SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Frustrated with Vet-Is she or is she not pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Frustrated with Vet-Is she or is she not pregnant? « Previous Next »

Katherine DaSo
Neonate
Username: Soarsamongstars

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salutations

I am new to this thread, unfortunately I do have a bit of a delimma, I have been playing the mare stare game. I understand many on here have posted about their false pregnancy/pregnancy topics and alas this is another (Sorry!!) I was hoping to find information and nothing reflected quite what I am going through, I mean some did some didn't but not as a whole and My Mare is driving me up the wall!!

Kehamas Wind Dancer is my Arabian Mare, a Maiden mare to boot. I am not sure as to her conception date, her breeding (Please do not fuss it was NOT intentional!) was accidental. She jumped her enclosure to get to a stallion that the Owner had let out (Why I am not sure) at any rate, she is utd on vaccines ect....but apparantly the exposure to the Stallion was several times (We could not figure out how she was getting out, we came back and she was haltered and tied outside of her stall) but back to my point of discussion...

She began displaying symptoms of the pregnancy, and was confirmed, she does not 'show' as most mares would but she has the impending 'v' under her belly, Dancer is a very small Arab Mare in general, at any rate I had her palpated less then a month ago the vet said "Shes not pregnant' this was after Dancer had bagged up bagged down bagged up and bagged down again, I was told it was a false pregnancy.that it was due to my mares hormones coming back into check since Mares only cycle ONCE A YEAR (Yes this was in caps for a reason *brow lift*) that since it was not fall breeding her udders were filling and lowering as she was readying for the winter I explained that I had done a 'bump test' method, felt movement and seen it, she told me it was likely her guts...(My Gal was palpated but when she drew back from the vet the vet gave up I dont think she even got a full palp) 2 Days ago My Mare began acting 'odd' I have been around other mares during their pregnancys but never experianced a false pregnancy...

Dancer began looking at her flanks, kicking at her belly laying down and even nested a spot, she acts 'coliky' but not coliky (If that makes sense?)flicks her tail her haunches have become 'jello'd' shes dialated out shes puffy her croup is loose, and soft. She is showing all the signs of labor (Aside from bagging again which my last mare didnt bag until after she birthed seems I get all of the ones that refuse to play by the book) she gets up to eat (less then normal but she eats) her behavior has changed, she lays down more then normal, drags her feet a bit to her nest and back down, occasionally she does stand to flick her tail bite at her flank has gone as far as lifting one leg to nip at her underbelly a turn and back down again. everything physicially shows signs... what do you guys think?? I think I am more frustrated at the vet and concerned for my mare at this point (though I have a lil kit all set up) Its a concern since this lil gal has been with me as a weanling...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think many of us have been in your same situation. (I know I have) Honestly, the best thing to do is to have her palpated by a different vet. If she's that far along, there's surely no way they'll miss it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also , do you have any pics of her you can post on here? During a "false pregnancy" my mare had lost her foal after day 35, apparantly, at day 35, they form 'endometrial cups'....anyway, that mare didn't come back into heat until the following spring. She began to bag up and continued to get bigger and bigger. Her milk even tested high on the milk test strips. I found though, that the difference b/w her and the other mares was this....
1) she never had any visible foal movement obviously...and
2) Even though her belly was huge, she never had that 'lopsided' look from behind (like you could see what side the foal was on)
3) Even when she was bagged up full in spring (near what would have been her due date) she never had any other signs ...no jello butt, no biting her sides, no pawing, no daytime sleeping....no loose croup, and no tail flicking....no nothing.
IF your mare is experiencing these things I'd definitely have her checked again...or assume she is, and watch her until she foals or stops...LOL

I wouldn't trust a vet who says horses only cycle once a year, I promise you that. If you have her rechecked, I'd suggest another vet's opinion.

BTW, we're neighbors...I'm in OKC

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an awesome mobile vet that services our area...he is out of edmond, and is one of the only ones in the area who can do EVERYTHING mobile. Even my regular vet recommends him if he's unavailable. He does dental, ultrasounds....everything.

Danielson Veterinarian Services
6009 N Bryant Ave
Edmond, OK 73034 Map

(405) 348-4301

Katherine DaSo
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much...okc huh?? ever go on any trail rides do you need a riding buddy? (Husband is military and I do not know a darn person) Shes experiancing it except the bagging up. I mean shows ALL signs, but after the last vet bill I simply do not have enough right now for it. (It sounds bad but I spent 1000.00 vet bill on a horse) thank you for the reccomendation! I'm adding it to my phone.

Im afraid to have her palpated again she hates it and after the last one I don't want to stress her.... again. She has the lopsided look sometimes her belly sticks to the left sometimes to the right, sometimes both depends, but its like she struggles to reposition her foal, she bites her flank turns lays down gets up turns again lays down, before getting comfortable.

thank you though for a response I feel a lot more at ease. I don't have photos but she isnt the storybook pregnancy, she does not really show, the only reason I notice is because i know her but from the side (ill try and snap a photo) shes drooped. Ill snap some shots of her 'lady parts' hah and side shots to get some honest feedback, I think your right that she is, if she isn't I have never seen a false go this long

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically, I haven't done a lot of trail riding up here, as I only have the minis...but I have recently purchased a riding mare (who's not at my house yet)...and may be in the market for a riding buddy before too long! LOL

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanna go with you neighbors im also in oklahoma very close to diana,

Diana we need to see if holly is still willing to host that get together! LOL! Katherine can come too! as long as shes not a chicken cammer!LOL!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheyenne....good to see you again.....I have missed your wit! LOL

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes with school i never get to talk much anymore because i am usually ..... of course...... messing with horses after school

Katherine DaSo
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol As much as I have been tossed bitten thrown kicked stomped slobbered clobbered I still cowboy up and dont lay there and bleed... it would be nice to 'ride' versus break and train between breaking training starting my horses and others I need a vacation ride to escape riding!!!!

Well shoot I am glad that I came on here I am making friends and riding buddies dont worry Diane if you'd like I have a horse or two I can loan you for a ride! besides I need to enjoy myself between getting my mare ready for next season *eye roll* and I need friends so it works!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's good to meet someone else in my area. We may just have to meet up and go for that ride. I used to break and train horses, so I know what you mean about all that. I am hoping to have my new horse here within the next week or so (I've been building her a stall and she's being delivered from Arkansas)....I haven't ridden a horse in over 6 years, and I'm sure I don't fall as well as I used to. LOL If you've got one for me to borrow, it needs to be very empathetic to that! I have a hard time escaping my children to go and do anything...but you live very near my parents who are in Edmond....and I could drop them off there and come ride with you.I've just moved to Oklahoma from TX and haven't really met anyone here to do things with, so it just might be great for the both of us.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am jealous...I want to ride with you guys too
:-( California is just too far...

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would'nt that be great if we could all get together for a nice trail ride

Katherine DaSo
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane

we moved from Texas too!! Del Rio!!!! (Laughlin AFB) and are stationed at Tinker which is why I am stuck here! I am afraid to ask what your husband does because i would find it very hillarious if our guys worked together or if you worked with my husband!!! *starts singing its a small world after all*I have a rescue gelding named Lakhota, took him in because of the rainrot and his condition was told I would be better off euthenizing him humanely because he wouldnt make it past 72 hours...

I don't listen to vets much so I quarunteened him put him on an iv for his dehydration, vaccinated him, tubed him for the colic he experianced after doping him and flushed his stomach with oil... (He was a walking skeleton and about 60 percent of him had open sores) funny thing is hes doing great between the pcn shots and care he went from being a 15+hh 500 pound horse who hated people into a horse that has put on in 2 months about 400 pounds and is a GREAT rider, I dont ride him much but your welcome to him or my barrel mare! and I have her trained to rein with dental floss if you needed, so either of those two you could hop on and not worry about eating asphalt! we have a neighbor here too, that we use his land to ride on 200 of its wooded and 100 or so is pasture. we have the abilities and horses all you have to do is just hop on a horse and ride!!

as for Linda, it would be great, maybe throw it all together schedule and do a nice long ride. in regards to trail rides there is always the okie arkie if anyone is interested its 2 times a year but its a week long ride heh...I missed the last one because my back was broken

Alright going to snap photos of my lil mare here, and figure out how to put them on (hopefully the mod does not yell at me) because shes driving me really crazy!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 991
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanna ride! I wanna ride! Oh...wait...I'm on the "horses injured list"...bummer!

HEHEHE!

Hey! Southern Missouri isn't TOO far from Oklahoma!

Diane: I wanna see you ride a mini! LOL! Wow, getting your new riding mare home will make you feel like you've entered the "giant equine world"!!!LOL!

Katherine DaSo
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with all the volunteer's Im getting here, I may end up organizing a ride!!!!not that I mind the more the merrier!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, none of my minis want to see that Bobbi! LOL I'm a tad over "fit", and I'm positive they wouldn't deal with it well. It'd probably be alot like when we tried to find video of Tim riding the pig,.. LOL!~ I have been at the barn all day building this stall...and came up 3 boards short....back to lowes tomorrow!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, how are blossom and the gelding? I haven't read your other thread in a while, as it is getting way off subject. Are they ok? And healing well? My thoughts are still with you. And I saw you had another bred....who?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your Riding mare sends her love and with this cold weather is anxiously awaiting that stall. lol Katherine I would say your mare is pregnant if she is showing all those signs. I agree tho Id hjave another vet palpate her or just wait it out and hope you dont go crazy for no reason.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, every muscle in my body hopes she appreciates the stall...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katherine, no, my husband is not military. I lived in TX from the moment I was born, and just recently moved here....not for work, as my husband and I both work from home and can pretty much live anywhere. So, why we chose tornado alley, I dunno...LOL Nah, my parents moved here and brought my baby sitter with them, so what was I supposed to do?! LOL

Katherine DaSo
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmfao

move of course! we got stationed but I Like oklahoma. truth be told so long as I have my horses I am a happy person! but it's good to make friends and well seems I may have a couple riding buddies!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 994
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: LOL! It would be funny to watch you ride those minis though! I'm teeny enough to maybe get by with it but am far toooo old...they'd zig and I would zag and that could prove funny!

Blossom & Nash are both doing quite well (knock on wood). Long ways from healed but getting closer rather than farther away.

And yes, Echo is bred. My mare that ripped so bad last year. Couldn't help it...had to move horses around during the chaos and she got stuck with "the boy". JJ is now the only foal who is completely weaned though. I had tried to breed her in Aug and wasn't getting penetration accomplished...thought there might be some scar tissue issues. But, evidently, nature took care of it in September. She's been 6 weeks without a heat cycle...I'm thinking we took. LOL!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, you don't think that there's any chance that she's just done with heat cycles for the year with the cooler weather? Are you going to have her checked?
I am very excited about that! I know you were upset when you thought she wouldn't be bred this year.
Excellent news that Blossom and Nash are coming around.
Things are starting to look better for you finally! You went thru alot of terrible stuff, I am glad to see it's getting better

You're welcome to ride my minis anytime....I have a 12 year old friend who weighs about 80lbs soaking wet, and she rides them, but her feet almost touch the ground. LOL

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Nope...She was quite a huzzy and let's just say, the job got done several times over for several days over. LOL!

She gets checked in two weeks. It'll be checkup time for Blossom & Nash so we're going to palp Echo at the same time. We've got to pull a tooth on Lena as well, so we're just going to do a second palp on her as well to make sure that she is on track still. (Although she is OBVIOUSLY prego in appearance..LOL!)

Hey! I weigh 92 lbs at 46 years old...is that close enough to ride a mini?!?! My god, I'd kill myself and then have to tell all my friends it wasn't the stud that got me but some sweet, cute mini that I didn't stay on in a turn! LOL!

I'm glad things are getting better too. I can't tell you how close I was to loosing both of them. I wasn't sure on some days that I was doing the right thing to keep trying when they were soooo bad. I'm glad I kept the gut check going and figured out in my head where that line was going to be...and that "that line" didn't quite get there.

I am excited about Echo. I would be lost in foaling with only one. I just hope that she doesn't have the trouble she did last year. I always worry about late babies as the weather starts to turn cold pretty quick. I don't know, I just hate putting a weanling through winter you know? My brain tells me that weaning is so much healthier if you have a good grass for them to eat on. We'll survive I'm sure.

If Blossom continues to do well and I can successfully get the Moose weaned off again, we're planning on breeding her in February. I'm contemplating doing a straight TB though. Going to look around and see what I can find in the way of stallions. Most of them are in IL or KY though and I hate to trailer her that far. You know, just in case foaling turns out to be a negative impact on her health, I'd like to get a full TB out of her before we consider not breeding her again. I'm still pondering! (I guess I shouldn't have watched the Breeder's Classic on TV last weekend...got the racing hunger again...LOL!)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The man who built my house lives here in OK, and owns a TB farm...he races everywhere, and has an outstanding stud who won $450,000 in one year (is that good?) His name is Day Trader, and he is GORGEOUS! He also has 2 other studs that have done very well on the track....don't know their names. Is OK too far to go? He always told me that if I knew anyone interested, he'd be happy to oblige.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, Here it is in finished form....hope it'll do for her. It is 10x20 with 6 foot walls on the sides and back, and a 4ft wall on the front. It's already bedded and waiting for her....!!!!! (and it's also the project that has kicked my a$$ in the last 2 days) LOL
[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC02043.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC02049.jpg[/IMG]

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa diana you built that in 2 days??? need some extra money?
HAHA just kidding i could never build a stall that good and you did it in 2 days wow im impressed i think she will love it

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its suburb she will love it!! I hear her saying thank you now. lolShes an easy going lady that will be in pure heaven

Suzanne Paulette
Yearling
Username: Spaulette0001

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a beautiful stall. She should love it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all, it turned out well worth the work

Katherine DaSo
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have prts of me that I did not know exisiting hurting!

Decided to take my 2 year old Appy on a playday... in an english saddle...and ran barrels and poles.... I appreciate now what a western saddle can do, English saddles are NOT made for quick runs short cutting (I DID stay on! but I'm good like that) but for his first time he did REALLY well has a natural competitive streak. usually when just working I have to influence him with a crop, today I gave a good squeeze of legs and he bolted... so I'm proud of him but have a feeling I WILL be feeling it later...

On another note, I had 2 days of Dancer NOT laying down groaning and showing labotr signs, well 2 1/2 so I said "Fine whatever maybe its a false" she started up again today laying down groaning turning and her poor belly was so lopsided that my husband who is blind to the horses went "Is her stomach supposed to look that way?" uh...duh...she either needs an exoricism or a birth... still loose in her croup timing is about right with when we realized she had gotten caught...I don't know all I know is she is driving me up the bloody wall!!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Your friend's TB sounds just fine with me! Haha! And no, OK is not too far to go. That's where Moose is going to go as a two year old...to start his racing career. Would you mind asking him if he would be open to breeding to a Seattle Slew mare? I certainly could hook him up with her pedigree and he can take a look at what her. (Some TB people are pretty picky who they breed to...she's a good bred mare.)

As they say...can you hook a brother up?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll give it my best shot Bobbi....I have been in love with this stallion since the day we met...and always told Gary that I was going to buy a TB mare, just to get a foal out of him!!! LOL

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Hahaha! Thanks. I wasn't sure from your post if he was openly breeding him. That's why I asked for your help. If he is, if you can get me some contact info, I'd be happy to talk with him regarding fees, etc myself. LOL! I would love to see a pic of him.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has 3 gorgeous stallions, but Day Trader is the most gorgeous. (If you like greys) If not, he has a bay with no white at all, and another bay with white socks and strip. The 2 of them are currently racing, but Day Trader (who is amazing) is retired due to a fetlock injury....but they have kept him to breed, and many of their awesome babies are out of him . Email me, and I will send you his info. kdgilger@att.net

Holly
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Katherine!
Please get some pics of your girl. BTW topic HiJackers!, I want to ride too!
Nice stall Diana!
Katherine, she sounds preg to me. How is she doing?

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK! Thanks Diana! Hmmmm...wonder what my color options would be with a...gray??? Blossom being the cherry red sorrel she is actually came from a dark brown bay dam...not sure what dad's color.

What the sam heck would a sorrel and a gray throw as far as color is concerned...hmmmmm

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Bobbi..fist off you want to know his base coat color before he turned gray..that would give you a start point....the gray is just a modifier and since your mare is not gray you have a 50-50 chance of getting gray....:-) Fun thing about Gray horses is that you get a different colored horse each year as they grey out:-) I always bet the grey ones at the race track!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: As an "ex-jockey" from long, long ago in a far away world of the "I Can't Believe You Ever Did That Bobbi"...you should always bet the gray at the track...hahaha...but, do you know why that is that you should??? LOL!

And you are so true...would be interesting to know what his base color was. Bet though the current owner wouldn't have a clue what it was.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I don't know why tell tell...I just love grays :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's owned him since he was young, so I'd bet he knows if you asked.....I bet he was born grey. He has black mane and tail, and is not the "turned grey" type. Bobbi, I know you jockeys well enough....When I don't know the track, I bet on the grey....but when I DO...I bet on the jockey! (You know what I'm talking about!LOL)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I emailed you! Did you call Gary yet?

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: Well, I'll tell you what I've always been told when I was in the industry.

Horses see in shades of gray...however, they can't necessarily "see" certain shades of gray. So, the theory of "bet on the gray" is that IF a gray gets out of the gates quickly and is in the front of the pack, there are some horses that won't pass something they can hear but not "see". (I hope this is making sense...hahaha). Therefore, the gray will win because other horses won't pass them.

Now, in reality, that is not always true. There are those that will pass them. But, I can tell you from experience that I had more horses I rode that wouldn't than would. So, it may be just "folk lore" but its awful coincidental.

And...if there weren't truths to some of the "mind over matter" concepts...there wouldn't be anyone using blinkers or other "sight blocking" accessories. Hahahaha!

Oh...and by the way...a sway backed horse can outrun a normal looking horse any day of the week. Geeezzzz...we had the ugliest two year old in our training barn that looked like a reversed-humped camel...I mean bad...(He was a running QH named Run Thirsty Run, out of Thirsty, out of Go Man Go). He was the fastest thing on four legs! Probably went to the circus after his racing career though...part of the side show. Ha!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: I pulled up his pedigree...nice...another famous boy in the bunch. Blossom and him have a few distant relatives in there but its far enough back that it shouldn't make a difference. Its interesting...my mare had some line breeding in there and so does this boy...I know that alot of people did that with TB's to try and enhance the good qualities. (Unfortunately, in my opinion, it also enhances the bad qualities). But honestly, a combination of these two would produce what I think would be a nice quality foal.

I'm going to do a "hypothetical breeding" on these two and see what results I get...I'll keep you posted.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Diana: Just did a Hypothetical foal...I'm telling you...when you combine the two, its quite an impressive list of "who's who"...I think your friend will be equally impressed of the possible outcome.

I'm going to give Gary a call tomorrow...(its slower for me at work on Friday's)

I'll email you the results of this cross. Thanks!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobbi for the explanation :-) So if you do breed and get a gray I will put some money on the foal to win :-)

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Jan! Whew hew! A gamblin' partner! LOL! I hope that made some sense. I had two grays that I rode in my barn and I swear, other than ONE gelding in the race barn, no one could out breeze me even if I was loping along...makes one say...hmmm

Jan & Diana: I'm getting quite amuzed at my new toy of breeding crosses. Call At Night and Day Trader are now the proud parents of a new foal named "Hypothetical" ROFL

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where'd you get that program bobbi?

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its on Equineline.com

The Jockey Club requires you to subscribe to that program in order to do "Interactive Registration" with their organization. I've been a member for years now. They do both TB and QH pedigree mixes. Its pretty darn cool! It just struck me so humorously that when I did the hypothetical breeding that it prints out the pedigree with foal name "Hypothetical" out of "Day Trader" and "Call At Night".

(It looks impressive when you see "War Admiral", "Seattle Slew", "Bold Reasoning" and "Northern Dancer" in those bloodlines.)

Because I'm a member, it automatically sent me an email when I registered "Moose" with APHA, which I thought was odd because he's not a Jockey Club or AQHA foal. It told me "Congratulations" on my new foal. I can't figure out where he shows up though...hahaha...its not on her nicking report...it still shows "zero" for foals for Blossom...I've obviously not got this whole program figured out. LOL!

Katherine DaSo
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well... I have been trying for days to get online and post photos but its been hectic here, went and bought 50 round bales for this winter Im going through 2 roundbales a week... and with having a baby on formula shes been taking up time...heres the update

the vet WILL be getting a photo sent with "thought you said she wasnt" she continued showing signs/symptoms today I confirmed it with a bump test, i palpated the abdomen just in front of the teats and pressed and damn if the foal didnt bump back and HARD, not once but several times it wasnt a simple gut movement like the vet said I probably felt...

I have even been able to watch Dancers stomach move, but i will STILL post photos just my time has been so darn limited Now to figure out posting links ill be back in a day to DL them!! (I have to snap them with my cell send them to my email Save them on my pc heh)

Holly
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, cant wait to see her!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US