SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Things are starting to happen

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Things are starting to happen « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the e-mail I got from Cheri (my breeder friend) about my two mares. Sounds like things are progressing.

Marq: Raging heat Sat, Sun and Today. Settle on Sat. Bred fresh today. Tone and edema good. Palpated and had a 45 and given HCG today. Recheck Wed and flush.

Dora: Starting today. Normal off of Prostin on Thursday. 25 and 20 only today. Given Settle. Recheck Wed. Heat was passive today so is starting in.

Yes. We were going to collect last night. Postponed because of light rain…..WOW!!! We have had 3.5 inches as of noon today. You have had more, eh?

C

Okay, now it's me talking... I'm hoping since I'm not asking questions, that it's okay to give you updates. If I'm not really supposed to do this on here, please feel free to tell me so. I don't want to do things wrong on here and make people mad at me.

Thanks, Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 608
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,

Thanks for the new thread :-) Sounds exactly like the progress my mare had last year when she did "Settle" :-) Very exciting! Will she check via u/s to see if she ovulated?

Come on little soldiers we need one good "man" to do the job here!

Doing the fertility dance, everything crossed for you!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, so tell us, is it a boy or a girl? I've been thinking of you all weekend.

You crack me up Jan! Yes, the vet will U.S. on Wednesday. I'm getting excited, it sounds very promising!

(Message edited by Marilyn_l on August 20, 2007)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni,

I too am excited to hear about your pregnancy!

Tracy Smith
Weanling
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything sounds really good Marilyn, fingers crossed!!

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-sounds promising!! You're in my prayers, as are your girls.

Jenni-I'm dying to know how you are doing, how your ultrasound went, and if you found out boy or girl; you've also been in my prayers....

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I'm joining the preg dancers and doing a special dance under the stars on a full moon. Fingers toes crossed!

Keep me posted, LB

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for all the dancing, crossing and praying. I need each and every one of them. I am so scared to get too excited. That crash and burn is no fun.

So here I go again, on that scary preggo roller coaster ride.

I'll keep you informed when I hear from Cheri.

Jenni, we're still waiting...
boy or girl? The suspense is killing me.

Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-I have your girls in my thoughts; we will all be waiting until you hear something.

Jenni-I'm starting to feel worried about you....I hope that you are ok. Please let us know how you are and that everything is ok. You are in my prayers.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Lisa. I didn't get this e-mail until this morning. Looks like all is going well. This is Cheri's e-mail.

Late day and late vet.

Marq ovulate right on time and flushed yesterday. Regumate starts today.

Dora HCG last night, bred to day - if we can collect between thunderstorms
and lightening!!

Last check I hope tomorrow and can flush Dora, can go home and pray over
them! Can send my fertility god with you.

C

Me talking now, I guess we're picking them up this weekend. I hope it cools off somewhat for the long trip. I think we need to make a very early start, so we can travel during the cooler part of the day and less traffic. I think Sunday looks to be the better of the two days for traveling. It's supposed to storm early Saturday morning.

Thank you to everyone, for your support and prayers, I can't tell you how much I cherish your friendship!

Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-sounds like things are going well; I will have them in my prayers and I have fingers and toes crossed that they will take this time around. Good luck with the pick up and trip home, I am sure that all will go smoothly for ya'll!! I know that you will keep us posted as to thier outcomes and progress.....:-)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn,

Sounds really good! Everthing crossed, prayers, and dancing for you! Sounds like you have thoughtfully thought of everything. I will be anxiously awaiting your post....when will you ultrasound to see if they took?

Hugs, Jan

Tracy Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Marilyn, everything sounds textbook! Let us know.

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MY body parts are crossed for ya!
Keep us posted....Take care, LB

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again all!

This is going to be a very long 16 or so days. If I'm thinking correctly. Marq should have her ultrasound on Sept. 6th. I don't know about Dora, since I don't believe she's ovulated yet. I hope she ovulates by tomorrow.

Mike wants to keep the girls over by the breeders until they get their ultrasound. I just as soon bring them home. I think Mike wants to breed them again if they don't get preggo. But I think it would be a waste of time and money. Also hard on the mares. Hopefully, we can try again next year, if need be.

Oops, got to get that positive thinking mode back. They are pregnant, they are pregnant, they are pregnant... lol

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-sending you preggers vibes and (((huggles)))!! I would leave them at the breeder until they get thier checks too; just easier all around IMHO.

On another note....has anyone heard anything from Jenni about her pregnancy and all? I'm worried that something may have been wrong....

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got a call from Cheri. Dora just ovulated and both girls had text book breeding. Everything went perfectly. Both were bred with fresh semen using artificial insemination and both had "Settle" and we're flushed after ovulating. Both will be on Regumate until the ultrasound.

We will be bringing them home Sunday. I hope they have a non stressful trip home.

We have a guy from the extension office coming to our place today to check out our pasture to make sure we don't have a fescue problem.

Not sure what else we can do at this point, to give the mares every opportunity to have a good environment and best chance for pregnancy.

Now to wait the very long, 15 or 16 days to have them ultrasounded.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and I hope there will be some foals born this weekend. Good luck for all whose still waiting!

Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,

So glad all went well. I am so excited and nervous for you! We just have to get through the next 2 weeks. Although it sounds like you will be busy getting things together. Hope the trip home is uneventful. I will be thinking of you often and praying and hoping.....hugs, jan

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, now the nail chewing starts..at least until the US. I sure hope it works this time around! You give me strength
take care,
LB

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all! I am excited and nervous at the same time. I hope it works this time. I want to be on the 2008 foal watch thread soooo bad!!!!

I'm hoping that Jenni's pregnancy is going well. We haven't heard a word and like Lisa said, I'm very concerned. Maybe she's just busy and didn't have a chance to get back to let us know how her ultrasound went. I pray things are well with you Jenni.

Before I forget, we do have fescue in our pasture. I don't know if it's infected or not, but I'm not taking any chances. We'll be keeping our mares in the dry lot by the barn until I find out if they're preggo or not. The guy from the extension office took some samples with him to test.

Marilyn

(Message edited by marilyn_l on August 25, 2007)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 397
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok sorry everyone I didnt get on lately. I have been moving all week. I went to the DR. and the sonogram tech was sick so they resceduled me for the 6th. Ill let you no then. Thanks for your thoughts. I hope your mares are all PREGO

Laurie A Beltran
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
That's one less worry for you, having your pasture checked! Now lets just relax, put your feet up and wait....You will be hearing great news and I would love for you to be on the same 2008 foal watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care, LB

When I get back I will research your Stallions Pedigree :-)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 629
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni,

Sorry to hear that you have to wait! At least you do know your Pregnant :-) Prayers are with you and let us know on the 6th! Hugs, Jan

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got back yesterday late afternoon. The mares traveled well. No problems. We let them out of the trailer and put them in the semi/dry lot and boy did they run, jump, rear and snort. They had a ball. I think they were glad to be home.

While we were there Cheri told us they had a tornado at their place on Friday. So much for calm...LOL! Dora fell in love with a spotted pony and had slight separation anxiety. Cheri thought we might have to give her a mild sedative, but turned out she went right in the trailer and forgot all about her spotted friend. It was like, "let's go".

I saw the stallion we used for our breeding. He is breathtaking. He has such a kind eye. He's has this Arabian looking head. Typey. Unusual for a Holsteiner. I saw four of his 2007 babies. Sooo cute, I wanted to take them home with me. If I had the money, I would have. I guess I'll stick to the original plan, and make our own. So far, I'm not so good at it.

I have to wait until September 14th for the ultrasound for both girls. Cheri said she wants us to wait for 20 or so days, so we will know without a shadow of a doubt, if they're pregnant or not. She said she didn't want to have a 16 day ultrasound and the vet miss the pregnancy and take them off Regumate.

They are both on Regumate right now, so that's not a problem. We will check progestrone when we do the ultrasound. Cheri said that twins does not concern her that much, because there were no other follicles in sight.

We got home and I had to get my mowing done. With all the rain we had recently, it could have been baled. (Not really)

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up on what is going on here, like I said I would.

P.S. When can I do the nail test?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn-Thanks for the update. glad that all went well and the girls are home safe and sound. I don't know if there is a time to wait for the nail test? Does any body out there know....What the heck go ahead and try...:-)

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
Glad your all back safe and sound.....LB

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The weirdest thing is happening with Marq. Keep in mind she was bred on August 20th and ovulated August 21st.

Marq is squealing at the fence at the gelding we’ve used to tease our mares with in the past. The gelding on the other side of the fence, is in his mode of protecting the mares on his side, so he rushes the fence with teeth barred at our mares. Marq will squeal and will turn her butt to him, like she’s in season. Mike saw her do this, I haven’t, so I can’t tell you exactly how her behavior is, Mike just said she acts like she’s in season with the gelding around.

I know this time of year is transitional, but she’s on Regumate, so she can’t be going back into season. It’s just really weird. What’s your take on her doing this? Is she being submissive to him or what???

Just for shits and giggles, I did the nail test on Marq last night, it said she wasn't preggo. It says Dora is preggo. So we'll see.

Thanks, Marilyn

(Message edited by Marilyn_l on August 28, 2007)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...I guess we will have to see if the nail test is right? At this point the dream would be to have both mares pregnant but I am sure you would take even one pregnant....still crossing everything that they both are. I know sometimes a mare will act in season when she is indeed pregnant....

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right Jan. I would be extremely happy if only one got pregnant.

Marq never acted this way after being bred before. Too weird.

Tracy Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Marq is squealing at the gelding and acting differently because she IS pregnant?! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm... Tracy, you might be on to something.

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-so glad that all went well and like Jan I have all my appendages crossed that both are prego!! I am anxious to see if the nail test is correct and hoping that it was just wrong for Marq. I agree with Tracy too; maybe she is different b/c she is preg. Yay for being home!!

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn????? What's the word?? Today is the day right? I've said my prayers and done my crossing and dances for ya girl!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the delay. I'm filling in for a girl at work, so I haven't much time to write.

Well, not the best news. Marq is not pregnant. And Dora is pregnant with twins. Dora is 21 days and the babies are too close together to do any squishing. So the vet said to ultrasound in 7 days and see if one will die off on its own.

He said one looks kinda iffy right now and does not look good, so he feels theres a chance one will not make it. It's that old wait and see thing. I will know more next week when we check for more growth.

The breeder said don't worry about twinning, there wasn't any other follicle close to ovulating. She suggested waiting for the 21 days so a vet couldn't miss a pregnancy and take them off Regumate. I wish I could go back and do it again, but I can't.

This is so upsetting, I just can't tell you how badly I'm feeling right now. I'm praying one goes away.

Thanks everyone for caring. I'll keep you posted.

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M-my mare that had a baby this spring had twins at the 16 day u/s. Same boat, couldn't pinch so it was wait and see.....one died off and all was well. So it does happen. I'm happy that Dora is at least pregnant and so there is hope for a baby next spring; if she wasn't pregnant then there'd be NO hope right? Sorry about Marq-maybe next year? (How's your hubby taking the news....hope he's not being mean about it all) She will be in my prayers for one healthy fetus at her next check. Thanks for taking the time to update too :-)

(Message edited by lisa98 on September 14, 2007)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn....HUGS....Let's concentrate on Dora....Is the vet sure it was not a cyst? I know that my mare has cysts and the can mimick an early pregnancy espcially when the baby is close to them. When that happened with my mare the next ultrasound you could clearly see the embryo and heart flicker and the cyst look much smaller and nothing there. But at the first ultrasound they looked the same the cyst and the pregnancy. So I am going to remain optimistic on Dora. You are in my prayers.

Tracy Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us updated.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read somewhere that if the pregnancy is 20+ days, that the twin dying naturally is greatly reduced. Has anyone heard this or experienced this before?

Dora has bilaterally fixed twins, but too close to manipulate, according to the vet.

The breeder will call us tonight, so we'll see what she has to say. I e-mailed her the ultrasound pictures. She wants us to drive the mare to Michigan and have her vet take care of it. (She has great trust in him to do the crushing) I think it would be too much stress on the mare to travel 4 hours there and 4 hours back.

What are your opinions?

(Message edited by marilyn_l on September 14, 2007)

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn
I guess this isn't the way we picture things happening in our lives and to our loved ones! I know that you and Mike love those horses and wanting a baby was exactly what you wanted for your mares, having twins so close together is just a wrench thrown in the pot! Marilyn lets think good thoughts!! That one weak vescle(sp)will not survive! She will show you! Nature is AWESOME! things will work out the way there suppose to!
All my prayers and thoughts are with you and Mike!

Jane
Weanling
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have been watching this thread for news, so sorry to hear Marq didn't take. Fingers crossed for Dora.
You know your own mare, whether travelling would stress her too much? I would guess you wouldn't bring her straight home after the other vet has done his bit?
Poor you, what a worry and I do know what it feels like

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just going to hang in there and like Laurie said, let nature take it's course. I'm hoping she will kick that old twin out and make the other twin strong.

It is encouraging to hear it worked out well for you Lisa. How soon after the 16 day ultrasound, did you do the next ultrasound? I'm just wondering since it's been 21 days and it's still there, if it's more likely for the twin to stick around. I would have thought, if the twin were to be killed, it would have done it by now.

Jan, I doubt it's a cyst. It looks very much like a little something is in both vesicles. But I am no expert, that's for sure!

Thanks everyone!!!! You all are truly my blessing and strength.

(Message edited by marilyn_l on September 15, 2007)

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you are ours.......LB

Marilyn, not to reopen things but I was kinda stunned when I re-read a thread posted by you before the last US. You did a string test? and it told you Marq was not pregnant and Dora was!????
Spooky! Maybe I'll go do the test on Spring (My 21 year young pregnant mare)

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn - Iana was at the vet's so I don't remember exactly how it went for us. I know it seemed like ages before they knew for sure that the "extra" twin was gone. She was there for 40 days post-breeding. I think that it was something like 25 days past the 16 day check....I can call the vet for exact dates if you would like. I think that since they discovered it at the 20 day check and it looked bad that is a good sign. At Iana's 16 day check the twins looked ok but one was a tad smaller....so if they had checked her at 20 days I bet it would have looked much smaller and weaker like yours does. You are in my prayers-I know exactly what this waiting feels like. I think that there may be some other options if it doesn't die off on it's own; maybe Jos knows what else you can do if it doesn't??

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa, thanks for the info. That won't be necessary to call your vet. Thanks for the offer though.

I found out that the pregnancy Dora has is a bilateral pregnancy, which means one on each side. According to my research, this type of pregnancy nature will not discard one twin. She will keep both twins. This type of twin pregnancy is not common and it only happens in 30% of twin pregnancies. And with her's being so close together, makes it extremely difficult to pinch off. The vet who did the ultrasound does not want to pinch it off. He said 75% will die off naturally. But according to what I read, this is only true if the twins are located in the same horn.

I showed the breeder the ultrasound pictures and she said that it's too hard to make out, since the ultrasound is not very good. So she can't tell weither or not one twin looks worse than the other. The vet did not take demensions because he couldn't get a good view. So he can't tell if one is smaller than the other. I don't know what he saw that made him think one twin wasn't up to snuff.

We called another vet who has a much better ultrasound machine and is very good at doing ultrasounds. But presently he's out of town and won't be back until tomorrow. He normally won't travel to our location because of the distance, but we're going to pled with him and possibly he'll come out. Maybe there's a chance he may pinch on off, who knows.

If he won't do it, then our only alternative is to take Dora back to Michigan and have the vet who inseminated her, pinch it off. He thinks he can do it. But that could cause Dora much stess and I hate to do that to her and the pregnancy. But, if it meant we would have to terminate the whole pregnancy if we didn't do this, then this would make sense. One last ditch effort, so to speak.

What do you girls think of this plan? Does this make sense to all of you? I don't have much more time before the endo. cups form, so it has to be done this week.

I know this is lengthy and I appologize for that, but this really helps me cope and I would love to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks for being there for me!!!!
Marilyn

(Message edited by marilyn_l on September 17, 2007)

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-I think that you have made an excellent plan. You are running on borrowed time so I think you are right to do it now and fast. Like you said trying to pinch one is better than terminating the entire pregnancy without trying to pinch as with this you still have a chance to come out of it pregnant with only one fetus. I have been praying for you, and will continue to do so. I can only imagine how stressed you are right now. Try to be gentle with yourself right now and I hope that this will all turn out allright in the end.

Kimberly Peavy
Neonate
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: I am so sorry to hear of your sad news. Sounds like you have a good plan though. I'm sure things will work out the way they are meant to....everything happens for a reason...we just don't always understand at the moment what that reason is. Hopefully, mother nature will take care of this on it's own for your sake and your wonderful mare's sake. You are in my thoughts and prayers...Kim

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, What a difficult situation and may I say you are handling it with class. My prayers have been with you from the beginning. It sounds like you have a very well thought out plan. I hope that upon ultrasound something definite has happened, either the weak fetus has deteriorated or that somewho the space is adequatefor pinching. I would have a vet pinch if both twins are viable because the chance of her carrying twins to survive are very very slim. Big HUGS and worrying along with you. Hopefully your husband is giving you the support you need right now. Keep us updated please.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: I was able to get one of my vets to come out today to do another ultrasound at 1:00 pm. I will let you know what he finds. Please cross fingers and say a quick prayer for Dora. Thank you so much!!!! Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhh-it's almost 1....I'm saying a prayer and crossing my fingers........so nervous for ya'll!!!!

Tracy Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, lots of prayers your way!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dora has twins for sure. It's the same info as the other vet gave us regarding the one not looking as good as the other. He said to wait a couple of weeks and see if it grows.

This vet said he doesn't have enough experience crushing a fesicle this old, so he didn't do it either.

Mike and I will have to talk about our options tonight. This really stinks! Mike is being really good about this whole thing. He wants this baby really bad also. Mike wasn't there, so he didn't get a chance to see the ultrasound in person. He'll have to be alright with just seeing the pictures and make a decision from there.

Marilyn

Jane
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Marilyn, I so feel for you.
I wouldn't know what to do either but my warmblood earlier this year carried twins (unbeknown to us as I bought her in foal)and we lost them both at 9 months gestation.I was devastated, it was truly one of the worst days of my life and I wouldn't want anyone to go through what we did.
((((((((((hugs))))))))))) and positive vibes coming your way.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best way to get twins who are close is to starve the mare. The strongest will survive. When I mean starve I mean starve. Keep the mare in a stall with lots of fresh water and one flake of grass hay a day. In a few weeks ultrasound. This has always worked for me.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, I've heard of this also, I can't remember where. The vet that was out today said "the twins are not close together. One on each horn. With the twins not being close Cathy, would you still think this is the right move?

Mike just now got done talking to the vet that just came out. The vet is going to do research in the next couple of days and contact his university people, e-mail the ultrasound pictures and if the majority says to crush, he'll come out and crush.

This is like a continuing saga of "As Marilyn's world turns" (upside down) LOL!!! You know, like the old soap operas. (for those of you too young to remember). LOL!

Opps, almost forgot. The vet drew some blood from Marq to see if she has a low Thyroid. Just trying to think of anything that could keep her from getting preggo.

Thanks to all of you for everything!
You girls are great!!!
Marilyn

Tracy Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, so frustruating! First not pregnant and now 2 pregnant, literally!!
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try what Cathy suggested, at least you may feel like you're doing something
Keep us posted.

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn (((hugs)))

I'm so sorry that you're going through this....

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the twins are not close I would pinch.

Deborah Bills
Yearling
Username: Jinty123

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I havent had any experience in this kind of thing, but have been following your story. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well whatever you decide. Hugs and good vibes coming your way. Oh and some prayers. Deb.

(Message edited by jinty123 on September 18, 2007)

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, girls, I may have figured out some good out of all of this. Dora's larger fesicle is the one that is underdeveloped and is softer than the smaller fesicle. The smaller fesicle has good development and is not as soft feeling as the larger one. I'm not sure if the soft feeling is relevant or not.

What I'm thinking is, if I would have pinched at 16 days, the larger one would have been left alone and the smaller one would have been pinched. Which means the good one would have been hasta la bye bye and left with the bad one. Unless the fesicles grow at different rates at different times, then this senario would not apply.

You girls have mentioned things always happen for a reason. This may be the reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a person should not ultrasound at 16 days, I'm just saying in my case, this may have been a blessing. I have learned my lesson, I will always ultrasound at 15 or 16 days no matter what.

Still in the game for that 2008 foal watch thread.
Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, What a roller coaster ride! I am continuing to pray for you and Dora. I really want this to work out for you! I would try what Cathy Cook says to try. It certainly can't hurt while you wait for the vets to come up with what is best. Remain focused on the goal....hang in there. Jan

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-good thoughts heading your way. If you do try what Cathy says (starving) then make sure when you're done starving Dora that you re-introduce feed very slowly.....but I think at this point I'd try it; I don't think it can hurt really.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would concern me about with starving Dora is, she is a Throughbred and they lose weight fast, and with winter just around the corner, I don't want to compremise her condition. When we first got her it took me many many months to put sufficient weight on her.

We've already dropped in the 30's in the morning.

(Message edited by Marilyn_l on September 18, 2007)

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, the word you are trying to use is vesicle! I have thoroughbreds too and starve them just about 30 to 40 days so it does not take a huge amount of weight off, just gets rid of a foal. If they are seperate why not pinch one? By the way it is easier on the mare if you do pinch at 16 to 18 days also it increases your chances of retaining the remaining pregnancy.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what we are intending on doing. I'm hoping by tomorrow or the next day, it will be gone.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn...we are all hoping and praying for success for you all of us.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh with the proper pincher it will be gone when pinched. My vet makes them pop! We always follow pinching with Regumate and banamine.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They pop huh??? Poor thing... She's been on Regumate since she's been bred and the vet said she'll be on banamine for 3 days. Does that sound like the right amount of days to be on banamine?

Does it hurt the mare when it's popped. It kinda sounds like a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway.

(Message edited by Marilyn_l on September 18, 2007)

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-I don't think it really hurts them I do think it's uncomfortable for them though. The banamine is a pain reliever and anti-inflammation drug so that should help her with the uncomfortable-ness (is that even a word??)I'm so glad that you have a plan....(((hugs)))

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it does not hurt her it is just tough for a mare further along in their pregnancy to retain the one left.

ann armstrong
Neonate
Username: Belladonna

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I have just stumbled upon this board, interesting I thought. I am very sorry, this will be my first and last post but I cannot believe my eyes. I sincerely hope that what I am reading IS a joke, a wind up?

You are recommending that someone actually STARVES a pregnant mare? One flake of hay a day for what? 30? THIRTY days? That is downright cruelty, I should jolly well think the mare would lose one foal, if not both. If I heard of anyone doing that I would be reporting them to the authorities.

In this day and age of veterinary science, to even talk about such Dickensian doings is laughable, except, the poor old mare you are starving won't be laughing will she? She will be suffering stomach cramps, developing ulcers and be severely stressed.

Downright cruelty, physical and mental.

GROW UP PEOPLE, BE RESPONSIBLE and stop talking such rubbish, YOU may, hopefully, have been joking, but who knows who read this forum wishing to garner advice and information, someone may think you are serious and actually starve a mare. THINK ON.

Good Bye, and Good Luck, I hope the Vet does manage to pinch the twin out.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann has some valid points. I would hate to see Dora suffer any more than she has already suffered in the past. Dora has some bad past injuries on her legs and feet.

I know after you read what I'm about to tell you, you're going to think I'm making all this stuff up. I'm sure you're thinking this stuff can't possibly happen to one person. In fact I wasn't going to post this, but after thinking about it, I decided I'd better because future postings might relate to this issue. So, I'm here to tell you, I'm not making this up. This is really happening to my mare and it really sucks!

Yesterday at feeding time, I noticed Dora was gimpy. I told Mike, “looks like Dora is lame”. He looked at it and at that time it wasn’t swollen, he didn’t notice any problems with her hoof. She was nerved when she was on the race circuit. Later on around 7:00 pm, I went to check on Dora and she was laying down and looked distressed. I got her up and she couldn’t put the least amount of pressure on her leg. We took her temp, it was 103.5. We hosed her down to bring down her temp.,and gave her banamene (sp?) and kept spraying cold water on her hurt, swollen leg. Her joint above the hoof was swollen. She still wasn’t able to put any pressure on it at all. Kept taking her temp, it went down to 102.5, then after 15 minutes or so it came down to 101.5. We went back to the house. I checked on her the next hour and she was back laying down flat out again. I called Mike at the house, he came down and we called the vet. He told us to give her some antibiotics that we had at the barn and give her more banamene at around 11:00 pm. We hosed her down again and she seemed to be better, less stressed. She kept nodging me, like saying, I’m feeling better, let me back in my stall.

Mike checked on her last night before going to bed, and she was up and her temp was 100.0. He gave her more banamene. She was putting some pressure on her leg. This morning her temp was 99.0 and looked much better. She was applying some pressure on the leg. The vet is coming out to take an x-ray of her leg this afternoon. He said since she was so stressed with temp, she may have badly injured her leg and would like to see inside to check her bone for possible fracture.

After saying all this, I don’t think it wise to bring Dora to Michigan. Who knows, after this bout of stress and elevated temp., she may have lost both pregnancies anyway. How probable is that? Haven’t heard from the vet who will probably do the squishing (if it’s still needed) as of yet, I’ll keep you informed on her progress.

Sucks rocks hey!!!!
Marilyn

(Message edited by Marilyn_l on September 19, 2007)

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Marilyn!!!!!!!! Poor, poor Dora! I am so sorry! I hope that the vet comes soon and tells you that she is fine; you're right all of this should NOT happen to one person. Sending you guys prayers and hugs.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike and I have been going back and forth regarding who should pinch the twin. Should we take Dora to the Michigan vet who has done these older pregnancy pinches before, or should we have the vet here do it, but he has no experience with pinching older fesicles.

So I prayed that God would make it very clear to us what we should do. I believe he wants us to do it here, because there is no way I'm taking her to Michigan now.

Moral of story: Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

We are bound to get good luck soon, so I would like to think the bad twin couldn't stand the heat and left and the strong one stayed. I'm trying hard to think positive.

Take care all, Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
That really does suck! Glad that Dora is feeling better. Hoping the vet gets there and finds nothing exciting going on with her leg. I would be very cautious about transporting her too. Perhaps the vet there is up to the challange. I will be praying for you and for Dora and the vet's keen eye and steady hands.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, first of all I want to say I am sooo sorry this is happening to you. AND, though Ann had some valid points, I feel she was a little to harsh and judgemental. No one knows someones life and experiences until they have walked in their shoes. She said she wasn't going to post again and I hope she doesn't. You can get your point and opinion across without being mean.
As for Dora, the fact that she had such a high fever indicates an infection of something, is there anyway she had even a small puncture wound by her joint that could of gotten infected? I had a mare that broke her bone down low by her cornet band and she didn't have any swelling or fever, just slightly lame.
Pregnancies can be resiliant, hopefully this was all you needed to get rid of the weak one and keep the strong one. I will continue to keep all my body parts crossed for you!! Hang in there and keep us posted.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right Tracy, Ann was too harsh and judgemental. I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions, but she could have presented her thoughts a little more elequently.

Tracy, you are a smart girl, she must have an infection. I thought she had the high temp. because of the pain. (Don't ask me how that had anything to do with it). LOL!!! I don't think I'm thinking properly right now, just reacting to my situations.

Thanks Jan, I appreciate your thoughts regarding transporting Dora right now. I think it's wise to stay close to home and not stress her out more than need be.

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I havent been on the board in a few days, My heart goes out to you! By the time this is all said and done, your going to one strong person with loads of expeience to give to others! My thought and prayers go out to you and your family of 4 legged critters.

Tawnya Reber
Yearling
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

marilyn.. so sorry that you are going thru all that.. god will make it right.. as far as ann.. well, when i read that about starving the mare, i too think it sounded harsh and cruel.. but im probably reading between the lines on it never having a horse foal one much less 2. anyhow.. good luck marilyn!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you have a mare with two foals on top of one another and pinching is impossible starving or complete abortion are your only options. When you are talking about mares who are in foal with a fetus worth several hundred thousand dollars you do not want to abort the whole thing so starvation is your only option. These are mares who all carry good weight so an amateur cannot even tell with the naked eye when going through the barn anyone is lacking in feed. In thoroughbreds lots of starvation occurs, I am in the process of starving a foal right now with epiphysitis.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, I completely understand that you are only starving as a last resort. You are in a big business, that a live foal is what makes you stay in business. I try not say I would "never" do something, because faced with a difficult situation, I would do what I had to do.

I am very impressed with how you handled this situation. You could have slammed her, but you took the high road. You explained your situation and your circumstances and why you do what you do. Kodos (sp?) to you!

Marilyn

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm blushing, thanks Marilyn! You do what you gotta do, you may not enjoy it but such is ife.

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-hope that all is going better today; did the vet come yesterday to check her leg? I hope that he can pinch off the extra twin, or that one is already gone when he ultrasounds her. You're still in my thoughts and prayers.

Cathy-I know where you come from and while starving does sound harsh it isn't. You were very judicious in not going ballistic; I'm not sure I could have been so stoic.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa, the vet came out yesterday. Dora has a very very very bad sprain. She will need to be hosed with cold water and bannemine, also have her leg wrapped for support. She has to be in the stall until the swelling goes down and then 1 week more of stall rest. She is able to put her weight on it now and is doing so much better! We are so lucky she didn't fracture it!

The vet from Michigan saw the most resent ultrasound pictures and said he thinks the other twin could be a cyst. I will know more tonight when the ultrasound vet comes out to do another ultrasound. We will see if there is any growth or more deteriation. He said he would consider pinching if need be.

Thanks for asking! I will post later tonight of the results of this ultrasound. Keep those fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks everyone!
Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I am so glad that Dora is on the mend. I really really hope it is a cyst. That would be the best....no pinching and a cyst with my mare did not interfere with her 3 pregnancies. Sending you hugs and positive thoughts and prayers. Jan

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news Marilyn on Dora's leg, at least no fracture. I also have a mare that actually has multiple uterine cysts and we cannot get her pregnant.(She's 22 now so we've given up) but there was no point in doing an early ultrasound because we couldn't tell the differance in an early pregnancy or one of her cysts. Hopefully that's all it is and like Jan stated, it shouldn't affect her pregnancy at all. Keeping fingers crossed!!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good news all the way around, think cyst! What are you doing her up in under the bandage? Maybe poultice would be of benefit, it would cool it and remove the swelling as does hosing. Is she on bute, dex or banamine?

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are using some blue liniment cooling ointment on her leg, under the bandage. He also said to use DMSO, but it seemed to cause her leg to swell up more and caused it to have more heat in that area. So we used it once and stopped.

We've been using banamine. But Mike said he hates to use banamine too much, so he's not using it unless he sees she's uncomfortable.

We found our ice boots, so we're going to use that tonight. That should really help a lot more than just hosing down with cold water.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ice is good but so is hosing, hosing increases circulation because of the showering effect. Of course ice cools better but it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DMSO doesn't work well for under bandages because it generates too much heat, it can actually burn their hair off. DMSO works well for things like splints where you can rub it in but not use a bandage. If the main reason for the bandage is compression and support, I would think using a poultice or nothing underneath would work well. I'm not a vet though! :-)

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL We are brutal we sweat them with DMSO! Often we mix DMSO with various things and sweat them, works pretty good but you have to use Rap Last!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cathy, if it doesn't burn them I say go for it!!!! I know you can also use DMSO for uterine flushes so it probably depends on the strength and if anything else is mixed with it. It really stinks though, literally! It's made me gag before LOL!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the vet ultrasounded Dora and she had two developing twins. Both grew a substantial amount since Monday. So the decision had to be made. We told him to squish the smallest, less developed one. He had a hard time squishing. I don't know if he just had a hard time grabbing it or if it was that hard to squish. Because his face was red and looked like he was working hard. It took a couple of minutes, he felt a swish feel and it was gone.

He went back in with the ultrasound and looked again and it was squished. The remaining one was still intact. So now we wait and see. We will ultrasound in 17 days or so. That would put the pregnancy at 45 days.

He gave her a shot of banamine and that was that. We have to give her banamine twice a day for 5 days. I'm relieved it's finally over and the decision was made. I'll tell you one thing, I will never ever ultrasound later than 16 days.

I don't know why, but I'm feeling a little down. I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel be better.

It's time for a shower and watch a little tv and I'm going to bed. What a day!

I'm so happy and thankful I have all you wonderful people to help me through these trying times and helping me make the best decision possible. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!

Marilyn

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have flushed many mares with DMSO. Get this one vet practice in my town actually flushed mares with kerosene! Yikes! Marilyn sounds like you had a productive day, hope you had a glass of wine and your tv was better than mine! No Grey's Anatomy tonight, boo hiss!

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn-I'm glad that it's over now and you will now just wait to see what will be in 17 days. I hope that both you and Dora feel better tomorrow. Like Cathy said I hope your TV time is going better than mine....I'm watching my Aggies get their tails beat by Miami-ugh!!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I am from Florida but I hate Miami, I'm a Nole!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I think it's probably normal to feel a little down after going thru everything you have in the last few days. Now the waiting begins again!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn....You deserve a little down time. Big hugs as we look positive for the next two weeks for Dora! I have a good feeling about that little foal she is carrying...It will be a long 2 weeks but we are here for you. Hugs, Jan

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the encouragement.

Dora's leg is considerably better today. Her swelling is down about 70%. So that's great news.
She seems a little down herself today, is that normal? There was a lot of proding going on back there last night so maybe she's a little sore. Banamine should take care of that.

Have a great day today girls and TGIF!!!!
Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Marilyn-just dropping by to see how you and Dora are doing. I hope Dora's leg is doing much better now. Thinking of ya'll (((hugs)))

Jane
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just caught up on this. Really hope Dora holds on to her foal and her leg continues to improve, (((((((hugs))))))) to you Marilyn

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there! Dora is doing better every day. I think she'll be able to go outside this Saturday. We're going to wrap her leg the first day because I think she's going to explode out of the stall and I'm afraid she'll reinjure it.

Marq is not a happy camper either. We have her in the stall also because we let her out of the stall and I thought Dora was going to flip upside down and smash into the half door. So we decided to keep Marq inside also. Poor dears!

Thanks for asking about Dora. The next ultrasound is Friday, October 5th. I sure hope there's still a little one in the oven...

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy Cook-I had problems with Woody with the epiphysitis (in his rear fetlocks) at about 5 mos. He is about 9 mos now. I cut grain, but gave just enough to get a calcium/phos suppliment into him daily. He has had good grass and grass hay all summer. He is not too fat. The swellings are down. When he was gelded last week I had the vets look at him move, and they decided to x-ray his stifles, which were fine. BUT-I really do think he is sore. If Mom chases him away quickly, he tends to knuckle under and bunny hop a bit. His feet are at the correct angle, with trimming every 6-8 weeks since birth. He is not a warmblood, but has fresian/arab/saddlebread mixed with big boned appy. I am concerned about his fetlocks. Can you tell me more about this? What would I see if he was sore? He will pivot on both back legs while out and about, and he does not walk lame. What happens with long term epiphisitis? I want to start lunging him this winter for spring/summer yearling lunge line classes.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off the subject....I just needed to catch Cathy's attention

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My foal would love you. Right now she is stall, confined, restricted exercise is a biggy with this condition. She gets one of the cups they give you with Grow 'N Win which is a Buckeye feed. She has one of their grass plus mineral blocks and gets one flake of grass hay in the morning and one at night. Lameness wise nothing specific just a noticable uneven gate. If you still suspect your horse has it I would stall confine, poultice the affected joint, I give Equioxx every day to reduce inflamation and look into the Buckeye feed Gro 'N Win. This is a serious condition you only have a small window to correct before it causes damage.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What type of damage? What type of long term problems do horses with this problem in their fetlocks have? Can a vet see anything on an x-ray that would give us the diagnosis? They seem to think he is ok. I don't though.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can ruin their conformation making them either toe in or out or go over. Some of the damage can be visible on x-rays, some require surgery and others are beyond help.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cathy!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YIPPPPEEEEE!!!!! Dora is still preggo!!!!!!!!!
The other squished twin is now gone. YEA!!!!!!

I will let you know more when Mike calls after the vet leaves. I couldn't be there for the ultrasound, because I needed to be at work, I'm covering for someone on vacation.

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!!!!!!!! I've been checking all morning hoping for the good news update!!!!!! I'm so excited for ya'll!!!!! Woooohoooooooo Dora!!!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"GET THE PARTY STARTED" Doing the Pregnant Dance of Excitement for you Marilyn. I could not be happier for someone. You really deserve this. Don't you hate work getting in the way of your passion? So so happy. Big HUGS, Jan}

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I talked to Mike. Everything looks great. The growth and development is right where it should be. The heart beat is good. What else can I say except... YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dora is 43 days so far. We will do another ultrasound at 60 days.

Do you think I should go on 2008 Foal Watch Thread, or do you think it's still too iffy?

Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd go there. There are people there who care about you and Dora and even if something awful were to happen now; well it could happen to any of us at this point too. You're in 2008 foal watch, yay!!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you girls for being there for me!!!!! I'm so excited!!! I wish I could go home right now and give Dora a big hug. I guess it will have to wait.

Thank you so much Lisa and Jan!!!!
I'm having a celebration drink with my fish fry tonight, that's for sure. YEA!!!!!!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn Get on over to the 2008 Foal watch girl! I check all the threads and will follow you throughout this pregnancy to be sure. I am not expecting a baby so I will get my baby fill from you lovely ladies babies.

Jane
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so so pleased to read this fantastic news!
I have been watching all day too.
I haven't dared go on the 2008 foal watch thread yet either Marilyn but I am looking forward to all your updates. (((((((((Hugs))))))))) for you!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just caught this thread--YEAH i am so happy for you Marilyn!! congrats on the pregnancy and everything working out!! Can't wait til 2008 to see the baby pics

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! You are definitely in the 2008 foal watch with us! I'm soooooo happy for you!!!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you girls! I can't tell you how much it means to me to read all your encouraging posts and well wishes. What a good support team we have here!!!

You girls are the best!!! Marilyn

Kay B. Jones
Nursing Foal
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! I'm happy about Dora, too. Been keeping up with her story. Don't you learn alot here. You bet, join the 2008 Foal watch. I'm there. Topi is at the point this week that she lost her baby last year. Lots of prayers and lots of hope.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, fingers crossed! Is she being ultrasounded again to make sure she is still pregnant?

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, thank you, I'm very excited that Dora is hanging in there. I'm happy to hear your mare is doing so well. I have my fingers crossed for your mare also. Keep us posted on her progress.

ALLISON ARMENTO
Neonate
Username: Worth_a_shot_farm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW just read your post and it sure sounds like you have been on quite a rollercoaster ride!!! I am so glad everything is going well. Congrats!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! Your not kidding Allison. It's been a crazy, wild ride this breeding season, but I have one in foal right now and it's all worth it!!! I hope from now until she foals, it will be nothing but sheer boredom. LOL!

Katie Shaffer
Neonate
Username: Kateshaffer

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been keeping up with your situation, and I am excited for you and Dora!!! CONGRADULATIONS!!!! I will be watching for your 2008 foal!!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok sorry im a month late in posting. I am using the library computers and have had a time getting there during business hours. All of your boy vibes paid off. I'm having a little boy Jan. 23rd. Thanks all!! Also Ill be on the 2008 foal watch now. I didnt have time to read the post to catch up but I wish everyone well.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Jenni!!! I'm glad your wishes came true.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Jenni...that is excellent news! So glad that you are having a little boy..prayers for a healthy guy and a safe delivery for you. Busy year for you next year! Hugs...Jan

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's fantastic news Jenni, you wanted a boy so bad... I'm so happy for you!!!!! He's going to be here before you know it. With the holidays just around the corner, the shopping, cooking, wrapping gifts, ect... then a few short weeks, the baby will be here. I hope you'll have help with all you need to do.

Do you have a name picked out?

Take care and congratulations!!!! Marilyn

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep your fingers crossed girls, this morning is Dora's 60 day ultrasound. I'm so nervous!!!

I'll let you what the results are as soon as I get back to work. Isn't the sex of the foal supposed to be seen by this time? I'm going to ask him if he can tell. Although, I'm more concerned that she stays preggo, the sex of the foal would just be a bonus.

Bye for now, Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn...Fingers & toes crossed and prayers I'll be waiting for the good news! jan

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to find out....sending positive foal vibes to ya'll from Texas!!! She has just got to still be pregnant - fingers crossed and prayers said.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sending good thoughts your way Marilyn! Keep us posted.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dora is still pregnant. Yea!!!!! She having a little alien. It's so cute, it looks exactly like an alien sitting on a lounge chair. The heart is strong. I'm soooo excited!!!!

Thanks everyone for your support, God bless you all!
Marilyn

Kim Peavy
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Marilyn...I'm so happy for you....things are really starting to happen. I guess they couldn't tell the sex, huh?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 813
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DOING THE HAPPY DANCE FOR DORA....Boy so much dancing in the last couple of days! :-) Very good news..You deserve it Marilyn....

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news Marilyn! I'm so happy for you.

Jane
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulous news! You so deserve this! x x x

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh!! I am so happy for you and Dora!!!! I checked in earlier and there was no response yet; so when I looked in this time I was so happy for ya'll!!! Wooo hoooooo!!!!!!!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you girls!!!! It's been a roller coaster ride so far, that's for sure.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today is Dora's 88 day ultrasound. We couldn't do a 90 day because it's Thanksgiving.

I can't be there for the ultrasound because I have to stay at work to get payroll done, being that it's a short week with the Thanksgiving holiday.

My husband, Mike, will be there. He said he'll call as soon as he finds out anything. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes and prayers! I have my fingers crossed!

Marilyn

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keeping fingers crossed for you....I hope you get good news! Let us know as soon as you hear...Kim

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news, she's still pregnant. Much better tone. She got Patomic horse fever shot and the Phenobort shot. She is to stay on Regumate for another 2 months. She has two small follicles, that's why she's winking. Not uncommon, according to the vet. I guess that's all I know for now. It all sounds good to me.

So YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happier than ever right now. YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Marilyn!!! I'm so happy for you!! I just posted in Foals 2008 and hadn't seen this yet...I was worried. Congrats!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 456
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much Lisa! Isn't that the best ever news. I'm very excited! Yea!!!!

charlene birdsall
Yearling
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats again Marilyn, I forgot I wanted to ask you how you put Dora's due date next to your user name. I tried to change mine but couldn't figure out how.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much. The way I was told to do it and it worked, was go into your profile and put it on the same line next to your name. I did it once and it didn't work. I went out and back in and tried it again and it worked. I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time, but oh well...

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Marilyn!!!! I'm soooo happy for you! This has been such a long hard road and you're finally getting to some smooth spots. Congrats again.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Dora Go Dora Go Dora Bake a Good One!!! So so excited for you Marilyn......With you son away and not physically feeling well this was a good shot of good old fashion positive, glorious, joyful, news. Congrats....<3 Jan

Jane
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What fabulous fantastic news! I thought I posted yesterday but I can't have pressed the post it key!
I am really happy for you and Dora,fingers crossed for my mare Elphin will will be due about the same time if she has held onto it this time. I daren't have her scanned again as she gets so stressed.
Woohooo, go Dora!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone! This is truly a blessing for us. Jane, I'm excited to have someone else having a foal around the same time as Dora. Yea for all of us hitting those important dates!

Thanks again all, I'm so excited!!!
Marilyn

Terry Waechter
Yearling
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

marilyn

so very pleased for you...I will be right with you as my Viuda is due the middle of July. I hope you have smooth sailing from now on!! Terry

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Terry, I'm so glad I'm not the only one to have a foal in mid summer. Good luck to you and your mare also!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the old thread back again. Yea for that! Dora had her vet appointment last night. She didn't get ultrasounded because the vet said it was too darn cold. Bummer!

She was palpated and he said everything looked good.The uterius was large and if I remember correctly, he said that her cervix was elongated. Which he said was good. I never heard of that, is it good? I'm sure he's right, but I was thinking maybe I heard incorrectly.

I asked about her weight and he said she was perfect, don't change anything. What a relief!!!
The vet drew blood to check her progestrone. He said to keep her on ReguMate until the results come back. He also gave her her 5 month phenobort (sp) shot.

I asked if he felt movement, he said he didn't, he said it was too early for that. At the 7 month check up he said for sure he'll feel movement.

Meanwhile the nail still insists it's a filly. That thing circles like crazy!

I just wanted to let you know how things are progressing. I'm very excited and relieved that things are going well.

Take care all
Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay for you and Dora!!! I'm so glad that all is well and progressing as they should be.

I need to do the nail test on Iana; I want a filly so bad I may skew the results though.

Thanks for updating Marilyn!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Marilyn! I'm so glad Dora is doing well. The nail test also says Tali is having a filly. We should have everyone do nail tests and see how right they are :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, we're still going strong! I agree, we need to set up a thread for the nail test. Just for kicks.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brilliant news Marilyn, I am SOOOOO pleased for you and Dora.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you girls, you're all so sweet!! When the vet said the her cervix is elongated. Is this what's supposed to happen? I've never heard of this, but he said it's normal. Why is it elongated? I would think it would round, small and closed to keep everything in, this early in the pregnancy. I wouldn't expect it to be elongated until it was time to deliver.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,

That is a great update and wonderful news to hear. Tell Dora to stay on the straight and narrow!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for you support Heather, it means alot to me. :-)

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Marilyn!

Heather how is Grace doing? Would love to see some recent pics, since she is carring the same way Baby is. She is due March 1 or sooner, right?How is Buddy?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn Glad to hear Dora is doing so well. Wishing you the bigest healthiest foal of all.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 875
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!!!! I'm taking one vet appointment at a time, but so far so good!!!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 662
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, you are so welcome. Here for ya!

Charlene...Pleased to say that Buddy has been doing quite well. He is unbelievably tall. I am in awe of his size...he doesn't even have a clue. Reminds me of marmaduke :-).

Grace is doing well too. She is due approx. Feb. 15th.
You know, I posted yesterday on the 2008 mare thread, but I must have done something wrong, because it's poof...not there! So, I will go back and re-do it :-).
I've got to get all my stuff together for her...
I don't have any recent pics, BUT, can "one up" that for ya...go look :-).

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone! Last night I was cleaning the stalls and Dora was eating her hay and I saw the baby move alot. It's just so exciting to see this and know her foal is still hanging around. :-) When we left for Michigan to take Uh-O and Marq to the equine reproduction specialist, Dora and her companion were running so much in the pasture, they had to be stalled to calm down. But things are much quieter now. I'm so glad. That's why I was so happy to see movement, I was scared she be so stressed she would abort the foal. But so far, so good.

Anyway, I liked this vet the moment I met her, she really knows her stuff!

We got there Sunday night and the vet asked if I wanted to US that night. I said we should probably wait until tomorrow morning since we couldn't get semen at that moment anyway.

I knew Uh-O was very close and there was a good chance she ovulated already, but I just hoped she didn't. The next day the vet said Uh-O had 2 follicles at 40 cm and bring on the semen. My husband and I stayed overnight at the stallions location, so we got the collection and inseminated that morning with fresh semen. The vet said she will check at 14 days and if both follicles produced a pregnancy, she will crush one at that time. I think it's really great, my chances are doubled for a pregnancy. Yippee!

We did get another culture from Uh-O prior to breeding because she had e-coli a few weeks ago and did manage to get her clean. But then I noticed she was pooing all over her backend and I figured we should probably do another culture so I know she didn't reinfect herself. The vet said if it comes back positive she has time to medicate her. She will need to be caslicked.

Marq is just starting her cycle. The vet said since Marq has inflammation problems she will let Marq ovulate this time then flush her 2 or 3 times. After a few days she'll Prostin her, give her Settle in the beginning of her cycle and breed her when she gets close to ovulating. She will give her Oxytocin after she ovulates. She thinks she'll be breeding Marq in about two weeks.

I hope both mares take this year. My fingers are crossed. Anyway, I thought I'd let you know what transpired this weekend. :-) I'm really really excited!!! Sorry this is such a long post, but there was alot of information to relay.

I should know on June 9th if Uh-O is preggo. and around this time, Marq should be getting close to being inseminated.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, So glad the trip went well and you got the girls delivered and that best of all you say FOAL MOVEMENT!! Doing the fertility dance for you for Uh-O.....sound like your girls are in good hands.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doing the dance!!! Moon dancing that is!!

Marilyn, This couldn't have happened to a better person!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan and Laurie, I love you girls! I'm trying hard not to get too excited, I have a long way to go. I'm learning so much about breeding by my trials and errors and from this board, which I owe a great deal of gratitude to all of you.

I appreciatate your kind thoughts, words and prayers. Thank you... thank you!!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything sounds wonderful Marilyn and June 9th is my stallion's birthday so it's a great day! Fingers crossed for you!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy! I hope that's a good sign. :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh-O ovulated one follicle and not the other, and it looks like it's not going to either. That's alright, at least one ovulated. She had some fluid, so she was lavaged. The lab results should come back by tomorrow to see if she has her ecoli back. I hope not! I'll let you know what happens next. :-) Oh, I forgot to say, she'll be caslicked when we find out the results of the lab work.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, My vet caslicked once we had a fetal heartbeat......just throwing that out there.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, Uh-O has been pooing on her vulva area and not just the bottom half. She's had running poops and it's making a mess back there. So I think since there's a strong possibility she we recontaminate herself the vet doesn't want to take any chances.

That's why I'm doing another culture, just to make sure she's still clean before we get much further along.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got a call from the vet, Uh-O's culture came back positive for Strep Zoo. She is going to treat her and she said Uh-O should be cleared up in time, in case she is pregnant. Uh-O will be caslicked as soon as the medication is finished.

The vet is not concerned, she's just happy we did the culture.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sending healthy prego vibes

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jenni, I can use tons of preggo vibes.

If Uh-O is fortunate enough to get pregnant this time around, has anyone ever medicated so close to the embryo movement to the uterius? I was just wondering if medicating so close to this would make the uterius a little sensitive and try and terminate the pregnancy.

I would greatly appreciate any experience or knowledge of this situation.

Thanks!
Narilyn

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, sending preggo vibes!!!!

L

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~Doing the Preggo dance for you!!!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn I really hope you have three foals to care for next year!!. Sending preg vibes from far south!.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an email from the vet and she assures me that it shouldn't effect a pregnancy, because Uh-O has 48 hours after medicating before the embryo,(if there is one) to reach the uterus. What will be, will be. I'll know a week from Monday.

Thank you all, for your support. I'm crossing my fingers and toes.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US