SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare hates other horses --- How will they know if she is in heat?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mare hates other horses --- How will they know if she is in heat? « Previous Next »

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure someone has brought this up previously but just scanning the threads, I didn't notice.

I now have a mare that has an intense hatred of other horses, I mean profound. Doesn't matter mares, geldings, etc. In all fairness, I don't know about stallions, I don't currently have one on the place.

I am shipping her Monday to the breeding farm. They use a teaser and I am just wondering "how this will go". I mean this mare does NOT like any other horse so far as I can tell. I have had her about 4 1/2 months now and she hates everyone on the place --- horse wise, however is a real people lover. In fact she thinks she IS a people. (I have covered this in another post under general mare questions).

She has already come into heat this year as we have had a breeding soundess exam complete with ultrasound etc. done on her --- wanted to rule out tumor issues because of her nastiness, etc. and it appears as she was getting ready to cycle then, however in the past 3 weeks or so she has continued to try to "eat" my gelding from across the fence every day. Wants nothing to do with him (or any other horse) for that matter.

The gelding thinks he is a real "guy" sort of and "gets on" with the other broodmare who shows heat obviously and vividly AND regularly. This other mare wants nothing to do with him (or any other horse for that matter) no how, no way.

I've never had a mare like this. I suppose if the teasing won't "go" they will rely on exams, etc.? They do all AI so "live cover" won't be an issue ---Probably, THANK GOD!

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow..that is a problem...has she had babies before? If not, are you concerned if she'll "hate" her foal?

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
She has had one foal in 2006 and apparently things went "swimmingly" as they never "really" weaned the little bugger and he ended up causing ligament damage to one of her teats. She apparently she nursed him etc., i.e., didn't reject him.

I just thank the stars we don't have to try and "live cover" her --- I bet the stallion is glad too!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares like this you usually twitch to tease. Some we lip chain and twitch.

Bobbi Govro
Yearling
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine: I have had this issue before with my stallions of times past. I've just always used breeding hobbles to tease and only allowed the stallion access to her hind area (which of course is restricted to only being able to walk forward).

I used to own a gelding that I purchased and brought home and he was the same way. Hated everything that moved (he chased our cattle trying to kill them as well). We finally took the approach of no human contact with him (I mean like grooming, catching, removing him from the situation) because I thought...hmmm...is the behavior continuing because we are "rescuing him" from the group the minute he's aggressive and so now he's learned that if he is aggressive he gets all the human contact he wants...just a thought that it's learned repetitive behavior perhaps.

We finally decided to turn him loose with the entire herd for a few weeks during the summer when grass was plentiful and there was no need to grain or otherwise mess with anyone. He chased, bit, kicked, bruised and basically tormented everyone and then...finally they all got sick of it, no human rescued him from his terror reign, and finally THEY all put him in his place and taught him to respect them. We suffered through everyone's battle scars but it finally resolved itself among the "herd."

Now...I would never recommend that for anyone...nor suggest it as the solution. Just wanted to let you know that I've seen this before also. It's sad really because you know that there is something that happened in this horse's life that started this behavior and unfortunately as the lucky new owner, we never know the story that perhaps would shed some light on how to fix it.

At least you have the opportunity to AI which should solve at least the breeding problem. I only live cover with my stallion but that is easy because I don't actively promote him. He came from his own troubled childhood and has issues with hating humans but he's a great buddy to the mares and he plays "wild stallion" games with my gelding who thinks he's king of the mountain as well.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all.

Awwww....this mare is a "people", literally. She doesn't think of herself as a horse, honestly. She was a show horse from the time she was a baby and is happiest with people. We have now had her a little over 4 months and I think I about have her figured. She would load up in the truck with me at night and go to the house if I would let her!

Anywho...she was delivered to the breeding farm on Tuesday afternoon. They are a first-rate facility (Gumz Farms in Morganfield, KY) and I think they breed a couple of hundred mares a year. I bet they have had some worse than our gal.

Funny thing though when we put her in her stall in one of the mare barns, she looked very upset. When we started walking off, she started pacing and whinnying.
My other mare we hauled her up with just dropped her head and started eating hay as soon as she got to her stall. Looked at this other mare like "Calm down, they have food here!"

My "spoiled pet" just seemed inconsolable that we were leaving her. Once again, I don't think she cared a thing about the other horses --- it was her people that were leaving!

She'll be okay.

We are Quarter Horse people and thank goodness for AI!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always hard leaving your babies at the breeding farm though, I would almost cry every time I left! She's in great hands and hopefully you'll have two pregnancies here soon!

Adriana Angelich
Nursing Foal
Username: Faluut42

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a few mares that actaully get bitchy-ier towards other horses and nicer to people when they are in heat/prego.

When we where teasing one of the mares this year, she tried to kill the little pony stallion, and so we said "shes in heat" to the vet. The vet of course said that he doubts that but we will ultra sound her if we are that sure. Turns was in heat and if I recall correctly, we bred her the next day and caught.

So you might have a mare that instead of being in 'standing heat' is in 'try and kill anything with four legs heat'.

Let us know what happens.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Adriana.
Nah, this mare is an "equal opportunity hater" and is very even-tempered: mad at ALL other horses ALL the time.

She loves people and I am definite now, she would prefer to live in the house with us rather out in the barn with the other horses.

She is a sweetheart to ride and mess around with, loves attention and I have noticed has become quite possessive over me.

I have to say, I have had horses most of my life 30+ years now, I have NEVER had one like this. She couldn't give a "fig" about other horses, ANY other horses at any time.

At least we don't have the problem of her being herdbound or the associated. Although she has become attached to me and as I posted earlier it was hard to leave her at the breeding farm because she just had a fit when my husband and I started walking out.

Progress note: They have already bred her (AI of course) so we are now anxiously awaiting her first ultrasound. They said she was in heat less than a week after we left her.

I am really excited! We bred her to Huntin For Chocolate (AQHA) http://www.huntinforchocolate.com/

Here is a pic of her (of course she is by herself in the pasture)
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z283/catekennedy/pasturepic3.jpg

I'm hoping for a gray. He throws about 50% gray.

We also bred my other mare to him as well. Her pic is below:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z283/catekennedy/PasturePic2.jpg

They are both daughters of Don't Skip Zip

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine, both your mares are beautiful and that stallion is gorgeous! You are going to have some NICE foals!

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine- It is my mare Adriana is talking about, she is a difficult one for sure.

I'm sending prego mare vibes your way! Good luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US