SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Twin foal questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Twin foal questions « Previous Next »

Zoe Urquhart
Nursing Foal
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious about twin foals, I would like to know if twin foals (colt and filly) could be bred with? are they like twin bull and heifer calves and not able to breed?
Also if you have twin filly foals are the chances of them having twins higher than average?
Would the chances of the dam of the twins having twins again be really high or just the same as any other mare?

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea, all of our twins are put to sleep.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freemartinism - which is what you are talking about in the bovine twin situation - does not occur in the equine. Hence the equine twins will be fertile assuming all other factors are OK.

Twinning is hereditary, so there may be a higher incidence of twins in certain family lines.

Twinning is more likely to be seen in barren mares than in post-foaling mares, so individual status plays a part as well.

Zoe Urquhart
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your reply Jos, I have often wondered if twinning in equines was like twinning in cattle.
A lady I talk to has bought a twin filly with the intention of breeding with her, I wasn`t sure if this would be a good idea, this will be her first breeding mare/potential foal.
Would you advise against buying her to breed from?

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, let us know when you plan to get rid of babies, so that one of us can adopt them.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in the least would I advise against it assuming that the animal in question has all other suitable attributes!

Consider this:
  • The average single-cycle pregnancy rate for a single-ovulating mare is 58%;
  • The average single-cycle pregnancy rate for a double-ovulating mare is 87%;
  • The average recorded success rate for reduction from a twin to singleton pregnancy if correctly managed is 97%.
That means that a correctly-managed double-ovulating mare - even if every breeding resulted in twins - would have about an 84% single-cycle singleton pregnancy rate.

Which would you rather have in your broodmares? An 84% single-cycle pregnancy rate or a 58% single-cycle pregnancy rate?

Seems like a no-brainer to me! :-)

Zoe Urquhart
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I agree totally with you Jos, I don`t like mouthing off to people when I don`t really know what I`m talking about though.
I have a friend who has live twin foals from this year and they have taken every measure to ensure she is now pregnant with one foal for next year.
I had a mare cast twins 8 weeks prem and I broke her and sold her as a riding horse. I felt I had enough mares to save her going through endless trauma, she was a bit nervy anyway. She has a fantastic ridden career now though.

Zoe Urquhart
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to add that we did not know she was carrying twins!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't keep them long enough for adoption. Twins are not a viable option. Raising a foal depletes a mare physically, much less raising 2 so it is in our best interest to put them down and carry on. Thank god I have only had twins when I bought a mare already in foal out of a sale, my vet is good she misses nothing, much less another vesicle!

Anna Limmer
Neonate
Username: Delta

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I have a mare that is 295 days pregnant with twins, it was unfortunately missed until the second scan at 65 days (so was too dangerous to do anything at that time). She was scanned 2 weeks ago and both foals had heartbeats and were moving around (can still see movement now as well).

Now she has started bagging up (she is due to be sent away to foal so she can be under 24hr supervision), she is not showing other signs as in loose private partor back end, but I am very worried about her, what would you do send her away early? How viable will foals be born after 300 days - really want to try and hold onto them, but don't think there is anything that can be done in that respect is there (medication)?

Thanks for your advice.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3657
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares can bag up in advance of 6 wks of foaling, however, with her carrying twins, I'd definitely feel a sense of urgency about this. I don't know if there are medications that can help her hold on longer with twins, but I know they often come early! As far as viability, if it's a full size mare *(not a mini) I'd certainly want her to hold them till at least 320, longer if possible with twins. But, I can honestly say, that if this were MY mare, I'd be rather interested in getting her to wherever she needs to go very soon. I wouldn't take a chance on her foaling out at home at all! Her chances of pulling this off with a happy ending are already pretty slim, I'd want her to have every advantage possible. Maybe you can get the vets opinion that is going to have her under surveillance?

Anna Limmer
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I am taking her over this weekend. I am in constant contact with the vet and update him with any progress. We take daily photos of her & her udder as well to ensure that we will see any changes.

She got a bit upset the other day when I moved some horses around the property and her udder went back down to normal as she was running around, but has come back in the last 2 days, she is not moving round as much now. At the moment she is checked 3x per day and also throughtout the evening.

She is a 16hh TB mare (maiden also). We are preparing for the worst - with the vet on standby as soon as she goes into labour (along with plasma and colustrum just in case), not long till 320 days - just hope she can hold on (340 days would be even better), also complicated with her being a maiden have no idea what her pattern would be normally! Fingers crossed.

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock
Username: Bhindes

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish you luck. Hope all goes well. Keep us updated on her progress.

Pam Romjue
Nursing Foal
Username: Pammy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Luck Anna!!! There was a Shire mare around here that hand twins - she carried to about 330 days and both fillies came out perfect! Strange I know, but just wanted to let you know it is possible! Like Brittany said please keep us posted!

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock
Username: 3_horses

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anna, how is your mare that is pregnant with twin foals?

Anna Limmer
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

She is still holding (311 days today) woohoo!! She bagged up and waxed at 297 days and we thought she was gonna go, so moved her to foal down at the hospital and put her on a natural pain/anti flam and she has settled back down now, so hoping she will keep holding on (vet seemed to think they may have been sitting uncomfortably so that's why she got ready for birth), but it is so hard to know?

She is happy in herself so just have to cross fingers that she will hold for as long as possible. She doesn't even look very big compared to some other mares that are close to foaling, esp considering she has two in there! I know it sounds mean but they also keep moving her around to different paddocks as well so she can't get her foaling down spot sorted to aid in possibly getting her to hold on. Everything is all set to go however with a box etc ready once they are born.

Pam Romjue
Weanling
Username: Pammy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad she is doing good! Not much longer to go Please keep us posted!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US