SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

14 day bred mare showing signs of heat

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » 14 day bred mare showing signs of heat « Previous Next »

Mary Ayala
Nursing Foal
Username: Marya

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the odds that she's bred? My mare is at 14 days today and showing mild signs of heat, sigh. I'm thinking it doesn't look good. She's due back at the vets in 2 days for a preg check U/S. She was bred on a 42 follicle, ovulated that night and bred again the next day. Vet said she was a textbook case, everything went as close to perfect and it could.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fingers and toes crossed for you Mary...but sometimes when it all looks perfect it still doesn't take :-( Although I know a mare that shows in heat her entire pregnancy! So let's hope for the best and plan for the worst?

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she was bred and ovulated it should be 21 days before she comes into season. Some mares do have shorter cycles 18-21 days but I don't think she'd be cycling again at 14 days and if she is it's probably not a good sign. Hopefully you'll have a positive scan in two days time.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she was bred and ovulated it should be 21 days before she comes into season.

No it shouldn't!!! The entire cycle from ovulation to ovulation is 21 days! The mare should come back in to estrus ("heat") about 14 days after going out, which is where she's at.

The only saving thing I can say is that about 10% of mares still show heat while pregnant, but it's not sounding promising... :-(

Mary Ayala
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we're not pregnant. Not really a surprize but still disappointing. Vet thinks she's getting close to ovulating again so we left her there and are hoping we'll be ready to have semen shipped again tomorrow. She's got a large follicle, I think vet said 40 or 42 but not as much edema as he would like so he thinks it will be a couple of days still before she ovulates. Fingers & toes crossed!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry, Mary, I'm on my second try right now, looking to check her for pregnancy next Friday! Kim

Mary Ayala
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well vet said she ovulated last night so we missed her this cycle. He also said something about her cycle being 'weak' and that he would not have advised trying to breed her this time anyway.....said she didn't show enough edema, just a big follicle. Does this sound right to you guys?? We're going to discuss whether to short cycle her or wait for next natural cycle.

Good luck to your Kim, hope you see that little black dot!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too! Thanks...the last time we bred Sweetie, we ordered semen...she was at a 38 follicle the day we ordered, speculum 2+ and her edema was 3 and vet was quite anxious that we get semen in her the next day...I don't know if these measurements help you or not, but we inseminated the next day, checked the following day and she had in fact ovulated, so I am praying all goes well and we do see that little black dot! Kim

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary...so sorry...I know with my mare we short cycled her, AI'd and used the oxytocin protocol and all that worked. Fingers crossed for you.
You too Kim....

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan..counting down the days till we scan!

Mary Ayala
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, your measurements were good to know. My mare is at almost exactly the same place your mare was, except with a 39 follicle...we ordered semen today. We're going to do the oxytocin protocol too.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US