SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How long after flushing can I breed??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » How long after flushing can I breed?? « Previous Next »

Lisa
Neonate
Username: Blah

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that has been having troubles with uterine infections and after 6 months I finally have her clean and the all OK. My vet suggested I flush her again on day 1 of her cycle and then breed her ( AI fresh ) every secon day till she goes off.
So, I flushe her on day 1 with a mixture of irrigation water and antibiotics and gave her an oxy. Then I bred her 36 hours later and then again 2 days after. What I am worried about is..is there a possibility that some of the antibiotics remain in the uterus and then kill the sperm?
What are the usual timelines?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether there are problems will relate greatly to what antibiotics are being used, how often and how much oxytocin is being give, and how much of a delayed uterine clearance problem the mare has.

If you are using an aminoglycocide - gentamycin or amikacin - then there is a risk of inflammatory response in the uterus (they tend to be more irritating than some other antibiotics).

Of tremendous value in mares with delayed uterine clearance issues is the use of a full oxytocin protocol (follow that link for details).

We like to use Timentin as our antibiotic, which is fairly broad spectrum, and not particularly irritating (the most suitable antibiotic may not be Timentin in your case however, depending upon what pathogen and sensitivity you are seeing). In many cases, simply using a Lactated Ringer's solution lavage (no antibiotic) prior to breeding has served us well, and that can be given as little as one-half hour prior to breeding with no negative impact.

If you have used oxytocin, and lavaged only on the first day of estrus, the chances are that you will not have interfered with establishment of pregnancy (by the time the mare ovulates maybe 5 days later), but it may also be questionable how valuable a single lavage like that would be in a problem mare, especially if there was not a full oxytocin protocol used in conjunction.

Time will however tell.... :-)

Lisa
Neonate
Username: Blah

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that. I used gentam with a short acting penicilin and irrigation water. Then only 1 dose of oxy, this was on the Monday morning. She was then inseminated Wednesday night and Friday night. She was off on the Saturay. I know the flush had really helped her condition as she has had quite a few of this mixture on previous cycles with no reaction. I was just worried that some of the flush may still remain in the uterus and kill the sperm.

Amanda Mitchell
Neonate
Username: Mckulley1

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare came back with a 4+ culture of Staff and E.Coli. She has good repro conformation. The vet was out today and did a flush and infused with abios. The flush was nice and clear. He suggested to short cycle and re-culture. For breeding he suggested a flush after breeding, oxytocin, and giving an "Equi-stim" shot.

What is Equi-stim? How does it work for breeding? Where do you get it?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did the cytology show? (Follow that link for more details).

Equi-stim is the same as Settle and works the same way - follow that link for more details.

Cindy Holland
Breeding Stock
Username: Iagrl

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I hope you can help me with this.

I had my mare cultured on her foal heat. From the readings I have done, many times the culture will come back positive on the foal heat. I bred my mare last year and she took on the first breeding and was a maiden mare this year. She has good exterior reproductive conformation.

This is what the prelim results came back with:

Heavy mixed growth of S. equisin and E. Coli. S. equi susceptibility see below. Possible strict anaerobes. Call lab if further susceptibilities are desired.

Should I treat this mare with a flush? Or do another culture during her next heat to see if things have cleared out? Would I be able to do the LR flush during her next heat and breed the mare right away?

Please give me advice. I'm a novice when it comes to flushing the uterus, cultures, etc.

Thank you,

Cindy

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you note, post-foaling uterine swabs will commonly return a positive growth. In fact, it's to the point that we don't bother or recommend doing post-foaling swabs as they are a waste of money.

Research has demonstrated that post-foaling lavages are actually detrimental to pregnancy rates (I don't have the citation handy, but it was peer-reviewed), so you may not want to perform a lavage.

There are 4 key "ingredients" to improving post-foal estrus pregnancy rates:
  • A trouble-free delivery (i.e. no dystocia or retained placenta etc.);
  • A normal placenta - not excessively thick, thin or discoloured;
  • Little or no vaginal discharge by about day 7;
  • An ovulation that takes place >10 days after foaling.
If you have a situation with all those factors in place, your odds of pregnancy will be increased proportionately.

Cindy Holland
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos. I should have done more research on the uterine swab during the foal heat so I didn't waste my money!

My mare is coming up on her 2nd post foaling heat in approximately a week. She did not have any of complications you listed above. The breeder is requiring a clean uterine culture. Should I have my mare recultured during her next heat cycle? My mare foaled a month ago. Am I reading your post correctly when you indicate not to do a flush at all? Or would I want to do a flush during the second heat cycle after foaling, if the culture is positive?

Thank you,

Cindy

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cultures mean nothing by themselves. Read the article!

Stallion owners that require a "clean culture" are unfortunately not as educated as they think they are! :-)

If the mare is being bred AI it's really quite academic, as you (the mare owner) are taking the risk of the mare not being fertile due to an infection - there is no risk to the stallion! Having said that, if I were to ask for proof, I would ask for a "clear cytology" not a culture.

If the stallion owner needs a clear culture, you'll have to reculture until you get one that's clear.

We would not lavage a mare unless there was an indication to do so. There's no point in putting stuff into a uterus unless it's needed! If the culture AND CYTOLOGY demonstrate a uterine pathogen, then treatment with a suitable intra-uterine infusion is recommended. A lavage is probably not needed.

Cindy Holland
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again Jos for the information. I did read the article and I understand what you are saying. The stallion owner says she has had problems in the past with mares settling, so now requires the culture to make sure there is no infection. Until I read your article today, I didn't know the need for the cytology. I'll have to see what I can do with the cytology. Anything that is collected has to be sent to a University.

Thanks again,

Cindy

Cindy Holland
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the ignorance! I'm trying to understand all the steps required for this. I don't breed very often and have never done a uterine culture before breeding. This is a new area for me.

Barbara Lewis
Yearling
Username: Baraka

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm having trouble finding Timentin. Can you tell me where I might order it (with a prescription)?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2934
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a prescription-only item, so through your veterinarian.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US