SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How soon can my mare travel after being bred

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » How soon can my mare travel after being bred « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Weanling
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I read this somewhere here, but for the life of me, I can't find it. So hopefully you won't mind me asking...

How long after a mare is bred, can she travel. Both mares are approx. 4 hours from here. One was bred this past Sunday, the other one will be bred tomorrow and maybe Thursday, if need be.

I've been trying to get these mares pregnant all summer and the breeder (the woman with the stallion) finally said "just bring them here, I'll get them pregnant." I jumped at the opportunity.

Anyway, what does the general consensus think? When will it be safe to bring these mares home?

Jackie
Yearling
Username: Justafarm

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am by far no expert, but from personal experience I can tell you this... I had taken a mare to the stallion last year. Mare was in heat when she arrived, was at breeder total of 7 days and was bred 2-3 times in that period. I brought her home 2 days after last breeding and all went well. Mare travels well, but it was a long drive (3 hours). Good luck!

Marilyn Lemke
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mares are not bad travelers. I'm going to try and see if the breeder will keep them until the 16 day ultrasound, so she can check the progestrine level. Oh, that reminds me of another question, when checking progestrine, do you only have to check it once, or do you have to do it multiple times?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the mare is a happy traveller, it probably makes little difference when you transport her. If the mare gets stressed, then cortisol levels rise, and progesterone levels drop, possibly threatening the pregnancy (although it really would have to be for an extended period for that to be the case - a few hours is probably not an issue).

Heat may also be a factor - if the mare overheats in transit then the pregnancy may also overheat and be threatened during the early stages.

Transport within 3 days of ovulation or after about 55 days or pregnancy are commonly suggested as being the safest times to transport.

Marilyn Lemke
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos and Jackie, thank you both for your imput. I will make sure we travel early in the morning.

Jos, the breeder suggests checking progestrine levels at the 16 day ultrasound. She put them on Regimate after ovulation. I was wondering, can a progestrine test taken once be effective, or does it need to be done at different times to get a true reading?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please read the article on this site about Regumate use - it will answer all your questions (follow that link).

(If you want to educate and are not concerned about annoying someone, you might print the article off and give it to the stallion owner as well!! :-))

Marilyn Lemke
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, the reason why she is putting the one mare on Regumate is because the first mare lost the pregnany somewhere between 30 - 50 days. We had another culture done (2nd one this year that came back with no growth) and she believes it could be her progestrine that could be to blame.

In spring the culture, biopsy and cytology all came back normal. Biopsy was Grade 1.

Both the breeder and the vet are working close together, so I believe he's the one who said to put her on Regumate the next day after ovulation.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US