SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is she or isn't she

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Is she or isn't she « Previous Next »

Ruby Halter
Neonate
Username: Rhalter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare bred June 1 08 - confirmed in foal at 16 days - rechecked at 60 days. This is her 2nd pregnancy - she is currently 170 days. My question is when will her shape change? I think she is getting bigger around(her belly band on her blanket liner would not close!)but not a whole lot. I know that the foal will grow a lot during the next couple of months - Just curious - this is my first experience with breeding, it took 3 attempts at AI to get her in foal - so I'm really taking every precaution to make sure she has everything she needs to deliver a healthy baby! She is a 12 yr old APHA reining mare bred to a really nice Arabian Stallion known for his reining ability!

Katherine DaSo
Neonate
Username: Soarsamongstars

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not quite sure why you titled this 'is she or isnt she' since you know she is... but in answer to your question

each horse is different just like a human woman some women will show as early as 2 months and others at 9 months may barely show! horses are the same it depends on the size of the foal it also depends on the position they tend to get their shape towards the last end of the pregnancy and yet some mares start showing early on..

if your not sure if shes showing then take monthly photos to document the progression of the pregnancy..

She may not show, usually a second pregnancy is not enough for them to have a 'routine' so to speak I have seen non pregnant mares that look pregnant and pregnant mares that never showed....

since it is your first experiance i would suggest getting the baby checklist ie the vaccines what to feed make sure shes getting enough no fescue grass ect ect ect and compile this info so that she does do well

my only question is this....

why are you breeding an APHA mare to an Arabian (reining abilities aside since there are fantastic APHA studs available) im just curious is all

and congratulations let the roller coaster ride begin....

Ruby Halter
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the checklist, and I have followed it closely along with my vets instructions - she is getting everything she needs - I guess I just expected her to be bigger than she is and hope that everything is going o.k. You know, you spend the first couple of months ultrasounding, palpating etc and then you have the long waiting period till its time for foaling. As for the "why arabian stud?" We show arabians and half-arabians and reining is our favorite. This foal was well thought out and planned for.

Katherine DaSo
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah

I was simply curious, I know a friend of mine has a pintabian but was not sure as to why. Not saying it wasnt well planned out for. Some are and some aren't especiailly larger mares. if you have followed the checklist then your set... as for the long waiting period i sympathize!! Im going through it right now too and I KNOW shes going to wait until the worst possible weather to foal GAH!!!!

Dont worry, just because she isnt 'showing' doesnt mean anything many mares will wait until the last few months. and some wont ever show if your that worried, like I said take monthly photos my experiaince is that your so used to seeing her you may not notice a change in weight, but if you take photos and place them side by side you may go "Oh...I guess she is" sorta gives you an idea to go on

Ruby Halter
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up - I did just start photo calendar. After all the time and $$$ spent getting her in foal - guess I'm just an anxious waiter!

Katherine DaSo
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we can be anxious together, I want to see what the foal looks like!! I know My friends pintabian looked gorgeous had B&W markings but with the Arab build! and for people who say breeding horses is easy is WRONG!!

I have an arab mare due soon have a post on here due to a vet saying she wasnt and the mare does NOT look pregnant but showed all the signs of labor (She has mebbe a month or two to go) but shes a True Gray bred to a black... And Im ANXIOUS too.... i guess we dont see the changes because we are so used to looking at our horses all the time!

and you think your anxious now?? juuuuuust wait till she starts with the "Im in labor/....ha ha false alarm no Im not" and you start the dreaded mare stare game! keep us updated especially me I want to see how the foal turns out after the long anxious awaiting!

Diane Loveday
Weanling
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ruby, Katherine, My problem is just the opposite! My "maiden" mare started showing at barely 5 mo. She is my 1st mare in foal. When my vet came for 5 mo pneumabort shot I told him I feared for twins! Initially he said that it was just my imagination that she was already showing. THEN he saw my mare and had to agree that she definitely had a baby belly already going on. She is now at day 203, getting bigger, and looks great!!
I am reassured Katherine to hear that mares, like humans, can all carry differently.

Holly
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 968
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. they all do show differently. Some like mine go from small to huge and then small again. Making you think - Not preg, preg with twins, and lastly aborted. Only to find out she is still safely in foal with one baby!
These mares epically the maiden and second timers are enough to drive you to the funny farm. Hence why we call it DUHH. Welcome to the Duhh club ladies!

Katherine DaSo
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my arab mare didnt show, then all of a sudden she showed then she went down she too is a Maiden. I had her confirmed with a blood test early on, her signs lead to it, a vet palpated her and said "Shes not pregnant I dont feel a foal she doesnt look pregnant what your feeling is gas and bowel movement and her symptoms are due to the change of seasons since mares only go into estrus once a year' shes showing now though not HUGE but her belly goes lopsided and some days shes preggo on the right and some days on the left... the other day I felt the baby bump, so either shes pregnant or needs an exorcism because what I felt was NOT and I reapt was NOT gas

Holly
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 972
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, dont feel Bad at all, My vet missed my mares pregnancy not twice but 3 times on US and blood work. However the wee foal urine equine preg test showed positive. Vet came out again this time did a rectal US and low and behold a foal was there! Surprised the Vet, Funny was when she was 3 months she was in a raging heat and bred with a stally for a week. Silly mares!

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane my mare is 210 days and huge. I took her in last Saturday so the vet could see just how big she is and he agreed. Didnt see how he could of missed twins since he did ultrasound 3 time. 15,29 & 72 days, but said it could happen. Just advised to keep close eye on her. Hoping she is just carrying low. Everything goes well we will be on foal watch together.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US