SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

PLEASE HELP WITH MY MARE

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » PLEASE HELP WITH MY MARE « Previous Next »

charlotte teague
Neonate
Username: Rvcharlotte

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAVE A TRIPLE BRED SKIPPER W MARE. (MY HUSBAND HAD HER WHEN WE MET ) SHE IS 19 YRS OLD. MY HUSBAND KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT BLOODLINES AND HERS ARE FABULOUS. SHE IS ABSOLUTELY NEAR PERFECT.MY HUSBAND BOUGHT HER LAST YEAR FROM A FRIEND WHO HAD HER FOR MANY YEARS.( GOT A GOOD DEAL) NOBODY REALIZED WHAT THEY HAD. THE PROBLEM IS SHE IS A MAIDEN MARE WHO HASN'T BEEN NEAR A STUD FOR YEARS. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE SAFEST WAY IS TO BRING HER INTO CYCLE AND BREED HER. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH AI, BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT METHODS ARE AVAILABLE TO GET A MARE OF HER AGE AND LACK OF CYCLES TO COME BACK IN FOR BREEDING. SHE IS IN EXCELLENT HEALTH AND FITNESS OR ELSE I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER THE IDEA. I AM DESPERATE NOT TO LET HER COMBINATION OF BLOODLINES END AT HER. I WOULD SINCERELY APPRECIATE SOMEONE WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THIS AREA TO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE WITH ME, SO I CAN MAKE THE MOST INFORMED DECISION POSSIBLE. I HAVE HEARD OF FERTILITY SHOTS, BUT TO BE HONEST, I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THEM. I HAVE HEARD THEY CAN BE HARD ON A MARE. I'M SURE MY MARE WOULD BE OK WITH THEM, BUT I AM HESITANT BECAUSE I AM NAIVE TO THEIR COST AND EFFECTIVENESS. I WANT TO BE SURE I DO EVERYTHING AS RIGHT AS POSSIBLE. I KNOW THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO WOULD SAY NOT TO DO IT AT ALL. I AM STILL CONSIDERING THIS OPTION, BUT I AM TRYING TO LOOK AT ALL THE OPTIONS I CAN BEFORE DECIDING NOT TO DO IT AT ALL. ALL HELP AND INSIGHTS THAT ARE OFFERED ARE TRULY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte-

While you may have some success in getting your mare bred, my experience with older maidens has not been positive. We had a palomino Zan Par Bar mare that was just gorgeous and very correct in her confirmation. She was in good condition physically but her uterus just could not sustain a pregnancy. Sadly, no amount of intervention ( and we tried many things ) would keep her in foal. After three attempts and her loosing actual pregnancies, (and quite a bit of money spent I might add) we gave up. My first advice is to find a well recommended vet with a lot of equine repro experience. Have the mare evaluated and go from there. I wish you a lot of luck in your venture. Ev

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Find a good reproductive veterinarian (not all vets are capable or good);
  2. Plan ahead;
  3. Do good breeding soundness and pre-breeding evaluations;
  4. Plan on using the oxytocin protocol as laid out on this web site (follow the link) or something similar;
  5. Be prepared to spend a little extra money, time and stress;
  6. Cross your fingers.
We breed a fair number of older mares each year, and although they may require a little more work, we have a pretty good success rate, so it can be done. It requires dedication and time. And there are always exceptions...

Mila Davidson
Neonate
Username: Promise_me

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 14 year old maiden mare that I have spent years trying to get in foal.
After alot of money and time, I had the vet do a embryo transfer and on the flush they recovered twin embryo's. One embryo graded well, the other did not, so I am hoping for atleast one viable pregnancy.
Hate to say it but that may be the only way.
On the other hand, I have two other mares, one 20 and one 24 (not maiden) that I am still breeding. The 24 year old had a colt this spring and did fine. She looks and acts great so I decided to breed her again.
Good luck with your mare.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the key is that this mare is a maiden, we too have had many older mares have foals without any difficulty, but they had been bred previously. I do believe that makes a difference in the success rate. Best of luck Charlotte and keep us posted with your venture! Ev

charlotte
Neonate
Username: Rvcharlotte

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am taking her to an equine vet on the 8th for an ultrasound...the vet said we could start with the ultrasound and take her one step at a time. should i ask the vet to do any other tests while we are there?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US