SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

False pregnancy or pregnant???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » False pregnancy or pregnant??? « Previous Next »

tiffanie bennett
Neonate
Username: Benntiffanie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 21 year old mare that is supposed to be on her third pregnancy. Last year we bred her about 30 days after foaling. She was scanned and had a 40 mm folicle. We covered her the next morning, and gave her an hcg injection. We scanned her at 15 days, and she was not in foal. The stallion lived in a stall where he could actually touch her for teasing, and she did not come back into heat. So we scanned her again at about 30 days post breeding, and she was in foal. However the size was very small. She never came back into heat. I had her palpated at ~ 7 months, and was told that she is not bred. She has showed some mild signs of heat recently. However, she is bagged-up (not something that she does when open), and is acting very uncomfortable. She is relaxed around the tail, and some mild colic symptoms. Every bit of her behavior suggests that she is pregnant. However she is not a large as she usually gets. I really don't want to pay for another vet exam. Any suggestions...?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a bit of the same dilemma. I had a mare who was sonogrammed in foal at 45 days, then at 8 months told she was not pregnant. She has never come back in, and is fully bagged. Her milk even rates up there with my mares who are due now on the milk test strips. She is not her usual pregnancy "tank" sized self, and I have no idea what is going on with her. She bites her sides, hips are relaxed, and "acts" as if she were pregnant.I am waiting to see what happens. My vet told me that if she'd lost her baby after 45 days gestation, that she may not come back into heat for about 200 days (it's been longer than that and she's still not coming in) Sounds like we're in the same boat of not knowing what's going on. But all the info I have gotten from others says "have her palpated again"...it's the only way to know. Also, I am worried that if I don't get it looked into soon and corrected, that I'll not be able to get her bred this breeding season. My mare is 16 and I feel only has a limited number of foalings left, so I am going to have her palpated again next week.l

tiffanie bennett
Neonate
Username: Benntiffanie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would reall like to hear what you find out from your palpation. Good luck.

Heather Jaunakais
Neonate
Username: Ravenloft

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please Help! I bred a mare last year april 07, confirmed prego and has not cycled since- even got a belly. she has always cycled regularly and was a total hussy before she was bred. The vet just did a rectal exam and he said there was no foal. He gave her the shot to bring her back in, but my question is: what are the chances that she will even cycle normally on her 1st heat of the season that was induced, and actually take???? Should I wait until her next heat cycle for better chances?

Brandy Worley
Neonate
Username: Brandy_w

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone had a pregnant mare show signs of being in season in the 6th and 7th month and nothing before that?

Beth Sanford
Neonate
Username: Speedymoose

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 23 yo mare is due the end of May (5/28). She was bred and never came back in heat. She has always cycled monthly and this would be her 5th pregnancy.

As of now, she has not got the belly one would expect for a mare of this gestation, her teats have dropped down but not begun filling, and basically just doesn't look pregnant. Her dates are certain and based on 345 day table.

She didn't get a belly, bag up, or appear the slightest bit pregnant with her last foal....the vet we used told me she was open following 6 palpations, 4 u/s's, and a serum. She had a big, healthy filly then.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I plan to have her palpated as soon as the mare I'm waiting on foals and I can leave the farm! If she slipped her foal, I don't have plans to breed her back as of now due to age.

Brandy Worley
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, what is a serum? and when your mare cycled did she do the normal stuff, like squatting and wetting . I was wondering about blood test and how they work !B

Beth Sanford
Neonate

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I didn't elaborate on that part! I'm 15 nights sleep deprived right now....Lady is giving me fits. See the post under foaling & immediate post foaling called "is baby too big" for an explanation!

Yes, she did all the textbook "in heat" behavior every month like clockwork. Once bred last year, she didn't continue to have these heat cycles and was assumed bred.

The vet tested her blood (serum)for PMSG, pregnant mare serum gonadotropin and called her open. With the last baby, not this one! I was told this test acts like a human blood test for pregnancy, except that one tests for human chorionic gonadotropin.

This was the same vet who did 6 palpations beginning at day 30 and ending around maybe 180 days....and called her open each time. Also did 4 ultrasounds to detect pregnancy, called her open each time....even when I asked "what's that" one time (when I'd evidently seen the baby) and I was told "that's just a shadow".

I went on back to college 6 hrs away leaving mare in care of non-horsie parents....who had the delight of finding the filly that she had unexpectedly. This was many years ago...this was the only vet in the general vacinity with an u/s machine or I'd have gone somewhere else. I no longer use that vet.

BTW, there aren't shadows on ultrasounds. This whole episode of the unexpected filly prompted me to do my senior thesis on reproductive ultrasound in the mare.

AG
Yearling
Username: Tilly

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in a similar situation. I have a 6 year old maiden mare that went to stud late last year,she was covered and scanned not in foal, then covered again, scanned not in foal again and never came back into heat again. As it was late in the year (early august) I decided to take her home. The stud said she had stopped cycling that year (even though I have seen her in season as late as november in previous years)

I havent seen her in season since, and she used to be in season on a regular basis in previous years. She has been an absolute psycho the last few months, other horses cant even look in her direction without her freaking (she's not normally the most friendly mare but this is extreme)

I am starting to think that maybe the vet made a mistake. (possibly wishful thinking) I am assured that this is a good vet (not my own)
I dont want to waste any more money on this mare incase it is just my imagination, and besides she wouldnt take too kindly to being palpated (she was sedated for scans)

After all that pointless explaining, my question is: is it easy for a vet to mis diagnose when scanning? I wasnt there when the scans took place

Brandy Worley
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is- how affective or accurate is the blood test and how much are they.I used AI with Frozen Semen in sept-07 did not have her checked because she did not come back in season Until last month (march) and it was only a little bit and for 2 or 3 day's nothing normal. this month (april) she showed on tue-thru thursday, friday was not interested in my stallion..all she cares about is food. can one feel the baby moving at 7 months?

Beth Sanford
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is my understanding that if they are pregnant, the blood test should show it. Of course we had a false negative. I don't know if the vet I used was just unaware of how to read the test or if she really tested negative, though! I never saw the paper with the results on it (or I'd have found out what that value meant for myself).

It's been my experience over the years that some mares will show signs of heat but be pregnant. My best friend has a mare who is bred but they use to tease with for collecting the stallion because she shows heat and will show to the stallion. We call her "Hoochie Mama"!!! lol

I'd say these sound like good questions for the board administrator.....I'd like to know too!!!

Brandy Worley
Neonate

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your help..who is the board admin?

Beth Sanford
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I believe. He seems to really know alot about these sorts of topics...maybe he'll see this and tell us!
Beth

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US