXIETAYLOR1023/?action=view&current=MY Pic098.jpg.

Here she is now.
http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/uu297/DIXIETAYLOR1023/?action=view&current=Da isy005-1.jpg
Hope this helps.

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, not good news for the mare. Vet was out and body scored her on a 3.5 out of a 9. Said she just had too far to go to feel she would be able to get in foal in the next 60 days or so. I feel so bad for this mare and now I have to take her back to the people who could not afford to feed her. Unfortunately, me nor my mom have a facility to keep more than we have, and she needs a mare to breed now, and I just feel horrible for this whole situation. I wonder if I should call like the human society or something to let them know to check up on the mare and her care after I take her back? I so hate taking her back, but I cannot save them all, and am stretched with the ones I currently have here at home on my little 1.5 acre house and lot. I was so hoping this would work out for mom, but I guess it was not meant to be....I am praying for a better life for this mare.....

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3.5 body score is not that bad in my opinion--too thin yes but not totally emaciated.
If you cannot keep the mare can't you just try to resell her and get your $$ back from the sale instead of sending her somewhere she won't be cared for properly??

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could, I just don't have the means and nothing is selling right now, but I have called animal welfare and they will be doing a well being check on her and hopefully, they will find her a new home real soon....

Beth Walker
Breeding Stock
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dorthy, a 3.5 is thin but not that bad. They say it takes 30 days to raise the body score 1 point, which at a 4.5 seems like it would be a breedable weight, especially since you would still have another 11 months to get her to a good foaling weight. Have you contacted the stallion owner to see what they think about breeding a thin mare? If you choose to take her back I would definitely inform the authorities of the lack of care, but in this economy and so many horses in the same situation a lot of them won't even check on these horses anymore. I'm sorry it did not work out!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I was thinking the same thing....I thought she could come up quickly too...I did call the authorities, they said there is so much of this going on now, but that they would do a check up on her. The vet used a 3.5 out of 9 body scoring system....I just don't know....I wish she could keep her and try her, but ultimately it's up to us....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US