SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lavage and the older mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Lavage and the older mare « Previous Next »

Louisa
Neonate
Username: Louisaz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an 18 year old mare who has not been bred for six years. She is an excellent producer but not easy to get in foal, probably because she retains fluid. For her last successful pregnancy she was lavaged the three days post-insemination.

In a moment of insanity I decided to try for one more foal out of her. Following a clean culture, she was bred with excellent quality shipped semen on Saturday. When we checked her on Monday she had ovulated. She had fluid so the vet lavaged her. She received three follow up shots over the course of that day. On Tuesday she still had fluid so she got another lavage. On Wednesday she still had fluid and got yet another lavage, four follow up shots over the course of the day, plus one this morning. She is also on regumate and banamine. The vet wants to see her again today.

Having reviewd the barren mare article on this site, I realize it was a mistake not to lavage her 4-6 hours after insemination, or at the very least the following day.

Nevertheless, what else can we do to make the best of this situation? Should I agree if the vet wants to lavage her again today? We are getting awfully close to the 5 1/2 day mark. I don't know if what phase the cervix is in.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure wouldn't have put a mare on Regumate who had fluid. I always ultrasound mares to make sure they are clear of fluid before putting them on Regumate.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. The cervix is closing by about day 3, so any treatment used with the intention of assisting in the clearing of uterine fluid needs to be done no later than day 3½;
  2. Check out the article on this web site about oxytocin use in the mare - it discusses exactly the situation you are dealing with and how to treat it;
  3. Three "shots" (of I assume oxytocin) over the course of a single day are totally inadequate in treating a mare in this condition;
  4. Regumate and Banamine would - in my opinion - be contraindicated in this situation. Regumate suppresses fluid absorbtion abilities of the uterus, plus it closes the cervix faster (thereby preventing fluid clearance); Banamine (flunixin meglumine) suppresses prostaglandin release - which is essential for stimulating the uterine contractions needed to clear fluid;
  5. If you're already at the 5½ day mark, there's nothing you can do now but cross your fingers and hope for the best - except perhaps planning ahead and finding a veterinarian experienced in equine reproduction (preferably a theriogenologist) to use the next time in case the mare does turn out to be not pregnant.

Louisa
Neonate
Username: Louisaz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I wanted to clarify that on Monday and Tuesday she had four shots of oxytocin (three given IM by me) each day. On Wednesday she received five shots (four given IM by me). She also received a shot this morning from me. She goes back to the vet for a check up this afternoon. Also, on Tuesday she received an injection of Estrumate.

My vet believes she ovulated on Sunday evening. She was bred on Saturday afternoon and checked on Monday morning, so we don't have an exact time.

We will have one more checkup this afternoon. Is there anything positive that we can do at this point? It sounds like stopping the regumate would not make a difference now. If they want to do another lavage should I decline?

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she doesn't take this time and still has fluid. You could consider a shot of Estrumate 4 hours post breeding, then follow with the oxytocin protocol.

My mare cleared fluid with the Estrumate when she didn't clear with Oxytocin.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, the oxytocin treatment seems a little more promising... :-)

Estrumate > 48 hours post-ovulation is contraindicated though as it has been shown to interfere with subsequent CL fuction :-(

As I noted, there's nothing much more you can do at this stage. As I also noted, the cervix is closing by about 3 days post-ovulation, so any uterine treatment needs to be performed prior to that point, so I would not lavage again.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is etched into my brain, no estrumate post ovulation. And no regumate until the scan reflects no presence of fluid.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said "If she doesn't take this time...4 hours post breeding..."

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon: Didn't say you didn't, but who's to say what the vet is giving in this case and when? :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US