SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos-Regumate for Pregnancy Maintenance

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Jos-Regumate for Pregnancy Maintenance « Previous Next »

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
I know this has been covered a zillion times out here and I have read the Regumate article.... My little bitty brain isn't really good at this sort of stuff and there seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions....

Both my mares up at Gumz Farms (KY) are now PREGNANT.
They have both had two ultrasounds (one at 16 days and one at 28 days) and preganancy has been confirmed with the detection of the heartbeat, etc.

The one mare (who is NOT my "problem child" and maybe this is part of what is just "flooring" me) is being kept on Regumate and they are advising me she will need to stay on Regumate to maintain the pregnancy.

The exact statement they have now made to me twice is:
Serenade By Skip is still on Regumate. We did a progesterone screen on her and it came back at 2.8ng/mL indicating that she does need to stay on Regumate.

Is this just something that we need to keep testing for when we get her home? Is there some point/level where she can go off it. My understanding is that this is the second time they have tested her and she was 2.8 on the previous test too.

These are my lunge-line futurity babies for 2010 and I want to be as totally careful and correct with these pregnancies as possible.

Thanks (again)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hormone profiles vary throughout the day, and from day to day, so a single evaluation is not necessarily going to be an accurate representation of what is going on. If she had been retested 3 hours later, she may well have had adequate levels. And that raises another point - what is an "adequate level"? 4 ng/ml has been suggested as the lower threshold limit, but there is research out there that suggests that pregnancies will maintain perfectly OK on 2 ng/ml. Additionally, mares that are put on progestin supplementation tend to suppress endogenous secretion, so by giving a mare Regumate you may cause her progesterone levels to be lower (and Regumate does not assay as progesterone, as it's not).

When to cease using it? Well, if you've read the article about Regumate use then you'll know that the fetal-placental unit secretes progestins from about 120 days onwards - indeed, an ovariectomized mare can be given progestins up to 120 days after having an embryo transfered into her, and then from that point on will maintain the pregnancy with no trouble and no ovaries!

There is no answer to your question. At least, I'm not going to give you one... That call is all yours! :-) I will say this though - we don't use Regumate except in very rare instances where we know there is a specific problem such as an incompetent cervix, and we have excellent pregnancy and live foaling rates... We do however use a fair amount of oxytocin to make sure that the uterus is nicely cleaned out after breeding - no fluids left behind to cause a low-grade endometritis that might impact CL function and interfere with progesterone secretion. And oxytocin is a lot cheaper than Regumate... :-)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
Update----
Okay, I have decided to continue this mare on Regumate up to approximately Day 120. We have tested her levels on numerous occasions and haven't been able to get anything over 2.8; therefore ---- I have purchased my big ole 1000 ml bottle of Regumate.

I have over $10,000 in stud fees, mare care, etc. to get these mares preggo so I am just going to go ahead and say another $250 or so isn't a big deal in order to try and be "safe" with the one.

Next question----
I will be giving her 10 cc/daily thru Day 120; that being said, I wouldn't think that you would just quit giving it to her on Day 120, like BAM! Stop! Shouldn't one sort of "ease" her off of it, like over the course of 10 days or so, maybe say 1 cc less per day until she is done (thru Day 130)?

I am thinking of such things as steriods, etc. and you don't just WHAM, stop giving those things (No matter what Rick Dutrow claims :-)

I would think you would "ease" her off of them. My vet sort of just shrugs his shoulders and says, well....if you want to keep buying Regumate (which isn't an issue).

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine, I was told that if you ease off like you say, it's easier on the mare. I kept my mare on ReguMate the whole pregnancy, only because I also had over $10,000 in expenses and wasn't about to let hundreds keep me from doing everything possible to keep the pregnancy going.

It was more of insurance and my peace of mind, than anything else.

My vet suggested to reduce the amount by 1 cc every couple of days until the mare is completely off the ReguMate.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing as your mare probably doesn't need progestin supplementation, how you cease to give it is probably a moot point... :-)

If you're going to sleep easier by weaning her off, then that's probably the way to go though.

Barbara Ritz
Weanling
Username: Spring

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading the article on using Regumate [or not as the case may be] I have a question. If the previous owner kept the mare on Regumate and the mare just foaled in April, do I have to do it also? The article suggests that use of Regumate may make the mare dependent on it. Would just one year of use mean the mare could be dependent now? I prefer not to use it, of course. The mare settled on the first breeding so I am sure she is fertile. It has been suggested to me that I put the mare on Regumate for a few days before and after taking her on a two hour trailer ride to an Inspection in the middle of July. Actually they said to use Regumate and Banamine to help her deal with stress and heat. I am looking for some sort of cooling sheet that would stay cool for several hours. Anyone have any ideas on any of these ideas: Regumate dependence; Regumate for a few days, Banamine for the trip? Any advice is welcome

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long-term progestin therapy has been suggested as suppressing endogenous progesterone levels in mares over a long-term period after cessation of treatment. This has been seen for example in competition mares kept on progestin therapy for many years to suppress estrus behaviour.

Shorter term progestin supplementation of pregnant mares to allegedly "support" endogenous progestin levels has been shown to suppress endogenous secretion over a short-term period, thereby exacerbating the need to "support" with exogenous progestins.

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to your question available without serial testing (3 or 4 times a day for 3 or 4 days in a row) as to whether you "need" to use progestin supplementation. If there was no obvious and defined reason for its use previously (e.g. incompetent cervix; levels confirmed <2 ng/ml for several sequential days etc.) the chances are good that you do not need it, but that leads to the eternal conundrum - if I were to say "you definitely do not need it" and your mare loses the pregnancy, who do you look to blame? :-)

Stress in pregnant mares as a result of trailering has been demonstrated as not being significant enough to cause pregnancy loss under research conditions. Having said that, raising the internal core temperature of the mare, especially during early pregnancy has been demonstrated as capable of causing pregnancy loss, so in that type of a situation, in hot weather with a mare that stresses during transport, the transport itself may not be an issue, but the heating of the body core temperature may be. Unfortunately, giving a mare Regumate is not going to impact reduction of the core temperature...

In other stress situations (injury, sickness etc.) short-term progestin therapy has been shown to be beneficial in assisting pregnancy maintenance, and I am a firm believer of its use there.

As noted above though, there is really no single answer to your questions, all one can do is put facts before you and allow you to make your mind up based upon them, which I hope I have done here.

Barbara Ritz
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jos. It didn't make sense to think that Regumate would help for just a few days. I have found some "coldflex" sheets that can be used to maintain core temp. I hope to be able to adapt them to the mare. They are used on burn victims to reduce the heat in deep tissues. I think I can use this on the 2 hour trailer ride. I am looking into it for the July trip...

Heather Bolding
Nursing Foal
Username: Ponyponi

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do decide to keep her on it have u considered injectable ??? I used it last year and LUVED it and sooo much easier 1 a week + cheaper

Barbara Ritz
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we went to the Inspection; the weather was awful [97 degrees]. Now we are back and the question is whether taking the mare off the regumate will have a negative effect on her 51 day pregnancy. We put her on Regumate at the advice of the vet for a "few days before the trailering to the Inspection". I planned to stop the Regumate tomorrow but now worry that stopping abruptly could hurt the embryo. Maybe 6 days of Regumate will have no effect...I am hoping but would love some advice!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no research or definitive answer to your question. As previously noted, most mares don't need the progestin therapy anyway, so stopping it doesn't make any difference. If you are uncomfortable going "cold turkey", then "weaning" is a possibility - halve the dose every two or three days.

John Tyree
Neonate
Username: Jettex

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos I have a 24 year old mare that hasn't had a foal in two years. She is in great shape. So when I went to get her bred this year she was put on Progesterone (P4LA) by the vet. I give it IM every 7 to 10 days. After 150 days she started swelling up where the shot was given in the neck. The vet said that I will have to give the shot in her rear leg on a inside muscle. I don't like to give shots anyway, so can you change from the shot form to a oral form this late in the pregnancy? Want to keep her on the progesterone but don't want the shots. She is confermed in foal at 150 days.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BET Pharmacy have a 30-day Altrenogest that you may want to discuss use of with your veterinarian. It is injectable, but only once every 30 days. It does tend to produce a localized reaction, but again, it's only every 30 days...

It is now generally not recommended to give injections in the neck, as there tends to be a greater risk if there is a reaction in that location, as drainage is poor. It's maybe not as much of an issue with a "thin" liquid such as oxytocin or prostaglandin, but with a thicker solution such as progesterone or altrenogest, other locations tend to be better. The location that we use the most (and allows for rotation) are the chest muscles - one on one side one day, and then the other on the next day. You might want to check with your vet about the use of the "rear leg on a inside muscle", as I suspect they mean the back of the leg muscle, not the inside (which would be pretty dangerous for the person giving it!).

You might want to review the article about Regumate use. One item of note that you may want to consider is that unless you are dealing with a specific issue such as Placentitis or an incompetent cervix, the feto-placental unit is secreting progestins (having taken over from the CL's present up to about 120 days), and research has shown that in the absence of specific issues (such as just mentioned) progestin supplementation is not necessary. Note that progesterone levels are meant to decline from about 90 days of pregnancy onwards, and to bottom out by about 150 days.

To answer your question specifically - there is no reason why you could not replace injectable progesterone with oral altrenogest ("Regumate"), but a better question to ask may be do you really need it?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US