SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare not bred after 3 AI's

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Mare not bred after 3 AI's « Previous Next »

Jennifer S
Weanling
Username: Jens

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We did 15 day US monday. My mare is still not bred after the 3rd try. Try 1, was on Memorial day weekend, we had short cycled her which seemed to have no effect on her as her follicle just developed at her own pace. She did not take. Bred again on June 22,23 US on July 12 neg again thought well 3rd times the charm bred on July 14, 15. did US on the 30th no go again! What would you do? I am breeding to a stallion who is on the west coast I'm in the mid west. Should I collect/breed one more time or try a different stallion? The stallion I am breeding to is a rare breed of a rare color. My mare threw a colt just like him in 06. I bred to him before with no probs in 05 - 1st try in fact. I have my stud fee paid and will have to use it next year if I don't get her now. My mare is in good condition according to my vet she's in dandy shape. 9 years old has had 2 foals with no issues before this. She had a mild founder (2-3 degrees) in 06 d/t a reaction to Pneumobort K which occurred again when we tried to innoculate in 07 which started the same reaction. We stopped it with anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine before founder set it again. Other than that no probs. My vet says the sperm was about 20%. Is that bad? On both the second and third breeding we had 40mm follicle on the first day we bred and no follicle the second. I assume that means she ovulated. Is that good timing?

The other thing is d/t the rarity of the breed, I can't find a horse to breed live cover with, but had a man tell me he had frozen at a very good breeding facility that he's had 100% conception rate with. I do like the stallion, but isn't frozen less viable than fresh cooled? Or could there be a problem with the shipping distance for this stud? What would you do?

Ivy Rittenhouse
Weanling
Username: Appalotranch

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer,
I'll tell you what we did different this time, our second try; we infused the mare/w 60 cc antibotic soln hours post ovulation, and then followed up with the oxytocin prodicol. We believe the mare was having a clearence issue, due to IA-ing might not stimulate her to release oxytocin naturally like LC would. Just thought, and I wanted to share my experience, and we'll know if she took on the 13th.

Another thing, you said the semen was 20%, what was the percentage of progressive sperm? The stallion I bred to, on the first day was 50% with 90% progressive. The second day, 40% with 90% progressive....both the vet and stallion owner was very happy with it. If you have 20% and non are progessive then that is not too good...but it only takes one.

Good luck. I know who frustrating, and expensive it can be. -Ivy

Jennifer S
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks.
We're trying this sat/sun. She should be there by then.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer,

I will keep you and your mare in my thoughts and prayers and do a little fertility dance for you this weekend. I hope you have success!! Keep us posted.

Jennifer S
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my mare ovulated on Sat night/Sunday early am just as we expected. We also expected a shipment on Sat. afternoon. Problem was none arrived. The stallion owners vet made an error. I now have to short cycle - this Sat. This is my last A.I. try. If this does not work, I'm taking my girl for live cover with a local stallion. I guess what is meant to be is meant to be. I still love the stallion owner and her vet, everyone makes mistakes. They have a hx of being kind and very accomodating. So I would retain my breeding for next year - maybe with a different mare.

Jen
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update here. I decided one more try - I used a different vet - specializes in repro. She did everything she could and still no pregnancy. We did try "settle" also. Still no go. SOOOOOO, off we went to meet her new beau. I should know in about 10 more days if it worked.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you use Settle twice n a row and it does not work they will issue you a refund! If you call them they will fax you the paperwork to fill out.

Jen
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow that is good to know Cathy thanks! However, Since we did try 4 AI's with no success, I went into action with my plan B which was live cover. I had to travel only a few hours. I really lucked out to find a suitable stallion within that distance. Now at day 17 I finally got the good news that we did CONCEIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooo relieved.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jen...CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you! Great news!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jen...CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you! Great news!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jen that's fantastic news! So you bred her 5 times, is that right? I'm very happy for you! You live in Illinois and I live in Indiana. I have a mare that's due early August of 2008, if she doesn't lose it.

Good luck with your mare's pregnancy. Please keep us updated on her progress.

Again I just want to say congratulations and yippee!!

Marilyn

Jen
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS Y'ALL!!! Yes, Marilyn, I'm in Western, IL. Not too far from Moline. We will likely be having babies around the same time then. I'll pray your mare holds and holds healthy. Oh and yeah it was 5 trys to get a conception for me. This is only my third baby and it's weird I felt like my whole summer was spent hauling to the vet for either breedings or checks. WHEW. I only have 1 brood mare so far, can't imagine you folks that have like 100's of them - I suppose if you don't catch one in that case it's not the end of the world.

I had almost given up. I'll have a grey next year - as my mare and the stud are grey. Anyone believe the right horn left horn thing? This baby is right horn - meaning girl right? I know it's not science, but I've been keeping track and so far....I'm going to try the string Jan mentioned too. haha. It's just fun!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US