SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

At Wits End, 5th Try Shows Negative Preg Check...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » At Wits End, 5th Try Shows Negative Preg Check... « Previous Next »

Carol
Neonate
Username: Blzngcarol

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Title sums it up. Just checked the mare this morning, it was try number 5 in two breeding seasons and mare was not pregnant. She is a 9 year old maiden. We have done everything with her, culture, cytology, biopsies, oxytocin protocol, regumate, flushing and putting in antibiotics after insemination, and nothing. She has been bred with fresh and frozen semen all by the same stallion. We also gave her SETTLE at the end of the last breeding season, and that made her terribly ill, she had an adverse reaction to it.

I will say after her third negative preg check last year, she had a positive culture and cytology for e-coli. We got her cleaned up and verified it with a lavage culture at the end of last breeding season, and checked her again before we bred her this year and she was clean. Biopsy last year came back I believe as a 2a. The vet is going to do another culture and cytology on her tomorrow, so we will see what that shows. I will also say that the semen we have been working with is not the greatest. It does get mares pregnant, we actually have a foal by that stallion out of another mare, but the vet says it looks average to poor under the microscope.

One side note, the mare has been on regumate since 5 days post ovulation, up until the check today, and the vet said she had edema, which she shouldn't since she has been on regumate. Don't know if that adds another piece to the puzzle or not.

The vet has said maybe it is a compatibility issue, how often is that the case? The only reason I even decided to breed this mare was because I liked this one stallion so much. She said maybe breed her to another stallion with better semen this year, and assuming she gets pregnant then go back to the one I like next year. She also said that if we use a stallion with great semen, then we wouldn’t have to wonder at preg checks if the semen was the issue. I am hesitant to do that, because first we won't really have the extra space for the foal I wasn’t planning for, and two my pocket book is getting low fast. The vet bills alone have been close to $10,000 when you count the incident with SETTLE, and that isn't including collection or shipping fees. Yikes!!! Please any advice is welcomed, I am going crazy.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, it sounds as though your vet has already made the comments that I would...

Incompatibility is rare, but it does happen, and the only way one really gets an inkling of it is if you breed to a different stallion and the mare immediately becomes pregnant with no trouble.

The issue of the semen being poor may not be as big an issue as you might believe - take a look at the article about "poor" semen for further clarification.

Carol
Neonate
Username: Blzngcarol

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If compatibility was the case, and she does get pregnant with another stallion this year, would there be any use in trying with the original stallion next year while she has a foal at side? A lot of ifs I know.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably no point in trying with the same stallion. Incompatibility is incompatibility...

Note too, that after 3 cycles of breeding in the same season, the uterus is getting pretty tired and insulted, so the chances of establishing any pregnancy is significantly reduced.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US