SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

JOS? HELP ABOUT MARE MILK/FALSE PREGNANCY

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » JOS? HELP ABOUT MARE MILK/FALSE PREGNANCY « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SURELY someone can answer this. Those of you who use the milk test strips....If I have a mare who's going thru a false pregnancy, bagged up with milk, would her milk register any calcium on the strips? And would it continue to rise just as it would during actual pregnancy? Also, would her milk go thru the color changes from yellow to skim milk to milk? or should it just be clear?

Pamela Corsa
Neonate
Username: Minis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having the same thing happening with one of my mini mares. She was covered twice but I was sure she had come back into season. Last week I noticed her udder developing, she will be at 300 days tomorrow, so I did a test strip. It turned one square, three days later 1 1/2 squares last night 2 squares. It looks like milk, but thin. Is she in foal or not????

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3146
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AS it turns out, that mare was NOT prego. But...depending on your mare, there could be several explanations. First of all, has she foaled before? And how often are you taking milk. I have one mare who bags well in advance and foals around 315 days....if i milk test too often, her calcium tests way too high way too early. In other words, she's overly sensitive to being milked and produces more milk as a result of it. Testing once every other day is recommended because of that. How does your mare look? Take some pics and post em here!! Looking forward to seeing her!

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I am testing her once every three days. She is my very first brood mare and has had 13 foals. Five before I owned her and I did give her years off. She did not have one last year. She normally foals between day 300 and 305, but this time she would be in foal with a Shetland and I learned last year they take longer to cook. The thing about minis in the northeast is they develop an enormous amount of winter hair. Really sometimes I think I'm raising miniature buffalo. I did clip the bottom of her belly, but you really can't tell a thing by looking at her. I guess the fact your mare also increased in squares and did not have a foal tells me the milk strips may not be accurate. Is that your conclusion? I wish I could send you a photo, I don't know how. Thanks

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3154
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the thing. Milk has calcium. So even if a non prego mare has milk it will have calcium in it. The testing strips have always been accurate on prego mares for me. If you're suspect that your mare is bred, I'd definitely keep an eye on her as if she was. you are welcome to email me photos if you'd like to kdgilger@att.net One thing, my mare was very inconsistent with the test strips while not pregnant...she'd have 3 squares one day, and 1 the next. I believe that if your mare is progressing at the rate she is she seems to be right on track. Have you felt for foal movement? Spend about 1/2 hr with her while/just after eating...usually foals are most active then. Look at her from behind, does she appear lopsided? Also, my mares milk never changed colors....it was always thin and clearish yellow. if yours is turning white, i'd be watching for a foal in the next 2 wks or so.
Take into consideration that some mares do show heat at around 90 days gestation because of the hormones. I have one who does it every year!

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,

My Bear is a wonderful mare and her foals are in demand, but she has her own agenda. Apparently me sitting on the stall floor with my hands on her belly was not part of it. She kept moving away from me, pinning her ears and finally took her front leg and hit my shin with it. I didn't think I was doing anything to warrant that. So much for trying to feel the foal. I will stand behind her and see if she is lopsided. I didn't think of that. I still don't know how to send a photo, but thanks. I'll let you know if she seems lopsided.

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well she did look lopsided in the afternoon, but not so much that evening. Today is three days since I last tested her, so I did so this AM. I usually do this at night, but I work tonight. She went down 1/2 a square. So maybe not in foal. Time will tell.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she is LOL esp if she's lopsided then not

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear is the one mare in my barn who will let me do a rectal exam on her. I don't like to do them on minis but with her it's been OK. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK I can't find my gloves. This will have to wait until Friday.

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I can't tell. I have never checked a mare that far along and have no idea what to feel for. My vet just left and he agrees her udder is impressive, but she seems too small to have a foal in there. Back to waiting.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you vet just left? How come you didn't have the vet palpate, or draw blood, or do a wee foal? Seems easier than waiting without knowing to me LOL

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His hands and arms are too large to safely do an exam on a mini. When I moved here a few years ago I didn't realize I had entered hicks ville. The vets here don't have a clue what a wee foal is and this past fall was the first time my vet (who is in his fifties)ever drew blood for a pregnancy test. All things considered, I'm OK with waiting. I have heat and cameras on her. Of all my mares I have the most faith in her ability to handle things if I'm not there. She is still only turning 2 squares.

Pamela Corsa
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, she finally came into season. No baby. I did have three beautiful foals and I'm delighted with that. They all turned 5 squares. It really does work.

Elaine Jane Gouldthorp
Neonate
Username: Daff

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi am new to this can anyone help me i brought a mare last september she was very under wait been on new frorest running with stalion was told she was in foal but nothing has happened yet she has milk and soft at tail end and hips are out belly very large but not put wait on anywhere else.? HELP.

Joyce Ensley
Nursing Foal
Username: Goda_15

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elaine do you know how old she is? Post some pics on www.photobucket.com. Open a free account and once their uploaded, copy and paste a link here. Look foreward to seeing your girl.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US