SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Double Ovulating

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Double Ovulating « Previous Next »

Jarad Mason
Neonate
Username: Jarad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My TB Mare who has been barren since foaling a filly in 2004 double ovulated when breed a couple of weeks ago.

Prior to breeding her I brought her to Louisiana State University and did a complete breeding soundness examination. They could not give me any reason for her not being able to get in foal. Her biopsy score was a IIB because of her breeding history. She had no fluid, no endomitritis, and only minimal fibrosis. Her biggest issue from the past was poor breeding management from the previous owner.

My question is does double ovulating increase this mares chance of getting in foal? And if so is there any kind of precentages from previous study's?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jarad, Don't know the answer to your question but I highly recommend that you ultra sound at 14 days to check for twins....Good luck hope she takes!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double ovulating mares average an 86% pregnancy rate. Single ovulating mares average a 58% pregnancy rate. The only drawback is that some of the double-ovulating mares will have twins, but there is a 97% recorded success rate in manual reduction if performed by a competent practitioner, so you still have an average ~83% singleton pregnancy rate in well-managed double-ovulating mares!

Check out the article on twinning for more details on that topic.

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of interest, wouldn't a IIB biopsy score mean that the chance of her actually getting in foal is greatly reduced?

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I believe the precentages are 10-50%.

My wife told me this morning that she noticed some thick yellow discharge. Anyone know what this may mean? She gets checked tomorrow, I am guessing this is not good.

Thanks for all of the information!!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No - the chances of producing a live foal are 10-50%. She may get in foal with no trouble, but have intra-uterine problems that will lead to a higher incidence of EED or abortion. Fibrotic changes for example lead to a higher pregnancy loss rate between about 35-90 days of pregnancy.

Without more details on the discharge, it's impossible to make a suggestion - is it coming from the cervix? Is it pus or could it just be estrus urine? etc.

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called and tried to get a better discription from my wife. She said it is coming from her vigina and the discharge is similar to mucus you would cough up if you had a cold.

Jos do you have any quesses on what it might be? I am not all that worried becasue I will find out for sure tomorrow, just curious as to what it might be.

(Message edited by jarad on March 30, 2008)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has she been bred recently (last 48 hours or so)?

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, tomorrow will be 14 days since she had double ovulated, so its been a couple of weeks since she was last covered. She will be checked by the vet tomorrow to see if she is IF.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, a pus-like discharge at that point is not so good... there's a possibility of the mare having a major inflammatory response of some sort in the uterus (pyometra), and of the cervix relaxing as a result of her coming back into estrus (and therefore not being pregnant), and the pus in the uterus therefore being allowed to exude out of the uterus/vagina and be seen externally... but tomorrow will tell... Good luck and let us know!

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told that the chances for a IIB were 30-50%?

Anyways, I am breeding a IIB mare this year, and am willing to spend a great deal of money getting her in foal, and helping to make sure she carries to term, because she is a valuable mare, who's foals are exceptional dressage horses :]

Keep us updated!

Jarad Mason
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it would happen to be a inflammitory response I wonder how or what would have caused it and if there is any way you can prevent this from the time of ovualtion until the mare is checked 14-16 days later.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "new" Kenney Biopsy scoring system runs like this (this is taken from our short course notes that every attendee receives):

Kenney Biopsy Scale

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the mare has delayed uterine clearance issues, then the inflammatory response from the sperm - which routinely cause an inflammatory response after breeding, and actually need to to increase likelihood of establishing pregnancy - may not have been cleared and produces "breeding-induced endometritis" ("BIE"). Treatment with an oxytocin protocol probably coupled with uterine lavage may prove beneficial.

But today you'll know...! :-)

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting that Jos.

Though it dissapoints me, that my mare will probably abort the foal again :S Oh well, its worth a try I guess. It would be a fabulous dressage foal if she did carry to term, maybe its too much to hope for :[

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US