SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Does she seem pregnant? ( with pic)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Does she seem pregnant? ( with pic) « Previous Next »

melanie
Neonate
Username: Melanie16

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello, i am new to this site and new to owning a mare. i havent had my mare very long and lately she seems to be looking alot wider then normally and she seems to be dropping. but her udder doesnt really look all that big. but when i milk her. she had this clear sticky liquid and in the last few days i have milked her it has had a yellowish tint to it and is very sticky like syrup. could she be bagging up or could this be something else...she seems to be eating fine.. but i cant tell wether she has a hay belly or not..do mares produce liquid even if their not pregnant and supposively she is a maiden mare. if anyone could give me some advice i would sooo appreciate it very much

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melaniescam3089.jpg

Jenny Ireland
Neonate
Username: Jenny_i

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Melanie. I am new on this site too, but do have some experience. Your mare does not look pregnant, but she is a maiden. Can you take some pics of her udder? Also I would get in touch with the previous owners and ask them if she had access to a stallion and/or was bred. I would also contact your vet and ask him/her to check the mare out. Good luck.

melanie
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the previous owner said she was most likely out with the stallion. and i am pretty sure she hasnt came in heat since i have owned her. yeah i will try to get some pictures this evening. but why would she have liquid in her udder??

Jenny Ireland
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would definitely get your vet out. She could very well be pregnant or she could be having a false pregnancy. Did the previous owner say when she was with the stallion? Keep us posted.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call a vet, if she is in foal she does not look like she is going to foal anytime soon, but still you need to know.

melanie
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no he didnt say when she was out there with him. but the guy owned liked 30 horses and she was skinny when i got her. but he said that most of his mares are due by this month or next month. he said to keep an eye on her. but it just seems like every day she is getting wider and wider and it looks to me like her belly is dropping a bit. also she has these veins from her udder and the seem to be getting alot bigger and you can see them from a distance now. but if she is pregnat i hope it will be healthy and she will be fine. i have been trying to get my dad to get the vet out but he seems to keep forgeting about it. and he said he doesnt want to spend alot of money on her if she isnt close to even being pregnant. but i will try to get him to call the vet

Jenny Ireland
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, I would also up her protein intake, although if she is pregnant and in her last weeks, it might not help. I don't think it could harm her. I would try and persuade your Dad that it is important to get the vet to check her. It might save him a bundle down the road.

melanie
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have been feeding her sweetfeed every evening..but she has been staying up in a big pasture up the road from me...i probably need to start bringing her down to the house to keep a better eye on her..but i checked on her earlier and i forgot to bring the camera with me but her vulva seemed to be kind of opened at the bottom..i will go up there again and take some more pictures of her i you would like to see them?

Jenny Ireland
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetfeed contains molasses which is sugar. Better to try for a broodmare pellet. Don't know what you have in the States, but I am sure your local feedstore will stock something in that line. You could also start giving her a little alfalfa hay or alfalfa/orchard grass mix which does have a much higher protein and gradually increase it. I would also split your mare's feed into at least two feeds in the day - one in the morning and one in the evening. Your vet could also advise you once you know whether she is pregnant or not, whether you can worm her (if you haven't already) and give her the shots she might require. I think Jos here on this board is better qualified than I to give you advice in this regard. Some pics would be helpful, but I still think you should call your vet. Good luck and keep us posted.

melanie
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will try and get some pictures tomorrow cause i totally forgot about it when i went and checked on her...i will try to get some alfalfa..and my mom is going to call the vet tomorrow...also my dad went to the feed store and they didnt have anything for pregnant mares..i dont know why they wouldnt

melanie
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also does anyone have any messengers..it would be alot easier to talk then on her and it would be easier for me to send the pictures...i would really appreciate it very much :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US