SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mares holding onto follicles this year?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mares holding onto follicles this year? « Previous Next »

Amanda Mitchell
Neonate
Username: Mckulley1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else battling mares holding onto follicles for a llllooonnnngggg time this year?

This particular mare is not known for this but this year MAN! This is the second cycle, she did not take the first time, and we're on day 7 of heat with a 30mm follicle and this mare ovulates off of a 45-50! AKKK.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda,
I am breeding two Quarter Horse mares this year and one mare just won't go out of heat. Nice follicles but she's driving everybody nuts.

I keep thinking she is still in transition because she had a bizarre winter. Came up from Florida in late November so started to grow her winter coat in December. Wasn't even thinking about shedding off when we shipped her to KY in early April. They've been two go-rounds with her in the breeding shed and now we are waiting for the third.

The weather has been strange in some parts of the country. I wonder if it has anything to do with it?

Amanda Mitchell
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a warm winter here. So much so that the mares continued to show heats through the winter (can't tell you about ovulation..doubt it...).

The first cycle we bred on I had short cycled her. I "may have" missed her as we were doing live cover with a virgin stallion. I say "may have" because the one time we short cycled her last year she came into heat and ovulated all in three days. Of course she continued to tease in for several days after. The exact words after my vet said that she had already ovulated was... WHAT!?

So this last cycle was long long long but I was not checking her, more concerned with getting this new colt de-virginized.

However, as he now knows his job we are not going to be doing that...yesterday evening she had many small follicles on the right and two equal sized larger follicles on the left. Today she just has one 30mm ish follicle on the left.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having the same issues! Mares holding on, and having insanly long heat cycles. I have a mare that is having 10 day long cycles! How on Earth am I going to handle getting collections/shipements for her? With the semen coming from KY, this may be an expensive mare to breed! lol

We also have a mare that we suspect is double ovulating.

Amanda Mitchell
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a client in IA. Now they had a COLD winter. She has two different stallions. She bred four mares last cycle. Not a single one took to either stallion. She said they all had 12+ day heats, she just gave up towards the end.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I truly think every one is transitioning late/weird, etc. this year. My mares are at a highly respected facility in Kentucky and I have total faith in these people.
They have been aggravated with my one mare mentioned previously.

And my other mare normally can just get "talked to" by the stallion and she conceives. They missed her the first go-round this year. Seemed to cycle normally, had a nice follicle, everything appears to go great but 14 days later, no embryo on the ultrasound. And this mare is typically no problem. She did cycle back normally and they bred her again on the 3rd and 5th of May, so we are now waiting for another ultrasound on the 19th.
Mare 2 is still trying to decide whether she wants to go out of heat. Aaarrrrghhh!!!!

(Message edited by cateowen on May 12, 2008)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every year we hear the same things... :-)
  • Are mares cycling later this year?
  • Are mares holding onto their foals longer this year?
  • Is anyone else having difficulty getting mares pregnant this year?
  • Is there a higher incidence of EED this year?
  • etc. etc.
Sorry, but what we're hearing is no different this year than any other! :-)

It's called the frustrations of breeding and foaling! :-)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm....
Nah, I know that my two mares are just specifically targeting me, they are probably enjoying this and chuckle among themselves at night.

They know I check the "Mare Progress" page several times a day in hopes that one of them has been updated. They laugh because they know I run to it first thing every morning and last thing before I go to bed at night.

They are doing all this on purpose and to cost me as much mare care as possible.

(Message edited by cateowen on May 12, 2008)

Valerie Myers
Yearling
Username: Libertybelle

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare held on to her follicles forever this year and it took 3 heat cycles also before we got her in foal with insemination. We thought we were going to have to pinch an old follicle, but she finally shed it and 10 days ago we had a beautiful new Buckskin Filly addition to the ranch!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm... you can't "pinch" a follicle... Well, I suppose you can, but it wouldn't get rid of it. It'll probably just annoy the mare...

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, one of my mares showed up preggers on her ultrasound yesterday!!!! (This is the one that we thought was "batty" and I was truly already thinking of second career choices for her.) Wouldn't "go out of heat". They did the Oxytocin thing with her and apparently the 4/28 breeding took!!!!!

Now if my mare bred on 05/03 and 05/05 (the "normal" one) is pregnant next week --- I'm going to "PARTY LIKE ITS 1999!!!!"

Amanda Mitchell
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My "new" old mare, 21 this year, no foal in four years was checked 22 days IN FOAL today. Thanks to the Oxytocin therapy and checking her T4 (low normal) and getting her on Thyro-L (now mid-range normal).

I asked my vet while he was out today if he felt this year mares were being particularly long with holding onto follicles and he said he just couldn't believe it!

I know last year and the year before it was normal 7-9 day heats depending on the mare...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US