SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnancy VS Cyst. Any opinions?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Pregnancy VS Cyst. Any opinions? « Previous Next »

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 10 year old Thoroughbred mare, who has previously had 5 foals. She was biopsied in early March, and has a Grade IIA uterus.

She was first ultrasounded at 17 days (so she probably ovulated two days post breeding), the results looked like a possible 15 day pregnancy, but she has a history of a cyst. The cyst looks like a 14 day pregnancy. Uterus had good tone, and cervix was tight.

The next ultrasound was at 20 days. At which the vet said it looked like an 18 day pregnancy. Uterus wasnt quite as toned, but cervix was tight.

I teased her at 22 day post breeding, and he did not show any signs of heat (where she is notably good about letting us know when she is coming into heat, and when she is ready to breed)

So here we are at tonight: 23 day post breeding. Looked like a 21 day pregnacy, with a bit of fetal detail. The vet said that if he could find that cyst, then he would be confident that she is pregnant, but he cant. I am getting very irritated and frustrated with not knowing, because I need to tell the stallion owner. Her uterus was progesterone dominated, and cervix was tight with no significant follicles.

So, does anybody have ultrasound pictures of a 21 day pregnancy, and an ultrasound picture of a cyst?

Also, how would a retained CL present?

The vet seem to think that "thing" in question is growing, which makes me think its a pregnancy, but he can't find the cyst.

Any thoughts?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have much experience in this but she sounds pregnant to me

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she's prego also, and I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I get the "pregnant vibe" from her.lol.

But the vet doesnt seem to think so :S

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, does anybody have ultrasound pictures of a 21 day pregnancy, and an ultrasound picture of a cyst?

Check out this article on the web site. Note that there is no way to differentiate between some cysts and early pregnancies, but by 23 days there should be a heartbeat visible, and cysts don't have a heartbeat.

Make sure in the future that the uterus is mapped prior to breeding, and cyst position and size is recorded! :-)

Also, how would a retained CL present?

There would be a CL visible on ultrasound; Progesterone levels would be elevated; and the mare would not be in estrus ("heat").

Note incidentally that checking the mare by teasing at 22 days is a bit late. The interovulatory period averages 21 days, but can vary by up to a couple of days in either direction, so it is quite possible that the mare had already returned to estrus, ovulated, and gone back into diestrus. If you want to check by teasing, then one should start teasing at 14 days after the prior estrus, and tease every other day to day 26, but which time if there is no estrus, there is a 90% chance of pregnancy.

Laurie Ridgeway
Neonate
Username: Lridgeway

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a mare retains a CL what needs to happen for her to release it?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typically, treating with prostaglandin.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US