SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Need advice on mini mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Need advice on mini mare « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Nursing Foal
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 15 yr old mini mare was taken to the breeder 4-8-07, ultrasounded in foal at 45 days. (pasture bred) She came home underweight with sand colic, but recovered quite nicely once back home. I assumed she was pregnant this whole time (she'd be due in march if she were)... she was kicked the other day, and started bleeding from her vulva, and when I rushed her to the vet, they did external and internal ultrasounds and palpated her and said she is not bred. (that was 2 weeks ago) Here's the weird part...during the past few days, she's begun to bag up slightly (she always does this about 6 wks in advance of foaling), and she has an obvious lop-sided look about her from the back. And sometimes it is on the left, and sometimes on the right...My vet is one of the best horse vets in tx, but doesn't see minis on a regular basis...he only does mine because there's not another horse vet in my area. So here is my question....is it possible that he was wrong after a palpation? if my mare were moving into her last month, would there be any way he'd miss that? Doesn't seem so, but why then is she looking so pregnant and beginning to bag up?

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana, sorry about the news. I wouldn't think a vet could misdiagnose this late in her pregnancy, but you never know. Are there some other repro vets that you can at least call to get a second opinion, or mabey you could call some local or non-local mini breeders and ask them their opinion and who they use for a vet. Please keep me posted either way. Don't you have another mini due around 3/25?

Diana Gilger
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene, I am currenly using the only vet who'll even see minis in my area! The way I see it at this point, only the wait will tell for sure. I'll just keep my eyes on her, I guess. We have 2 other mares due in March...one on the 1st week, one in the middle, and this one....if she's bred....? I don't know if this would be different in minis than regular sized horses, but it's worth asking. You know that little "pooch" in front of the mare's udder? I have typically only noticed it in my mares that are near foaling....and the mare in question has it too....then I had to wonder....do ALL mares get that when they get fat? haha! I have no idea. This mare has settled EVERY time in her foal heat, and has never lost a foal, so I'd be surprised if it went any other way, but who knows. I have no idea what to do, or what to think.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I were you I would buy that WEE FOAL test to see if she is still prego. When I go back out to the barn later, I'll look at Mimi(our mini) to she if she has that pooch( I know the one you are talking about), and I'll let you know later. What are you mini's names and which one is due when? Have you posted any pics of them yet?

Diana Gilger
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never even thought of that! (duh) I have several minis...
Dynamite & Chips are my stallions.
Candy is the old girl who I've been asking about.
Onyx is due first of April
Mika is a 3 year old to breed this year
Misty is due Feb 22 ish
Freckles is due March 15
I haven't posted on here any pics, but here is my website address http://www.mysticrockminis.com
About that "pooch"...when I touched it on the one old girl who got kicked, she acted very tender about it, and bit the crap out of me....this is unlike her....it shouldn't be sensitive should it? Maybe she's just sore or something, but that's been a while since she was kicked.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love your website. I guess I had your dates wrong. I had one due 2/27 one 3/1, and one 3/25. So when is Candy due? Where was it she got kicked?

Diana Gilger
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she was/is due March 15, now I have no idea what's going on. Her pooch is very full (in front of the udder) and sensitive and HOT. She seems to be running a fever and is noticeable irritable, she's trying to bite for no reason, and doesn't want to be touched. I am going to see if the vet can see her again tomorrow. She got kicked by a mare 5 inches taller than her, one foot to the flank area, and one to the tail...she actually got 2 full blown both feet kicks...and the bad part was that she was in between the kicker and the fence, so she was thrown up against the fence pretty hard both times. She had a cut right next to her vulva that was bleeding pretty bad, and had hematoma tissue coming out of her vulva (it looked like red bag to me, nasty.) The vet said it was just bruised tissue, and it has gone down. He also said she had large hematoma on her cervix (that was a hell of a kick!) She seemed to be normal between when that happened and the last day or so, now she's acting all strange on me. Her bag continues to fill....but the area in front of it is my concern...it has never been so large, and definitely never hot or irritable. Maybe I got my dates mixed up....not you? haha!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know that pooch might just be edema. Did you take her temperature? When was she bred? Let me know what the vet says.

Diana Gilger
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, i thought it might, it's pretty swollen. I didn't take her temp. I could physically feel how hot she was, it was obvious. She was bred April 15-22, annd typically goes 10 months 3 weeks like clockwork. Did you look at your mare? does she have the pooch? And is that all mares or just the bred ones? My one unbred mare does not have it....but she's never been bred and all the others have, so i have no basis for comparison. If she seems better in the morning, I'll probably just keep an eye on her. If she's still feverish and pissy, I'll take her in . I'll let you know.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't look at Mimi udder area, but I will tomorrow. I take a pic of her and post it tomorrow. She has never been bred. It's my big horse that is pregnant. I would take her temp tomorrow before you call the vet, he'll probally ask anyway.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my mares has this pooch and she is not pregnant, just fat! She has been bred before though so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Hers never got hot or sensitive either so I wonder if your mare has a mastitis.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana, Did you take her temp this morning? I don't know if this will help you but, here is a pic of Mimi's udder area. She is very hairy so its is hard to see, but I couldn't feel a pouch.[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010034-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010033-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010035-1.jpg[/IMG] Here is my mares udder area and she is 287 days prego today[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010037-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010036-1.jpg[/IMG]

Diana Gilger
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not take her temp, as we're in the middle of a move and that's one of the things that is packed up. She did not feel any different than any of the others though. (not at all like last night) She still seemed a tiny bit irritable, and I saw blood on the stall wall (couldn't tell where it came from) The vet can't see her until tomorrow. So, I'll take her in and we'll see.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with your vet appointment. I'm hoping that she's fine. It's never a bad idea to check to make sure.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US