SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos, or anyone that can help with a Thyroid question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Jos, or anyone that can help with a Thyroid question « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has not been able to get pregnant all season. So we had a blood test done to check her Thyroid. These are the results:

Total Thyroxine(TT4) 17
normal range is (7-27)
Units are nmol/L

Total Triiodothyronine (TT3) 1.0
normal range is (0.7-2.5)
Units are nmol/L

Free T4 by dialysis 36
normal range is (8-39)
units are nmol/L

Free Triiodothyronine (FT3) 1.1 L
normal range is (1.7-5.2)
units are nmol/L

The endocrinology interpretation is Thyroid hormone concentrations are normal to low borderline. Overall, these results are not indicative of thyroid disfunction.

My question is, with the Free Triiodothyronine (FT3) being low, would this cause her to have problems with her getting pregnant?

My vet will not be back until next week and won't be able to go over this with us until then. So I thought I'd post this and see if anyone has any input. I would love it if this could be the reason she couldn't get pregnant.

Thanks a bunch for any help, it is very much appreciated.
Marilyn

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Low thyroid" was a "disease du jour" about 10 years ago for just about anything that didn't get pregnant. "Check thyroid levels" and "put her on thyro-L" were the associated cries that went up...

It's now evidently clear that although there are "low thyroid" level mares, and although low levels may be associated with reduced pregnancy rates, the cause is nowhere near as common as was once voiced.

I'd look carefully at other areas before getting agitated over thyroid levels...

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thank you for your advise.I guess I'd better explain my situation a little further because I believe if you had more info on what we had done it may change your thinking, who knows.

We had a uterian culture, biopsy and cytology test done and found she had Strep Zoo. We medicated for that, redone the culture and she is clean.

We took her off of our fescue pasture and is now on a mostly dry lot. We had her on Regumate two weeks prior to her last breeding, put her on "Settle" and did Oxytocin protocol the past two breedings. We bred her Ai with "fresh semen" the last two breedings and still no pregnancy. She is an 8 year old Throughbred.

I was told to check her thyroid to make sure that's not an issue. The test came back with the results I mentioned above.

With all we did thus far and all the tests we ran, I was thinking this may be what is causing her pregnancy issues. Do you think she has a low thyroid problem and would it hurt her to put her on thyroid meds and see if that's what is causing her not to get preggo?

Thanks again for taking the time and considering a solution for my problem mare.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same stallion?
Identified ovulations?
Check for fluid (even though performing oxytocin protocol)?
Full oxytocin protocol? For how many days? When relative to breeding/ovulation?
Reproductive conformation? Caslick's procedure?

That's just a selection of a few things that should be considered.

Chances are that use of Thyro-L won't hurt anything but your pocketbook, but it may not help getting the mare pregnant either if one of the other items is an issue.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same stallion - yes, my other mare got pregnant with the same stallion this year
Identified ovulations - yes
Checked for fluid - yes, none present
Full oxytocin - yes 3 days, 6 hours after ovulation, ect for 3 days

She has caslicks because of her confirmation. She was checked by three different vets and her inside confirmation is fine. Grade 1 for her biopsy.

(Message edited by Marilyn_l on September 28, 2007)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would change stallions. Stallion incompatability is a possibility. You should also start using your oxytocin 4 hours after breeding - by 6 hours you can have a pretty significant reaction going on.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US