SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How do I tell if she's in heat

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » How do I tell if she's in heat « Previous Next »

Kristin Schmidt
Nursing Foal
Username: Kristins

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that we bred via AI last year and she lost the foal. This year, we've picked a different stud and are ready to breed. I had the vet out yesterday to check her and do a culture and sensitivity on her. She has good uterine tone and was not in season as of yesterday, but should be next week according to my calendar. We do not have a stud to use to tease to, and the two geldings we have are the mare's brothers. What are some physical signs I should look for besides the obvious ones - squatting, frequent urination?

Thanks,
Kristin

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really depends on the mare. I have a couple of mares that never show signs of heat and then I have a couple of mares that will stand in their stall with their tail raised "winking". I would just have the vet out to ultrasound her when she should be coming in heat and he should be able to tell you if she has a follicle :-)

Kristin Schmidt
Nursing Foal
Username: Kristins

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy. The problem with having the vet out is this, we live out of range of most of the vets. The one we've been using only comes out into our area one day a week, otherwise it costs $145 just to have her come out here!!!! We're trying to avoid having to have her out here on a day that isn't her normal one. There are other vets that are closer, but, they require that we have a palpation/breeding chute to check her. And, we don't have a horse trailer to haul her into the clinic. That's why I was asking if there are other ways to check on my own. I have a degree in Animal Science, so I can pretty much handle some situations on my own.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note that the ultrasound needs to show not only a follicle, but uterine edema as well. Mares can produce mid-cycle follicles (that may even ovulate), so follicular presence alone is not enough to go by.

Note too that you need not only a uterine swab with culture and sensitivity, but also cytology (follow that link for more information). In fact, the culture results are pretty much worthless without the cytology to support the findings.

If you are going to have difficulty identifying when to breed the mare, you may wish to contemplate using P&E (again, follow that link for details).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US