MAIN PAGE
EQUINE REPRODUCTION ARTICLES
SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page
 
Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board
 
Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
New Posts New Posts Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is this normal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Is this normal? « Previous Next »


Author Message
 

Kim E
Neonate
Username: Lildude2

Post Number: 6
Registered: 08-2007
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a maiden mare that was bred on the 5th, 6th and 7th of this month. She was due to get scanned on the 6th Oct. She started flirting with the stallion again on the 22nd Sept and was bred. We tried to breed her again on the 23rd but she wasn't interested. She is not showing any signs of heat and is paddocked next to the stallion at the moment.
What is going on with her? Could she be pregnant? If so Why would she stand for the stallion? If not, Why did she only stand for the stallion once this time? We are now wondering if we ned to get her scanned on the 6th Oct as planned or do we wait and see what she is doing?

Any help appreciated!
 

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1568
Registered: 10-1999
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one day of estrus was in fact on schedule - approx. 14 days after the last day of prior standing "heat". That she "stood" only a single day may not be indicative of anything - sometimes you can see differences in responses from cycle to cycle. The fact that she was bred was unfortunate, as if she was pregnant, breeding her may cause pregnancy loss - that is why it is generally recommended to perform ultrasound at 14-15 days after ovulation (which would be before the mare needs to be bred again if she is not pregnant). Waiting a month to have her scanned - as you indicated was what you were doing - opens the door for that problem, and also increases the risk of not getting a twin pinched off successfully in the event that there are twins. If you are routinely not scanning for a pregnancy check until 30 days after breeding I would strongly suggest that you change your policy.

All you can do now is scan and hope for the best. I would scan immediately. I would add that about 10% of pregnant mares show estrus ("heat") which makes it even more important to scan prior to 30 days...
 

Kim E
Neonate
Username: Lildude2

Post Number: 7
Registered: 08-2007
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos.

I spoke to my vet and he will scan her this week. I should add at this point that she is a mini mare and the vets here don't like to scan them at all, let alone at 15 days. The stud she is at isn't too happy that I have requested an immediate scan. She was actually bred twice on the 22nd apparently.

Thanks for the info, next time I choose a stud to send my mare to, I will make sure they scan at 15 days.
 

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 702
Registered: 04-2006
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I hope that all is well with your mare. Keep us posted. Thanks, jan
 

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 211
Registered: 06-2007
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with the ultrasound Kim. I know how anxious you must be. I pray she is pregnant and doing well.
Marilyn
 

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1570
Registered: 10-1999
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early pregnancies in the miniature horse are about the same size as for a full-sized horse. We routinely freeze semen for a major miniature horse breeding farm, and I have seen them successfully scan a lot of mares for pregnancy at 14 days.
 

Kim E
Neonate
Username: Lildude2

Post Number: 8
Registered: 08-2007
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos - I so wish I lived in the US, it would make it so much easier :-)

Well this is turning into a saga and at this point I am tempted to go and get her and bring her home.

The stud cancelled the scan I had booked and re-booked the scan for the 6th of Oct.

They then emailed me again today (30th) and said that she had come back into season and had been served again twice even though I asked them not to serve her again until she had been scanned. They have again cancelled the scan for the 6th Oct and have made it for the 20th Oct now.

This really doesn't sound right as she was apparently in heat and served on the 5th, 6th & 7th of Sept, then again on the 22nd Sept (only time she stood for the stallion) and is now back in heat and served twice again on the 30th Sept, 8 days after the last time.

What is the best thing for me to do at this point? If I voluntarily take her home and it turns out she is not in foal, will I lose my LFG? On the other hand, if I leave her there and this keeps happening, then I will end up without a foal anyway. What is best for the mare?



Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service
 

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US