SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare has NO OVARIES

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mare has NO OVARIES « Previous Next »

Amanda Fletcher
Neonate
Username: Amavar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just been told that me miniature mare has no ovaries and so will never get in foal. Can someone tell me more about this condition please. How rear or common is it. - Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be unlikely - unless she has had her ovaries removed - that she has no ovaries. She may however have a genetic imbalance that results in an error in the sex chromosome, resulting in very small inactive ovaries. You can confirm this by having a karyotype performed, which will evaluate the sex chromosome values.

A mare with this condition is often referred to as being an intersex mare.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 420
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In cows twins are undesirable if they are a brother sister pair because 99% of the time they are sterile or intersexed. Might see if she posibly had a twin brother that was sluffed late in the preg. I dont know if this is a trait that cows and horses share or not but it wouldnt hurt to ask.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freemartinism - which is what the condition Jenni refers to - does not occur in the equine.

Amanda Fletcher
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Spoke to the vet today and she does actually have very small ovaries but they are extremely small and juvenile. Will ask him about the Karyotype test. Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and an awesome 2008 - I live in New Zealand so we get to have Christmas first.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another point that I probably should have asked at the beginning - how old is the mare? Is it possible that she is simply not mature yet?

Amanda Fletcher
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi - this mare is now a four year old and the vet is quite certain if she was ever going to get mature she would be by now. Do you think I should wait another year or so before I give up on her? What age should I wait till.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Run a karyotype now and go from there...

Chris Taylor
Neonate
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a client's mare here to breed that has been scanned by 2 differet vets and neither vet could locate any ovaries at all. She is an 18 yr maiden crossbred recently given to my client so her medical history is unknown. My vet even used a wand which he uses for scanning minis to get deeper in there. This mare still cycles and when she is in oestrus, she's red hot & easy to breed. Has just returned here to be bred again. A freak of nature perhaps?

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son has a mare that was spade as a young mare. She is now 18 yo. She seems to come in heat a few times thru out the summer. Will even let the gelding mount her. Strange a spade mare and a gelding doing the dirty deed. Very funny.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This mare still cycles and when she is in oestrus, she's red hot & easy to breed. Has just returned here to be bred again.

Define "cycle". Is the mare being blood-tested and demonstrating elevated (>1 ng/ml) progesterone levels for a portion of time, followed by another period of reduced (<1 ng/ml) progesterone levels? Or are they merely relying on behavioural response to indicate "cycles"?

Remember that mares that have no ovaries are not producing progesterone (as they are not ovulating, and are therefore not producing a CL, which in turn produces progesterone). As it is progesterone that causes a mare to ACTIVELY resist a stallion's advances, she may be moderately resistant and receptive as a result of behavioural responses, and other minor hormonal secretions. It's sort of the same as having a mare in winter anestrus - such a mare will have a "ho-hum" attitude toward a stallion, but when the mare is cycling and in diestrus and is presented to the stallion - look out!

Presuming that the mare has not had her ovaries removed for some reason, another possibility is that she is an intersex mare, which can be confirmed by performing a karyotype of the mare (follow that link for more information). If this is the case, then breeding the mare is not likely to be successful!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US