SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos ~mare rejecting on color~myth or truth

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Jos ~mare rejecting on color~myth or truth « Previous Next »

lisa t
Neonate
Username: Lisa2008

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos
Is there any truth to the statements of mare owners that their mare will not let a, for example, bay stallion breed her.(also heard the same for stallions having color preference)

I have heard of these mares kicking under heavy sedation..... flakey mare or flakey owner?

Lisa

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I handle a Section B Stallion that does not like bay mares. He was kicked several years ago by a bay mare, that was before I started handling him and collecting him, no more live covering. He loves grey mares, will tease to a grey mare even when she is not in heat but is leary to tease to a bay even if she is in heat. "He likes Blondes"

Angela Barbour
Yearling
Username: Palominomare2006

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare loves colt but she doesn't like filly she treat filly different.

My stallion doesn't not like chestnut I don't know why but he does not and he loves palominos

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horses, while not humans, are animals with a brain, and there is no reason why they should, or should not, prefer a specific animal or colour. If one watches horses together in a field, often the more radically coloured animals hang together, while the solid animals are separate (e.g. skewbald/piebalds in one corner, and the solid horses in another).

Nicole Barrow
Nursing Foal
Username: Pegasus

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find this interesting because, correct me if I'm wrong, horses are colourblind and would not be able to distinguish a bay vs. a brown vs a black? They see in shades of gray and would therefore be able to distinguish broken colour vs. solids but not the actual colour.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 812
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horses may very well be color blind, i'm no expert....but have known stallions that will not breed palomino mares. Why? I have no idea....maybe it's that particular shade of "grey" he doesn't like

Nicole Barrow
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horses are colourblind

I'm sure that if some proper analysis was done, there would be another reason apart from the apparent dislike of a colour...

(Message edited by Pegasus on August 17, 2008)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, on then....with your 'proper analysis'...don't be late! (oh, and take your time....)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 818
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just on a side note.....
My husband is color blind as well....and when he told me he did not like green cars, I didn't feel more analysis was necessary. I don't assume there is some "other" or "hidden" reason. I just know it's true.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With only two types of cones in their retinas, horses have more limited color perception than people. Neitz found that the ponies' eyes responded to blue and green but not to red. Using the computer data, he constructed an equine color wheel showing that the horse's version of green is different from ours. "They have cones like our blue-sensitive ones," says Neitz, "and they have a cone [class] that's similar but not identical to our green-sensitive ones. Those cones perceive more of a yellow color."

When viewing red, horses see an earthy color with a faint yellow and blue hue. Magenta and its blue-green complementary color are seen as gray. "Basically, there are certain colors that the horse can't tell from gray," Neitz explains, "and there are certain colors that are not like gray but that can't be distinguished from one another."

Although horses can see blue and yellow as separate colors, when presented with blue-yellow, the image is perceived as gray or white. "When both types of cones are stimulated equally, you don't get an intermediate color, you get no color," says Neitz, "and they don't see its complementary color. It's the same for people. If you stimulate red and blue, you get purple. But put in green as well, and you get white."

Neitz's findings indicate that horses probably see the world similarly to people who suffer from red-green color blindness.

Taken from a highly informative article to be found at Equisearch (follow that link for the entire article).

In other words, although horses are colorblind, they are not seeing solely in grey scale.

I had an associate whose work is also referenced in the article (Timney) who did a research project several years ago that had the results published in a scientific journal - and if I remember correctly they were also presented in Equus magazine - where the horses were given a stimulus reward if they pressed a certain colour button. The results clearly demonstrated that they could differentiate between some different colours.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, there you have it! Thanks Jos

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mustang hates white horses! a blaze is fine and socks are ok but white spots or gray JUST HATES THEM, will go out of her way to throw a foot, bite or stomp....the daddy of her baby is a tovero. she was very nervous to start with but became very friendly to him as it was live cover! As soon as she starts to come out of heat she wants to kill him again. We were very nervious that she might hate her baby but its all good, hes solid....

Nicole Barrow
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also did some reading on the subject and also discovered that while horses don't see in shades of grey, they wouldn't actually be able to tell the difference between red bays, chestnuts, sorrels, darkish palominos, duns, buckskins etc.

They would be able to differentiate between white vs. black but not 'natural' tones ie medium shades of brown.

So to all intents and purposes it still doesn't show that a horse would have a preference for one colour over another, or a dislike of one colour over another unless of course it was black or white.

I think one could only state it is fact when proper tests have been conducted in a controlled environment.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Timney research was conducted in a scientific environment and manner with suitable controls.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US