SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Uterine cysts

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Uterine cysts « Previous Next »

Tracey Thompson
Neonate
Username: Laughitoff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I have an 18yr old mare that I have tried unsucessfully for the last 2 yrs to get into foal. She has been live covered once and AI twice with no luck

The vet has told me that she has two cysts. One is the size of an embryo and the other is a small one.
The first year the larger cyst was thought to be an actual embryo so she was ultrasounded in foal but only to find out later there was no such luck.

The vet has told me that she can get pregnant and that the best idea is to breed her live cover or run her with a stallion for the summer

Has anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome.
She is healthy other wise and has carried a foal full term a few years ago. any ideas?????

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has cyst's too. For my mare it was a clearance issue not a cyst issue for the lack of pregnancy and once we used Jos' Oxytocin Protocol, we got pregnant. The only other thing was to ultra sound at 14 days but again after 22 to see the heartbeat...a brand new pregnancy and cyst look alike :-) Good luck!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

• A cyst of this size would not be an issue unless located in a way to cause failure of closure of the cervix.
  • Live cover and pasture breeding have a lower pregnancy rate than well-managed AI, particularly in older mares.
  • What has the breeding soundness examination shown? There was one performed wasn't there?
  • Was the cytology clear (there was a cytology performed in conjunction with a culture wasn't there?)
  • As noted by Jan - delayed uterine clearance is a very common issue in older mares, and easily managed with use of an oxytocin protocol (follow that link for details.
  • If you still don't get a pregnancy, you might have a better success rate using a veterinarian that specializes in reproduction - preferably a theriogenologist.

Tracey Thompson
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes there was a full work up done for this mare. Vet has said she is not a lost cause and that he could remove the cysts but felt they would just come back. He also said that he could not "map" them as they were always moving around and shrinking and growing back to normal size.

I have read the Oxytocin protocol but will the antibiotics be needed as well or do you think just the oxcytocin. (maybe I should read it again)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK... *puzzled look* "they were always moving around and shrinking and growing back to normal size"???

Cysts are not mobile, and are pretty static unless pedunculated (which is more common with larger cysts, which you indicate these are not). Nor do they grow and shrink at a rate that would make it difficult to map them from the time of breeding to the time of pregnancy checking 15 days later.

Are you absolutely sure this is not free fluid in the uterus? It too shows as a black area on ultrasound, and could mimic a cyst - but would be mobile and change in shape and size (unlike cysts). That would make more sense in a number of levels...

Tracey Thompson
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I asked to have the cysts mapped, then when an ultrasound was done by a new vet (horse being moved to another location)the new vet could tell if there was an embryo or if it was just the larger cyst. The old vet said that the cysts were always moving and not staying the normal size.

A full reproductive work up was done on this mare as she was bought soley for the purpose of becoming a broodmare. Somehow the cysts were missed in the work up?????????

Maybe it is just fluid, does this mean she would need the oxytocin and the antibiotics. Maybe the oxytocin pre-breeding would help.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote would be fluid. I have a mare with a cyst, that has been mistaken for an embryo. Now, when we do preg checks, we look for two objects :-)

It is probably fluid that is not clear, which I think means there is some sort of infection. Yep, I would definetly do the FANTASTIC Oxytocin Protocal. I swear by it, the article is very helpful. I have a mare with a lot of fluid, she will be given Oxytocin twice before breeding, then Oxytocin again, lavage, then continue on with the Oxytocin Protocal :D

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is probably fluid that is not clear, which I think means there is some sort of infection.

There's no reason to think that the fluid is not clear and/or purulent. If the fluid - if that's what it is - is being mistaken for a cyst, that suggests that the u/s image is showing it as black, and that in turn indicates that it is clear fluid, and therefore probably sterile. If there is purulent material within the fluid, then it will not show black on the u/s image, but demonstrate a grey appearance (the greyer, the more pus).

If it's just fluid, and it's up to about 1" in depth at most, then the use of oxytocin alone will probably be sufficient. Greater than 1" and a lavage plus oxytocin is recommended. Pycock has shown that the use of antibiotics post breeding may be beneficial, and I have certainly used it with some mares - typically older mares with known uterine problems that have been treated with oxytocin and failed to conceive. The "recipe" that Pycock uses is not easily available in the USA, but we will typically use "Timentin" as a post-breeding infusion if one is called for and there is not a specific antibiotic indicated as needed.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos- We have not done a cytology/culture, and my vet is hesitating to infuse the mare with a lot of fluid with an antibiotic because he hasnt done a cytology/culture. Would it be unreasonable to ask him to use Timentin? Is there any harm that could be done?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is concern about not treating as a result of not having done the culture and cytology, then at least do the cytology... it takes about 3 minutes to pull the swab; 5 minutes to prepare the slide; and about 5 minutes (at tops!) to read... so... even allowing time out for drinking coffee, 15 minutes should see a result to work off.

If there are inflammatory cells present, then there is a genuine need to determine what is causing the inflammation. If it were a yeast, then using an antibiotic would be bad. You have however indicated that the fluid seen in ultrasound is clear black (like a cyst), and clear black indicates as I noted above that it is likely sterile fluid.

So if he's uncomfortable, I'd ask him to pull the swab and prepare the cytology, then treat appropriately.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US