SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can infected Fescue grass cause infertility or hurt early pregnancy

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Can infected Fescue grass cause infertility or hurt early pregnancy « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Yearling
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've checked postings here and I've read that infected Fescue grass causes problems in late pregnancy, but nothing about it causing problems while breeding mares or early pregnancy.

Does anyone have information regarding this? My mares are newly bred about a week and a half ago and will be bringing them home shortly and worry about them eating it. My mare lost one pregnancy this year, I was thinking this might be a cause.

I'm not even sure I have a Fescue problem. I would like to get samples to the agricultural extension office by us, but they never call me back.

Does anyone know the answer?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fescue mainly causes red bag deliveries. I have never heard of it causing problems early on. Also having your fescue tested is ok but not fool proof as one piece may not be infected but another will be if you have pregnant mares its best to eliminate fescue all together

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Endophyte-infected fescue (and other endophyte sources) has been linked to a later onset of estrus in the spring, irregular estrus, lower pregnancy rates, and a higher incidence of EED. I cannot cite research off the top of my head, but you might want to check Brendemuehl et al., 1994 (unknown title) who did observe the above.

Marilyn Lemke
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jenni for your response.

So I don't have to worry about this until later on, if they're pregnant. Good to know that. I read on one of Jos's links, that a person needs to bring about 20 samples of fescue in a 10 acre area, to have them checked. I'm going to have to see if there is another place I can go to analize for me.

Thanks again for your help!

Marilyn Lemke
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, that is not good news. But it's something I'll need to address.

Thank you for the information Jos.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your welcome
I have never had a problem with fescue but I believe that some fescue seeds that can be planted that are imune to the fungus thats just a rumor ive heard. if yours comes back ok I would still be there for delivery just in case its a red bag. Good luck and hope you have healthy babies and pregnancies
no that isnt good nrews about fescue ill have to look into that as well

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on August 09, 2007)

LeAnn
Neonate
Username: Fantasma111

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell you from my little experience with it that it can cause all sorts of problem getting mares pregnant. I did not manage to get anything in foal or to stay in foal the first half of the breeding season when we started here. After the mares were pulled off of pasture they all instantly cycled concieved and stayed in foal. Tht was the only thing we did differenly then before. Same mares same stallion just no grass.
There were 7 mares here that first yr.

Marilyn Lemke
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LeAnn, that is very very interesting. How soon did you breed your mares, after you put them on the dry lot?

I was thinking maybe after 90-120 days, I could put them out to pasture. It would be the beginning of November or December, so the grass would definately not be growing at that time.

On the other hand, I've read that fescue can reduce progestrine. This time around my vet has my mares on Regumate. Would this make it safe to keep them in the pasture, if I do have fescue?

(Message edited by marilyn_l on August 12, 2007)

LeAnn
Neonate
Username: Fantasma111

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They started cycling normally just as soon as they came off the grass. I think they were bred within a week or 2 of coming off the grass. They never went back out on it untill after they foaled if they were not being bred again.

Marilyn Lemke
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a great relief to hear they cycled so quickly!!

Do you happen to know where I can get a colored picture of red fescue? I hear that's what's previlant in our area. I would love to know what it looks like.

Thanks again LeAnn, that is great news.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_index&where-taxon=F estuca+rubra

here is a link with the best pic I could find

Marilyn Lemke
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great, thank you so much Jenni! We think we may have someone to come over and check out our field.

Thank you for taking the time to find this for me, your very sweet!

Marilyn

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your very welcome. If you need anything else I can surf for let me know. I am pretty house bound at the moment and am going nutty. So I apreciate the chance to actualy surf the web with a purpose.

mariana cremonte
Nursing Foal
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi, my mare is 280 days and I thought fescue was only a problem in the US, thanks to what you all were talking I just found that we have fecue here too -Argentina-, so will go now to inspect the grass!
here are some more pictures I found

http://www.viarural.com.ar/viarural.com.ar/insumosagropecuarios/agricolas/semill asforrajeras/saneustaquio/festuca.htm

mariana

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 585
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana,

If so pull your mare off the fescue:-)

mariana cremonte
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, I donīt know how to express it in English, she is on a wired couple of acres with not grass at all -it has been a hard winter, very cold- so I take her out to feed her at least twice a day, and when I do that she has her ration and then goes to whatever green is there, and if I am not mistaking there is fescue in there. I have been trying to let her do it because she seems desperate for some fresh green, do you think it could have harmed her already to eat it even if it was only for a few minutes a day (I never have enough time to let her more than half an hour there).
thank you
mariana

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If shes ingested any fescue at all be there for the birth. It is really impossible for someone to say wether shes had enough to hurt or not so I wouldnt risk it.

mariana cremonte
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I just spoke with my vet. He said there is fescue infected in the area, so I should not let her eat anything else but what I give her.
I am so glad I check on this thread!

Thank you experienced breeders!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you have a safe delivery let us know when the baby hits the ground.

Marilyn Lemke
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Mariana for the pictures. I have a better idea of what to look for. I'm happy you found out about your possible fescue problem. Please keep in touch. Thanks, Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 587
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana, I would still be on alert and hopefully you will be there for the birth. Being on fescue ups her odds for a "red bag delivery". I lost a foal to an unattended red bag; so please do some reading up on it so you will be prepared. I know that if a mare is removed early enough off of fescue the threat is not so great. I will keep you in my thoughts sending you positive vibes!!!

Laurie A Beltran
Nursing Foal
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hola Mariana,
I also would like to comment on the information recieved by all those breeders more experienced in topic's like this one. Tall Fescue thankfully doesn't grow up in the high desert unless you really take care of it... It's more for the curb appeal of most homes in San Diego...Mariana I will keep you in my thoughts... Hoping all goes well with the delivery. Keep us posted!
please

mariana cremonte
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all. I am still not sure if that is fescue or something else, I asked the people in the farm and the call it something else -I looked it up in the internet and what they mentioned has a different scientific name-.
I am still not going to take any chances and I am not letting her eat any -she did get upset this morning when I pulled her out of there without her eating!-.
And off coarse I will try to be there for the delivery, I did get on Amazon a bunch of books on foaling, and I am reading them -and panicking also but all the things that can go wrong!.
And Lauri, here in the Pampa everything grows by itself either if you care for it or not!
Thank you again,
mariana

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US