SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Please give me hope!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Please give me hope! « Previous Next »

Cindy
Weanling
Username: Vanity

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favourite mare has been giving me some problems lately. She produced a lovely filly (caught first try) in 2004, in 2005 at 9 months gestation she aborted her foal, foaled a healthy colt in 2006, was bred once in 2006 and did not catch so was open and bred in 2007. In 2007 she was culture/cytology done and cleaned up as well as a caslicks put in. She caught first time (twinned) and one was pinched. At 283 days she developed placentitis and unfortunately aborted a dysmature foal at 326 days earlier this year.
I had a culture/cytology and biopsy done on her again this year (she had had a culture/cytology done in the past but not a biopsy) and it came back that she had quite a few different bacteria (ecoli and others I am not sure of off the top of my head) and was rated as having a Grade IIB biopsy. The vet said she had a lot of fibrous?? tissue in her uterus that they usually don't see so much of it until 17 or 18yrs old (this mare is 13yrs old). Anyways, she was bred a week ago and flushed post breeding with an antibiotic which these bacteria were sensitive to. So keeping my fingers crossed. Unfortunately we did not get the biopsy results back until the end of this week. Just wondering if we do have much of a chance of her conceiving and carrying a foal to term with this biopsy score? Can a biopsy score "improve" if an infection is cleaned up? Has anyone else had one graded a IIB and still managed to have multiple viable foals? Just wondering if I am throwing my money down the drain but she is so nice of a mare I just hate to not try atleast a few more times. Not only do I have to worry about whether she will conceive, but then whether she will carry it to term as well as the possibility of the placentitis recurring. Just wondering if someone can give me some hope. I swear she is going to make me grey before my time!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIB gives a 10-50% chance of producing a live foal.

Fibrosis - while more common in older mares - is certainly not unheard of in younger mares, as you now know. You might want to discus a Betadine/DMSO lavage with your veterinarian. DMSO has an affinity for fibrotic tissue, and a potential to reverse some of the fibrotic changes.

If you have not cleared the infection, the chances of pregnancy establishment/maintenance are just about nil.

Placentitis is suggestive of a compromised cervix - did anyone check that?

Cindy
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the infection have been cleared from the post breeding flush possibly? I know they flushed her post breeding a couple of times (with an antiobiotic that the "infections" were sensitive to she told me. She said the second flush looked really good.
Yes, she has had her cervix viewed/examined multiple times and nobody has said anything about it being compromised. Can they tell just by looking?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without doing diagnostics, one would know if an infection is cleared or not.

The cervix is manually palpated to evaluate its condition. Visualising it with a videoendoscope would be a good diagnostic for "looking at it", but use of a speculum is only going to evaluate the caudal end, not the whole thing; and the use of an ultrasound is pretty much useless for cervical evaluation.

Cindy
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well at 15 days post breeding she has been confirmed in foal. So I guess all we can do now is cross our fingers and hope she carries it to term!

Jane Whritenour
Nursing Foal
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its great to hear good news. I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed for you as well. ( my own mare is in limbo land as far as pregnancy goes)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US