SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Opinions on PG, increased risk of twinning please

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Opinions on PG, increased risk of twinning please « Previous Next »

Jane
Neonate
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has gone back to stud after losing twins in March then reabsorbing in JUne.
The stud owner can certainly talk the talk and I trusted her to do her best by my mare.
Nearly 4 weeks on, nothing doing, she was scanned and jabbed with PG, there was an 18mm follicle. That was Wednesday. Got a text on Sunday to say she'd been covered, fantastic!
Communication is only by text as stud owner NEVER answers her phone, I asked yesterday how it was going and she said they only covered her once because of the increased risk of twinning after PG. Well I am no expert but what difference does the number of times she is covered make? Surely if there is more than one follicle and she is receptive, once would be enough?
On the other hand, one covering as soon as she showed receptive doesn't seem likely to me to produce a pregnancy, the odds must be significantly reduced?
I am fuming as they are sitting pretty on my stud fee NFFR so she will have to go back in Spring, be re-swabbed and start again.
I really feel they have been incompetant and why didn't they discuss it with me? I think they have got more mares than their stallion can cope with and that's why ashe was only covered once. Grrr!

BTW I am in the UK!

Ivy Rittenhouse
Weanling
Username: Appalotranch

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane,
Unless the stallion owner is having her scanned they will not know if she is ready to ovulate. I understand the frustration of being booked to a stallion that is over booked. The stallion I AI'd to has over 80 mares, and the owner sent me two 30 ml shipments, not the usual 60 ml each that I am use to. My vet wasn't too concerned, as she said it only takes one. Any how, back to your problem: If it was the right timing you should have not problems, but you said she was just showing receptiveness to the stallion, I too would be worried. Never-say-never, I got a mare in foal, last season, on her first day of standing and that was the only cover: She kicked the stallion and he was out for the rest of the season. After that, I said I would never live cover her again. Good luck, let us know if she took. -Ivy

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane...It is so frustrating not having good communication! I will have my fingers and toes crossed that your mare took! Like Ivy says it only takes one.....

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Use of PG did not increase the incidence of twin pregnancies in this study, which confirms the earlier findings where PG had no effect on the incidence of double ovulations" (Lindeberg H, Koskinen E, Huhtinen M, Reilas T, Perttula H, Katila T; (2002) Influence of PG administration and follicle status on the number of conceptuses; Theriogenology 58;571-574). The additional research referenced is Samper JC, Geertsema HP, Hearn P; (1993) Rate of luteolysis, folliculogenesis and interval to ovulation in mares treated with prostaglandin analogue on day 6 or 10 of oestrous cycle; Proc. AAEP 1993;39:169-70.

Additionally, Professor "Twink" Allen of the soon-to-close Equine Fertility Unit in Newmarket (England) observed at the 29th Asian Racing Conference that (our wording): "A singleton ovulation will result in a pregnancy about 58% of the time. On the other hand, a multiple ovulation will result in a pregnancy (single or multiple) about 86% of the time. As we have the ability to reduce multiple pregnancies at up to a 97% rate, this means that a multiple-ovulator will end up with a singleton pregnancy (if managed correctly) about 83% of the time!

Fresh sperm are generally considered to be viable for 48-72 hours in the reproductive tract of the mare, although for practical consideration when breeding without scanning 36-48 hours between breedings is considered optimal. The majority of mares ovulate in the last 24-48 hours of being receptive to a stallion's teasing. Hence, breeding a single time at the onset of estrus display (which will typically last 5-7 days) is unlikely to result in sperm still viable in the reproductive tract by the time the mare ovulates. Note that there are exceptions to this, and pregnancies have been observed with ovulation that occurred as much as 6 days after breeding, but those would be the exceptions and not the practical rule by which to time breedings.

Jane
Neonate
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for helping.
Jos, this is exactly what I feared, they covered her too soon.
Looks like I will have a law suit on my hands for return of the stud fee as I won't be taking her back next year now.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US