SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant Mare Help., Pregnant Mare Lost Last Foal Would Like To Ensure Safe A...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Pregnant Mare Help., Pregnant Mare Lost Last Foal Would Like To Ensure Safe Arrival « Previous Next »

Diamond Almas
Neonate
Username: End_level_farms

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

I have recently purchased a mare.
She is in foal. However she lost her last foal at 335 days to Rhino. The foal was full term. This death was confirmed to Rhino by Necropsy.

My vet is unsure as to what is the best course of action to help her keep her current foal. (He did not expect her to keep the foal this long)

She is up to date on her shots including a 5 Way (Which has Rhino In it)

The vet has told me to hold off on the rhino and pnuemabort shots until speaking with others who have had a similar situation.

The mare is due to foal in April.

In the past I have always done Rhino only and at 5 7 and 9 months. Shes coming into her 7th month and Im really uneasy as she hasnt had anything yet as the vet has been conversing with other vets and they have not been able to tell me anything.

The vet doesn't think she will keep the foal.

As she still cycles every 21 days.

He said there is a hormone imbalance. But because of her size and lack of knowledge he did not feel it was safe for her to be on anything as she did catch naturally. And has to date kept the foal naturally.

Thank you for your input.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please no flaming.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is generally recommended that in high risk mares (which includes mares that have a history of Rhino-related abortions) the mares be vaccinated with the vaccine for the abortion strain of Rhinopneumonitis (EHV-1 sub 1) - Pneumabort-K and Prodigy are the only two in North America - at 3, 5, 7 and 9 months of pregnancy, and if they show no indication of foaling by 11 months, again then. The 5-way vaccine does not protect against the abortion strain of Rhino.

Rhino can be dormant in tissue and be stimulated into activity in stressful situations. Unfortunately in rare cases being vaccinated can be one of those stressful situations, although as a general rule there will be a greater risk in not vaccinating than in vaccinating.

About 10% of mares show estrus (heat) during pregnancy, so it's not that unusual.

As your veterinarian is conversant with the specific animal and your situation, they will hopefully have the best advice for you. I would push for some definitive answers.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOS brings up a GREAT point. I have a high risk mare myself and I keep all my mares (even though they are a closed herd and are not in contact with other horses) on Pneumabort (or the Prodigy) every 3,5,7,9 and then full normal vaccines within 30 days of foaling (to optimize the foal's immunities). In my opinion, the "Rhino" is confusing, especially if someone is self vaccinating, because the standard (non-abortion strain) product always says "safe for pregnant mares" and I have run onto more than one person who has bought this product as "an annual vaccination" and thought that is was the same thing as the abortion strain of Rhino and vaccinated their pregnant mares thinking they were protecting them against abortion. I appreciate JOS bringing the subject up that there IS a difference between the strains of the EHV virus.

This is the program that my veterinarians feel is the best preventative against loosing a pregnancy.

My high risk mare also exhibits signs of estrus during pregnancy, Jos also helped me to learn that this is not unusual.

Diamond Almas
Neonate
Username: End_level_farms

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both.

Im going to talk to a different vet tomorrow and see what he has to say.

I just hate to loose the baby as the mare is a National contender as is the Sire and the foal is likely to be better than even both of them As the sire and dam both have the opposite weakness'

Its frustrating in my area to deal with the vets because for the most part they are not interested in them and see them more as a nuisance than as horses that need to be treated the same as horses. I know there are some differences.

When my stallion nearly died to a bacterial infection (That the vet still doesn't know how he contracted it) There was only 1 vet out of about 15 that would come out.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diamond: Good luck. I'm blessed that I have a great crew of vets, but, just so you know...NONE of them LIKE working with a stallion. There are three different practices in my area (equine speciality) and none of those three would even come out and deal with a stallion (two of them were severly hurt by stallions). I'm not saying your stallion might have been the cause for the him-hawing around to have a vet out, but there are some that just will not put themselves at risk to deal with a stud. Sad really.

If you have difficulty with getting a veterinarian to set up a program for your mare, try to doing some phone consults with a state veterinary school or perhaps someone outside your district who could send you some information on good practices with broodmares.

JENNIFER CASWELL
Nursing Foal
Username: Jkcaswell

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lost two foals to Rhino last year, it was heartbreaking, and more devastating due to the fact that every horse on the farm was on a very strict vaccine regumine. Those mares are now back in foal and 6 months pregnant. They are now in a closed environment from the show horses, kept as stress free as we can possibly keep them. They get their Pregnant mare Rhino at 3, 5, 7 and 9 months. A month before foaling, when we move them to the foaling stalls, they will get a course of Zylexis, in case they feel any stress from moving. When we got hit by Rhino, every horse was treated with Zylexis, and I really think it helped to save our remaining mares in foal.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer - it may also be worthwhile vaccinating the mares again at 11 months in the event that they don't look like they're going to foal at that point too.

Deb Anderson
Neonate
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We gave the Rhino abort vaccine as recommended at 5, 7 and 9 months to our Maiden mare (8 YO). She reacted violently to the shot at 9 months and colicked badly. We had to put her on a weekly injection (can't remember what as my husband had to give to her, the vet did not want me (female) to touch the medication.)

She is bred again and our vet is recommending Not to give the Rhino shots this time. We have a closed herd and all horses are UTD on vaccines and worming.

Any thoughts? Is it best to Not give her the shots - or try at least one of the months and watch her carefully?

Thanks for your input.

JENNIFER CASWELL
Nursing Foal
Username: Jkcaswell

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely correct Jos! We are not taking any chances from this point forward with the girls, and we are being very aggressive to ensure all goes well. No guarantees in life, but better to be safe!

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb Find out what product was used and try the other one.
I have a mare that reacts to Pneumabort but is fine with Prodigy.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US