SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lutlyse to get rid of cysts??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 2 » Lutlyse to get rid of cysts?? « Previous Next »

Mary Susan Newill
Nursing Foal
Username: Msnewill

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,
I had some folks try to tell me that if you lysed a mare real heavy that had a lot of cysts that it would "knock" them out and make her breedable....Sounds like a wives tale to me but thought I would inquire...also thought that if that were true then the vets would have a cure all for those non breeding mares...I was told by these folks that it works in cattle and they have heard that it works in horses but when I stated that it was used to knock out the CL they looked at me like I was a smart A... Comments anyone....
Susan

Beverly
Neonate
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We done that to a mare I had. The cyst did go away but it came back.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't comment on cattle, but there is no indication that it should or would work in mares, nor is there a physiological reason that I can figure out as to why it would work.

Maybe the people that use it are just so fed up with their mares not getting pregnant that they want to punish them by getting that sweat rolling and the cramps coming...

I should also add that cysts are rarely a problem as far as establishing or maintaining a pregnancy, so there is really no reason with most cysts to even consider treatment to remove them. The only time they are an issue is if they are so large that they interfere with early conceptus mobility within the uterus; if they are so located as to interfere with cervical closure; or if they are so numerous as to cause endometrial incompetency.

Beverly
Neonate
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This must not have been a cyst that was on my mares ovary. The vet said it was as big as a mellon. When she advised giving the lute it went down but came back up with the next heat cycle. Not being able to get a mare in foal is aggravating but I don't know why anyone would want to get one cramping just because they were aggravated with them.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh.... the obvious question that I should have asked, but didn't! :-)

Where was the alleged cyst?

I say "alleged" because it is generally agreed that the most common site for cysts - reproductively in the mare - is going to be the uterus, which was what I thought was being talked about. True ovarian cysts are rare and would be unlikely to be affected by prostaglandin. One sometimes hears of "cystic follicles" which happen in cows with reasonable regularity, but are technically not found in horses. The nearest thing to be found in a horse is the annovulatory hemorrhagic follicle, and which may resolve with prostaglandin use - but it's not a cyst!

Keri Campbell
Neonate
Username: Kerisilver

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im really sorry if this is posted twice...computer issues!Anyway, is there a regular/ongoing treatment for cysts? or, something that will minimize formation of cysts?Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally, the rule for cysts (and I presume we are talking uterine/endometrial cysts) is "if they're not bothering you, don't bother them".

You can have mares that have many cysts and yet get and stay pregnant with no trouble. "Treating" those mares to remove the cysts can actually reduce conception rates in some cases.

If you have a mare that has cysts and is not getting/staying pregnant, first make sure that the case of the pregnancy failure is indeed the cysts! There are lots of other potential causes.

Presuming that the cause is indeed identified as being cysts related, the more successful treatments tend to be related to manual removal. Laser surgery, manually bursting, puncturing with biopsy forceps, curettage, or removal with a electro-cauterizing loop.

Cysts are typically indicative of other uterine (endometrial) changes (e.g. lymphatic drainage), so the cysts themselves may not be the issue, but the other changes could be.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US