SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

16 y/o mare odd cycles, horrid in stocks

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » 16 y/o mare odd cycles, horrid in stocks « Previous Next »

Karyn Shirley
Neonate
Username: Purplesageequine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have recently acquired a 16 y/o mare that has had 4 foals in the past. She was completely vetted before I got her (last fall) and the only odd thing about her was "abnormally small" ovaries. I brought her home (mid April) and about 3 weeks later had her cultured and a cytology done, she had a "mild gram positive" infection, was told cytology was "negative", was infused twice & sent home. This vet confirmed the small ovaries and also said she had a CL on the right ovary on that ultrasound. Vet said to put her on Regumate for 2 weeks and then Lutalyse. Did all that, took her 8 days to start showing to the stallion. Here is the problem, the vets don't want anything to do with her as even drugged she is a tyrant in stocks, sits down, throws her self around, etc. Can't get her u/s on a regular basis so am "breeding blind" here. She has been covered 5 times in 10 days. She takes about 20 minutes to "show" to the stallion and then we hand breed, washing each with warm water & a TINY bit of Ivory soap & lots of rinsing before. Any suggestions?? This is a VERY high quality mare that I really want a foal out of.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We breed blind to its kind of touch and go. IF you absolutly want to US her you might have to sedate her. Something tramatic must have happened to her in there. You should try building something that looks like the vets stocks work with her on going in and out treat in and out treat. I know everyone sayes no treat training but it works so good!! my mare wouldnt go in eather she had 20 some stiches a few year back and the vet had to sedated her and tied to the trailer to get them out! when we took her to a different vet she walked right in.

Missy
Nursing Foal
Username: Missy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare also that will drop to the ground before going in stocks even after sedation. We mildly sedate and then US and AI without putting her in stocks and she is just fine. She is now PG for this year and never had to be stressed out.

Karyn Shirley
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't U/S without stocks, will kick your head off. Raised in the swamps of the Tagus River in Portugal so is about half wild. Vets here just don't want to mess with problem mares. Any other suggestions as to why she is still standing for the stallion? This is NOT a submissive mare, alpha in the herd. No breeding hobbles, twitch, anything being used. I have been teasing until she does SOMETHING, try to kill him or squat & squirt, but 10 days seems excessive.

Karyn Shirley
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, we gave her enough sedative to knock out, well, a horse. Barely slowed her down.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

umm our mare stood for 7 almost 8 days on her first breeding. she didnt take and had to rebreed. dont know if it was cuz most madians dont take the first time or if the excessive heat cycle..... live cover right?? is this your own stallion or are you paying board? If its your own then your really not out anything and you make them both happy!!!

I hate that vets wont take the extra time. oviously shes halter broke, is the vets office isnt far you might see if they will let you try to train her to go in and out with out doing anything to her. They might be willing to let you if they want your money in the future.

is it the stocks or as he starts the exam? She could be extra sensitive or have BIG HANDS and hes not lubing up enuff!

Karyn Shirley
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, this mare is now in the 13th day of being willing to stand for the stud. I am going to try to get her U/S tomorrow (vets are complaining already). Does anyone have any suggestions concerning the biological factors with this mare? I know she needs stock training, I don't really need anymore info on that issue. Thanks for the help so far.

Rachael W
Weanling
Username: Lee

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Food....I bribe all of my horses to go in to the stocks with food. they have free choice pelleted feed - they gain weight - but we are all happy as a result. I do all the breeding by myself and I could not do it if I wasn't bribing them. Even the most squemish mares settle down after a few times in the stocks with a table of food set in front of them.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rachel...when breeding my mare AI we would put her in the wash rack with a feeder bucket of carrots and she would stand like a champ for AI, ultrasounds the only problem is that she is pretty disappointed and hollers when she is in the wash rack for a wash!:-) No treats!

Karyn Shirley
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have more than enough suggestions on stocks training. Food is NOT a motivator for this mare, will ignore hay, grain, carrots etc. and still throw herself around & kick like a demon.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions on the biological issues this mare has?

Tiffany
Neonate
Username: Wachurgo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karyn,
I have a mare with very similar sounding behavior. She will stand for stallion almost indefinitely. I have done a bunch of tests and protocols on her and no foal. The vet suspects she may have a granulosa cell tumor but there has been no change in the overy or her hormonal levels in the past two years followup.
I have also been given a suggestion that it could be an anovulatory condition....there is an article on the website here.
I would be interested to hear if you make any progress with your mare as I have been unable to find any satisfactory answers to my mare's issues and am still searching.

Karyn Shirley
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have given up for this year, will try next year and see what happens, thanks for the advise everyone!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, i hate to hear that Karyn...better luck next year

paula mcrae
Neonate
Username: Paulamc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

personally i cant understand why the vets cant sedate her. sure there are alot of drugs that are fairly mild sedatives, and if the horse is already adrenalised they wont work, but if you give the mare dormecedin or something like that, or butomidor, which stops the kicking reflex, the mare cannot possibly fight against these sorts of drugs, its impossible
perhaps the drugs have different names, i am Australia

paulamc

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US