SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos... anyone PLEASE help

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Jos... anyone PLEASE help « Previous Next »

Lisa M
Nursing Foal
Username: Lisamm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay so I have a 18 yr old mare that has been bred every year with AI and has took the first try, this year we breed her with cooled semen 1 straw and she ovulates within 24 hours, we have her checked back 14 days later, but she ended up having an embryonic death on the 17th day. So we start watching her follicle to breed her again, she had a 48mm follicle when we bred her at 7am, my vet checked her at 5pm and she still had not ovulated, so he checked her again at 9pm and she ovulated and went ahead and put in the second dose of semen just to be sure we got her I guess. Everything looked good and we thought was good to go, he suggested that we put her on regumate for safe measures, so we started her on regumate after she ovulated. We went back yesterday for a 15 day post breeding ultrasound and he cannot find a pregnancy, but she has no follicles whatsoever and has a BIG CL, and a few decent size cysts, which he says it could be hiding and wants to check her again here in a few days. I have over $4,000 in this stud fee and shipping and I am getting a little irritated, can you please offer me some help/advise... the stallion owner no longer ships after July 1st so if she is not bred I have to leave this 18 yr old mare open which I am not very happy about! I am planning on taking her down to the stud next year, but I am just not sure what is going on!! Thanks for your time!!

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frustrating isn't it?

Sounds like you hit it on the money insemination wise. At this point all you can do is give it a few days and check again.

On average it takes more than one try to breed a mare, so you are not without company.

Fingers crossed for you!

Lisa M
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes very frustrating!! This was our second AI try of the year, and they both went perfect, other than the fact that she is probably not bred..

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa,

I am really crossing my fingers for you too! Hopefully there is a baby hiding somewhere. Please keep us posted. I had a similar frustrating experience last year and the third time was the charm. What is the reason the stallion owner does not ship after July 1st? Is it possible that they may make an exception? Or is it because of a show/work schedule?

Lisa M
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In their contrct it states July 1st is the last day, dang it anyways...

Teresa Byersdorf
Neonate
Username: Bravehart

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some stallions don't ship well once it gets hot. A stallion I used this year stopped shipping June 1st..due to heat. Fortunatly, I got my mare confirmed pregnant before the shut off date. At least the stallion owner is honest and won't ship when the "goods" are less than desireable! LOL

Lisa M
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We tested the semen and it was 65% alive, and the vets were very pleased with the semen.... I am at a loss for now...

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to jinx you or anything, but I've got a mare I've been trying to get knocked up for 3 years now, next week will be our 6th try at AI.

Hang in there, and remember mare is a four letter word!

Jennifer S
Nursing Foal
Username: Jens

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, I'm was freaking because my now seasoned broodmare is on her 3rd try of AI this year. This foal (hopefully will be a foal)has also cost over 4K & is not even conceived yet. No haggling on the sales price that's for sure. She has had 2 prior foals in 05 then 06. I let her have a rest (any opinions on allowing a mare a year off?). She was pregnant when I purchased her then we AI'd her a month after foal heat. She took on the 1st try. So I guess I've been incredibly lucky, but 3. Ouch. The stallion I am breeding to is 2 thousand miles away in a warmer climate, so I'm worried about it getting later also. Did I mess up the natural order by letting her rest? I thought I was doing right by her.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jennifer,

I was in the same boat last year with big $ and finally got pregnant on the 3rd try...we are now on day 329...so hopefully third time will be the charm for you too! My vet says that if a mare is kind of hard to get pregnant then its best to breed her every year.....don't know if its true or not. Good luck and let us know the good news.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always been told that they take time off when they need it.

My mare had 5 in a row, and got a year off--now I've been trying for three...I don't think that is the issue with her, but if they had kept up on her repro exams, I think they might have caught the problem sooner.

As long as the stallion is sending semen with a high enough motility rate, keep trying. I would communicate with the stallion owner and see how he is holding up.

Jennifer Lynn Scott
Neonate
Username: Jennylynn

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work with a grand old lady who is currently in foal to her 13th foal, without a break. We discussed giving her a break but the old girl looks a picture and we are worried if we give her a year off, we won't get her back in foal.

Jan Seager
Neonate
Username: Deserthorse

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a similar situation with my mare. She is a maiden having lost her foal at two months last year. I bred her again this summer, with little hope, as follicles did not grow as expected. We AI'd her anyway and at 3 weeks were unable to find anything via US but her uterus was toned. Checked her again at six weeks and she is in foal. I'm having her put on regumate and keeping my fingers crossed for a healthy baby next May. Hang in there and good luck!

Jennifer S
Weanling
Username: Jens

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, I did not realized someone had answered me here. I'm still trying as you can tell from my today post. 4th time. Do I do it? or do I get someone else. My gut level is that the stallion is not shipping well. Thanks Jan. I appreciate some sympathy here. I have so much wrapped up I really need to sell one. I was hoping to next year (& not the 3 I have so far lol). I have been really lucky, I've had 2 gorgeous foals from this mare. Unbelievable really. Both rare colors. 1 bay and 1 palomino. Bay for this breed while not VERY rare is still not gray.

Teresa Byersdorf
Nursing Foal
Username: Bravehart

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in there...as long as you have ruled out any problems with the mare or stud..keep trying.

I tried 3 times last year via AI on a maiden mare...had problems with the semen on two of those shipments. This year...did it 3 times again..and she caught on the last time..which was the 6th AI...foal better be a keeper as I will never get my money back on it! LOL...This year...semen looked good..mare looked good..vet could see no problem, yet still took 3 tries to get her bred.

Ivy Rittenhouse
Weanling
Username: Appalotranch

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teresa,
We just insemenated, a mare, for the second time, and it is expensive and if I have to do it again I swear I'll have to take out a loan for the third try. The resulting foal, hopefully will be a filly and will be a keeper. Congraulations, you finally got her in foal!! I'll know something after the 13th, and I have my fingers, toes, and praying hard. -Ivy

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer, I know how disappointing those ultra sounds are when you developing follicles and not a pregnancy.:-( I know that last year it took three AI's. I know that we did it all on the last try. We used the drug Settle http://www.expectbetterresults.com/sitemap.html; we used the oxcytocin protocol that Jos has on the board, we flushed her with antibiotics post breeding.....My hopes are with you.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US