Hi everyone, I appreciate anybodys help on this one. I'll give a little history on the mare first. She's a 16 year old thoroughbred mare. She's had 9 previous foals. She had her first foal when she was six, had another the year after, was barren her third year and has had 7 in a row since. Two years ago she had a very difficult foaling, the foal had severly contracted tendons and she was rushed to the vet hospital and they eventually got the foal out. They had to preform CPR on the foal, he was a dummy foal but was progressing well with regards to the dummy foal syndrome. It's front legs were casted. The foal got pertonitis and died after 5 days. She also retained the placenta for two days after this but eventually passed it. We decided as it was May and getting late in the season we'd cover her once and see if she went in foal, She went in foal on a PG after her foal heat. Last year she had a colt foal without any difficulty and she went in foal on one cover after a PG following her foal heat. She was scanned 15, 21, 30 and 45 days in foal. In December we thought she looked like she was bagging up and we thought maybe she had placentitis ao got the vet out and he found her to be open so she'd lost the foal.
We scanned her in January and all was fine, clean swab, no fluid, she could have been covered but the breeding season doesn't start until 14th February so it was too early. On her next heat we scanned her and ahe was in season but only had 20-25mm folicles, no fluid, scanned 4 days later and she had a significant amount of fluid. We flushed her for 3 days, treated her with antibiotics and oxytocin twice a day. Decided not to cover her.
Now we're 21 days later and scanned her this morning, she has 30mm folicle on the left and 25 on the right and she is full of fluid. The vet swabbed her and flushed her and the fluid was cloudy. Now the vet is thinking a few things * the swab will tell if she has a bacterial infection and we'll have the result of that later * She may have a fungal infection so if the swab is clear we'll take a sample of the fluid and send that off to the lab. * She may have a degeneritive uterus, if she's clear for bacteria and fungus we'll scope and biopsy her uterus. * Urine pooling, she hasn't had a caslick as she's got very good conformation but we may do it anyway this year.
At the momnet she's turned out 24 hours a day and we're giving her oxytocin 4 times a day plus long acting oxytocin at night time(reprocell I think it's called).
I'm now worried that she won't go in foal at all. Prior to this she's gone in foal 9 times on a PG after her foal heat with one single cover so she's obviously very fertile. We don't know why she aborted last year nor did we find fetus or discharge so we could't send the fetus for a post mortum. She was a very good racehorse and has recently produced a decent two year old. She's produced 6 winners on the race track which is a very good record so I'd really like to get another few foals from her.
Any advice or thoughts from anyone? I'm really fond of the mare and would like to do all I can for her.
* the swab will tell if she has a bacterial infection and we'll have the result of that later
Make sure there is a cytology smear prepared in conjunction with a culture - a culture alone is unreliable. Read that linked article for more details.
* She may have a fungal infection so if the swab is clear we'll take a sample of the fluid and send that off to the lab.
In many - if not most - cases, yeast will be visible on a cytology smear, precluding the need for an unnecessary culture for yeast (although if you do identify it in cytology, it is still beneficial to culture to identify what you are dealing with).
* She may have a degeneritive uterus, if she's clear for bacteria and fungus we'll scope and biopsy her uterus.
You would probably do better to start with a biopsy and culture, as the biopsy will give you the same results as the cytology, and more.
* Urine pooling, she hasn't had a caslick as she's got very good conformation but we may do it anyway this year.
Evaluate the fluid captured in a lavage for urea crystals! The uterine fluid could actually be urine.
The most likely cause though is delayed uterine clearance, which is not uncommon in older mares. Review of the oxytocin article will probably help you understand that more and how best to treat it.
We're now 10 days later, she has been getting oxy four times a day, she was scanned 5 days ago, no fluid and the same size follicles as 5 days prior to that 30 and 25. She was scanned again 2 days ago and again no change in the follicle size, she also had no fluid, she is is season. So now we're left with the situation that the oxy seems to have done the trick with the fluid, maybe she has all the fluid because she's an older mare and has poor uterine clearance. All swabs etc came back clear for any bacterial or fungal infection. So no fluid but no increase in follicle size. The vet has decided that the mare gets 10 days of Regumate and then PG on day 11. He thinks that at the rate she's going she could be in season for the next two weeks if we don't do something about it. We've been scanning and treating this mare since January and it's now nearly April and she hasn't even been covered. She's teasing on for the last two weeks but every time she's scanned there's no change. She's costing me a fortune in vet bills so I really need her to go in foal this year. I'm really hoping the regumate will sort out this new problem and she'll be covered the week after next. As she's a thoroughbred mare we only have a really short breeding season starting 14th February and we usually don't cover any mares after the 31st May. Originally in January when she was scanning good I was thinking she'd be covered in February and I'd have a January foal next year. It just seems to be dragging on forever. Any other suggestions?
Sounds like a perfectly normal transitional phase mare. Did you have her under lights from November onwards if you were planning on breeding in February? (Follow that link for details) If not, you probably should plan on it next year.
While Regumate may be beneficial in stabilizing estrus display and encouraging an ovulatory estrus during late transitional phase, it is important to note that it will be less effective in the earlier stages of transition (so success will depend entirely upon exactly where your mare is in transition); and also that Progestin therapy (including Regumate) can have a negative impact on fluid-retaining mares (i.e. more fluid retention).
One final point - you mention a "clean culture", but what did the cytology smear show? Was there in fact one done? The reliability of culture results is severely limited unless those results are supported by the cytology findings (again, follow the link for more details).
Hi Jos, She has been in under lights since November at night. She was cycling normally in January, no fluid, she was ovulating. She also ovulated on her last heat but she had too much fluid to cover her. The vet has explained the risk of regumate and the fact it may make her fluidy again. A cytology smear was carried out and don't know the exact results but the vet said all was ok.
This mare is still giving trouble. Since I last posted she's had 10 days of Regumate followed by a Pg on day 11, scanned 4 days later 28mm folicle, no fluid, scanned 3 days later, full of fluid again, no progress in folicle. Today we started her on motilium (domperidone). We also started lunging her for 20minutes followed by 30 minutes on the horse walker, she's out 24 hours a day. Any other advice??
Maybe this is the right thread...did 2nd shipment of semen and AI'd yesterday, ovulated last night, confirmed by US. Vet treated her with 3 or 4 bags of saline (I guess that's what is was) flushing out the uterous. She said she needs to treat her tomorrow too. No infection, clean culture, but she said she has alot of tissue....what does this really mean and does it effect her changes of getting in foal? I'm a nervous nelly of course.....thanks Kim
Jos, I have a mare that will probably need Oxytocin, after breeding. The problem is that this mare is scared silly of a needle. Is there any way the oxytocin can be given orally? I'm pretty good at giving uneventful shots, but know that once she's on to me, I probably will never finish the treatments.
I also have this problem, one mare who gets alot of fluid, but is so bad with needles, that it is simply not an option to give them, even the vet doesnt want to do it I have tried twitching her, putting her in the crush, everything to give the needles but she turns herself inside out inside the crush and literally tries to kill me Is it possible to give oxytocin orally
The use of insulin syringes with very small needles makes it easy with most mares , even the ones that are not good with needles. There are always exceptions, but if you haven't tried the insulin syringe, give it a go and see if it helps.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: