SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Where do I start?!?!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Where do I start?!?! « Previous Next »

Fhatima Shands
Neonate
Username: Fastrack

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone! I have a maiden mare that is due anyday now(previous owner did not know exact date of breeding). She started bagging up on 4/11 & she seems very restless. I recently bought her some oat hay (supplementing her with alfalfa cubes). Upon initial inspection it smelled good and no dust...but...fast forwarding, I noticed the other morning she was eating from the opposite side of the roll bale, checked out the side she started on and found mold...we removed the hay and have been giving her the supplemental hay (timothy/alfalfa mix & orchard). Is it possible for her to loose the baby this late in the game? Will there be any complications? I don't know if she ate any of the molded hay or not. Is there anything I should do?

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 841
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fhatima,
Seeing you removed the bale and she was eating from the other side, chances are she didn't eat any of the moldy hay so hopefully you don't have anything to worry about. Horses will avoid bad hay as long as there is some good hay as well.
Good Luck with your upcoming foal!!!

Fhatima Shands
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Emily! I am hoping everything will be ok!

Fhatima Shands
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about worming...since we have her on the same schedule as the other horses, can I worm her now or wait until she foals?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a local question...my vet recommends worming for round worms right before delivery and using an ivermectin product within the week after. The answer is yes to worming but with what and for what is a regional question. Where are you located and maybe there is someone close by that can tell you their routine.

Rusti - Chilli due 4-09
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno how much help I can be, but my vet told me to just keep her on the regular schedule as long as she doesn't appear to be getting wormy. But I did go ahead and worm her a week after I moved her into her foaling corral because she had never been kept in there before, even though she wasn't due to be wormed for another 4 weeks. I worm all my horses every 3 months.

Fhatima Shands
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee, I am in Virginia...Ivermectin/Moxidectin in the spring; Fenbendazole in the summer; Pyrantel pamoate fall & winter. That is the general practice for the barns in my area. I have also used Quest during some years (every 3 months).

Rusti, do you use Moxidectin? Or do you rotate?

I have received 2 different answers from two vets. One says to go ahead and worm her, but the other says to wait a couple of days after the foal is delivered. She was wormed before we moved her, not after...and it is time to worm again. What do you think?

Rusti - Chilli due 4-09
Breeding Stock
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rotate between 4 different wormers. I've actually never heard of Moxidectin, I guess they don't carry it in my area. What's available around here is Quest, TapeCare Plus, Zimectrin, Ivermectin, IverCare, Safeguard, and one that I think is called Biomectin? It comes in a huge tube, enough to treat 4 1000 lb. horses.

judy cervantes
Yearling
Username: Coloredpony

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone , have any of you seen this?? if not i thought i would share it with you.
http://www.TheHorse.com/webinar/deworming/letter.html

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rotate between 3 wormers. They get a double dose of embrotape to treat tape worms in the spring and autumn. They get bimectin every 6-8 weeks during the rest of they year and they all get 5 days of panacur in the summer. They also get bimectin 4-6 weeks prior to foaling and again on the day of foaling.

The foals get panacur at 10 days, then bimectin at 6 weeks followed by a double dose of embrotape 6 weeks later, 5 days of panacur 6 weeks after this.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 635
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the 5 day Panacur power pack with my young horses once a year usually in the spring and with every new horse and every horse that looks poorly...it really helps

This is aside from my 4 times a year worming rotation program.

Fhatima Shands
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rusti, Moxidectin is the active ingredient in Quest. I ask because I know a couple of people in my area use Quest year round alternating with the 2 versions of the same brand (not used with preg mares).

So based on the responses, I take it I should wait until she foals. It will not put her to off of the schedule but I thought I could worm her just before foaling (also to help with scours). But my main concern is that she was wormed before we moved her and not since. And I want to make sure neither of them has/gets worms.

Fhatima Shands
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW: Thanks for the link Judy, love Horse.com but have never watched any of their webinars...

Also, are any of you located in VA...do you know the active ingredient in the wormers you use? They may not carry the same brands in all areas but may be in my area through a different manufacturer.

Carol K
Weanling
Username: Rodawn

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fhatima, a little late posting here, but Quest is contraindicated in pregnant mares and also in foals under at least 6 to 8 months of age, although my vet recommends avoiding it for their entire first year. Ivermectin is recommended for pregnant mares and foals.

You can deworm a mare with Quest once she delivers, however.

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also a little late here.

One is supposed to do the Panacur purge (5 days of Panacur (Fenbendozole)) in *WINTER* not spring/summer as it is to eradicate the horse of the encysted strongyles which build up during the cooler weather when they 'hibernate' in the intestinal lining instead of being shed regularly in the faeces during the warm weather. Then on 6th day one is supposed to give an Ivermectin-based dewormer for tapeworms & bots.

While deworming regularly is *extremely necessary*, it is advisable to have a faecal count done so that you know exactly what you're dealing with. The worms can build up a resistence to various products necessitating a change.

Fenbendazole is extremely safe, even at a much higher dosage than recommended. It can be used safely on pregnant mares and foals. I have heard of fatalities from Quest, though what the reasons were I cannot ascertain. Perhaps the horses had too high a worm count and simply colicked. That is why Fenbendazole (Panacur or any identical product) is safer to use especially on horses with suspected high worm counts.

WRT pregnant mares: they should be dewormed with an Ivermectin-based wormer within 6 hours of foaling to help prevent foal diarrhea.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US