SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Vet said not pregnant... Wee-foal says YES pregnant... help?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Vet said not pregnant... Wee-foal says YES pregnant... help? « Previous Next »

Heather Hurlock
Neonate
Username: Itsmeheather

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried for two seasons to get my mare in foal via AI. This last year I was just sure she took but the ultrasound at 20 days said no. ( Well the vet said he could not find a pregnancy via ultrasound). Around 5 months after the last breeding I just thought she was looking fuller and wanted him to come back out and check. He did - but with no ultrasound machine - he just palpated her. He said she was not in foal. I learned later that day this was a really BAD time to palpate a mare due to the uterus just tipping over the pelvic bone and being sorta out of reach.

So... I've had this weefoal test in the fridge for months. Yesterday I caught her urinating and thought I just wanted to try it and see. I still look at her daily and say she looks to be in foal.

I ran the test and it was very clearly positive and stayed that way.

Now what? They claim there are no false positives with the weefoal test. The vet checking my mare is not an equine repro vet so I feel like its possible that he missed it, but twice?

I'm not sure what to think and have calls into a few other clinics to see if they would maybe take me given the situation. I need to know for sure if she is in foal and when her due date is.

Has anyone ever had a false positive with a wee foal test? Or ... what do you think of them? A friend of mine with minis swears by them and she uses them faithfully with her mares and says they have been 100% accurate for her.

Just wondering what others think. I want to be excited that she is in foal. I just don't know what to think right now though.

Jane Whritenour
Yearling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I can tell you that 3 vets in my area told me my mare was not Preg. ( two did ultrasound). I still insisted that she was. I had an estrogen sulfate test done the end of Sept. WHich reports that she was 120-130 pregnant at that time. So her belly continues to get bigger I am roughly expecting a foal May 18 give or take. Has her personality changed, eating habits etc,. Those can sometimes help to determine also

You might want to find out when she was with a stud. Calculate from that

Heather Hurlock
Neonate
Username: Itsmeheather

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know exactly what days she was bred and ovulated because this was all done AI. I guess I have another question... Is it possible that she got pregnant on the first AI attempt and would the estromate injection do anything to that pending pregnancy? I really felt she was in foal after the first AI that happened July 16&17, 2008. We did an ultrasound on August 13th where the vet said she was still open. So, on August 15th she was given an estromate injection and we inseminated again on August 20 & 21st. We then did an ultrasound on Sept 9th which the vet also said she was still open.

Well a few months went by and I just felt like she was in foal. By December I was really questioning things and asked him to come back out and ultrasound again because she had really started to round out. The vet came out December 9th - no ultrasound machine. He palpated and told me once again she was still open.

I've been told that the timing on palpation was a bad time to "feel" a foal.

I've watched her and she acts differently than what I am used to. She very much wants to be with her human family and isn't as interested in being the alpha mare she always has insisted on being. Her belly has grown bigger and when you look at her from the front or back it seems as if her belly is bigger on one side than the other - and it is bigger than the other mares who are not in foal.

Yesterday I so happened to be in the barn when she was urinating so I collected it and used the weefoal test I had in the fridge. It came up positive so now I am REALLY confused.

This is the first time I have ever bred one of my mares so I am not an experienced person. I wondered if she could have been in foal from the first insemination in July... or would it certainly be from the second try in August?

I do have calls in to other clinics - none of which are taking new patients but I am hoping that someone will see her to help me get the answers I need. I have also called my own vet and gave them the information. I do not know how accurate the weefoal tests are - I see what it says in their packaging but is that controlled testing or real life data? It says there are no false positives also - I wonder how true that is? I'm not saying they are lying or anything I just am unsure about everything right now. It is really hard to decide where to let my emotions go when I have been told several times she is NOT in foal by the vet - only to have a positive test by the wee foal yesterday.

I guess time will tell?? Hopefully I will have someone examining her in the next few weeks. Thanks for your reply!

Jane Whritenour
Yearling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can your vet run a blood test? Thats what I did. An estrogen sulphate test will tell if you have a viable foal & roughly the gestation. Like I posted ; The first vet - washed my mare out with a saline & gentamyacin solution as she thought she had an infection( people have now told me that was her body getting rid of extra semen) She also told me that no baby grows in an unhealthy environment. OK Make sense. So I waited for her to go back into heat - never happen thats why I had the others come out - both did an US- both said they didn't see anything.
She never has come back into heat & the blood test says shes pregnant - Her whole attitude is different plus she has some udder development - you might want to check that also.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US